carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Wheel & Tire Advice Needed

I guess my concern is combined wheel and tire weight. My dilemma is that I cannot figure out which wheel and tire combo I want for the Toyobaru this year for autocross. The idea is to run the stock street-tire class. The first problem is that there are so few lightweight wheels available in the required stock size/offset/etc. The second problem is that the weight of the tires I would pick offset any gains in buying expensive wheels.

I want the Dunlop Direzza ZII tires that are just coming out. The only sizes so far proven that will work with my stock-sized wheel requirements are:
215.45.17 - 23 lbs.
225.45.17 - 26 lbs.
235.40.17 - 24 lbs.
The current OEM wheels are relatively heavy at just under 21 lbs, but the crap tires only weigh 20 lbs. totaling 41 lbs. per corner. The lightest wheels available in stock size are quite pricey and check in at 14 lbs. with another slightly less pricey option at 17 lbs.

I guess this question is mostly for the autocrossers, but is a 4-7 lbs. difference per corner really worth an extra $1k-1.5k for the lighter non-OEM wheels? Should I even consider the weight of the tires in my decision?

The only other mods I have ready for the car are a larger front anti-sway bar, camber bolts, and possibly an exhaust.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I guess my concern is combined wheel and tire weight. My dilemma is that I cannot figure out which wheel and tire combo I want for the Toyobaru this year for autocross. The idea is to run the stock street-tire class. The first problem is that there are so few lightweight wheels available in the required stock size/offset/etc. The second problem is that the weight of the tires I would pick offset any gains in buying expensive wheels.

I want the Dunlop Direzza ZII tires that are just coming out. The only sizes so far proven that will work with my stock-sized wheel requirements are:
215.45.17 - 23 lbs.
225.45.17 - 26 lbs.
235.40.17 - 24 lbs.
The current OEM wheels are relatively heavy at just under 21 lbs, but the crap tires only weigh 20 lbs. totaling 41 lbs. per corner. The lightest wheels available in stock size are quite pricey and check in at 14 lbs. with another slightly less pricey option at 17 lbs.

I guess this question is mostly for the autocrossers, but is a 4-7 lbs. difference per corner really worth an extra $1k-1.5k for the lighter non-OEM wheels? Should I even consider the weight of the tires in my decision?

The only other mods I have ready for the car are a larger front anti-sway bar, camber bolts, and possibly an exhaust.
It's not worth the money unless you are competing at a high level.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I doubt 4lbs per corner will make a material difference, guessing no. 7 is quite a lot, but stickier tires are first. Why don't you put them on the stock wheels first or are they too narrow?

Insideline upgraded their fr-s wheels/tires to volks + 245 yokos:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...rack-test.html

Track test went from 0.89 to 1g. Braking from 114 to 107ft. Auto-x (some other post that I can't find the link to on the new edmunds site ) went dropped from 66 to 62ish seconds.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Agreed. However, if you change wheels a lot (when is street tire not really street-street?), weight savings can be a big convenience factor...especially when you run last heat in an oft-delayed event in 90 degree 90% humidity weather and you need to swap before going home. How much money how much weight is worth to you is your call.

Don't bother looking for anything useful re: tires from the Inside Line thing equ is talking about if you haven't read it before. Those guys are so new and slow that the tires can't be looked to as any kind of factor.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I'm definitely getting the tires, but I was leaning toward just putting them on the stock wheels. I only want to be competitive with WDCR, but I want to make an appearance at one national-level event this year.

Good point about the changing wheels/tires in June/July/Aug heat! I do like being able to just up-and-go when I'm done.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote