carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-31-2024, 12:17 PM   #2381
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That’s a nice build. I skipped the premium package because I didn’t want LCA; having lived with the car there are blind spots with the top up, so maybe it would be nice to have.

I did spec nav though I didn’t renew the Porsche Connect service because it’s stupid expensive. I put in a wireless CarPlay dongle and just use that, so frankly might not do nav on another car; Porsche nav isn’t the easiest to use, anyway.

I like the color combo even if I generally don’t like grey cars. The red interior is cool.

Last suggestion would be to reconsider painting the roll hoops body color. I actually think they look best in black, because it coordinates with the other black trim.

Yeah, My Porsche SA that has been there for over 40 years has previously stated that the convertibles should always be equipped with LCA. He doesn’t feel anything else really needs it.

The cost of Nav is it difficult pill to swallow when we all know it should be standard, especially at this price point. Is Porsche connect only free for a year? Edit: I used the Nav in the T yesterday. It was easy and worked great, but that probably has a lot to do with PCM. 6.0.

I have always waffled on the painted roll hoops. I recently saw a white Boxster with the body colored roll hoops and I thought it looked good. It is probably not that notable with Agate Grey and I refuse to pay the premium again for one of the “special colors.” It’s a total sham!

FC I would appreciate any input from you as well.

Last edited by SCA; 03-31-2024 at 12:45 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:23 PM   #2382
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

I did spec nav though I didn’t renew the Porsche Connect service because it’s stupid expensive. I put in a wireless CarPlay dongle and just use that, so frankly might not do nav on another car; Porsche nav isn’t the easiest to use, anyway.
Which wireless CarPlay unit did you buy, I’d like to get one for my Audi’s and the Porsche.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:31 PM   #2383
JST

The nav still works but you lose active traffic if you don’t renew, which is mostly what I use it for locally. I think you get a year; after that it’s like 180 bucks a year which is silly when the iPhone does it for free. BMW is like $100 which is easier to justify.

Alan, I got the Carlinkit, like $68 on Amazon. I got the 5.0, which also does Android; if you just want iPhone CarPlay, the 4.0 is apparently fine.

It works flawlessly 98 percent of the time. Every now and then it doesn’t connect quickly for whatever reason but mostly it’s fine.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:55 PM   #2384
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Thoughts on this BGTS build sans the exterior/interior color combo?

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6URBH0
It is a sharp looking car.

I like the GTS look on the 718s especially.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:29 PM   #2385
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
The nav still works but you lose active traffic if you don’t renew, which is mostly what I use it for locally. I think you get a year; after that it’s like 180 bucks a year which is silly when the iPhone does it for free. BMW is like $100 which is easier to justify.

Alan, I got the Carlinkit, like $68 on Amazon. I got the 5.0, which also does Android; if you just want iPhone CarPlay, the 4.0 is apparently fine.

It works flawlessly 98 percent of the time. Every now and then it doesn’t connect quickly for whatever reason but mostly it’s fine.

Simply out of curiosity and without doing any investigation how does this connect to the vehicle?
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:01 PM   #2386
JST

It plugs into the USB plug in the armrest, where you’d plug your phone to do wired CarPlay; it basically mimics a wired CarPlay connection as far as the car is concerned.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote