carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #1191
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Prius lol
That must be the Delaware Supercharger. Love how the parking lines aren't lined up right (the Supercharger should be on the line, not in the middle of the spot...)
Old 03-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #1192
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Most Superchargers have about 1/2 the spaces dedicated to charging-only. The other 1/2 usually allow "general parking" for a specified time (can vary -- 30 min, 90 min, etc)... Depends on the landlord and avail parking...
There are only 15-20 spaces in the entire rest area... I really had no choice regardless of the rules. Here's Google's street view of the area from before they remodeled and added the superchargers. The area isn't any bigger now, just nicer:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/M...Js_veDrczA!2e0
Old 03-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #1193
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
There are only 15-20 spaces in the entire rest area... I really had no choice regardless of the rules. Here's Google's street view of the area from before they remodeled and added the superchargers. The area isn't any bigger now, just nicer:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/M...Js_veDrczA!2e0
I'm familiar with the Merritt Pkwy rest areas... That ones relatively large!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #1194
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
That must be the Delaware Supercharger. Love how the parking lines aren't lined up right (the Supercharger should be on the line, not in the middle of the spot...)
Good eye, it is the Delaware one
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #1195
JST

There are two different drivetrain setups in AWD cars. One uses the big motor from the P85 in the back and a smaller motor in the front--that's the P85D. The other uses two smaller motors, one in front and one in back. That's the 85D.

Both the P85D and the 85D have higher MPGe ratings on the highway than the RWD 60 or 85, IIRC. That, coupled with the higher top speed of the P85D, led people to think that the gearing of the motors might be different, but until someone cracks one of the gearboxes open no one knows for sure. It may just be the "torque sleep" that ZBB referred to, putting the big motor in the back to "sleep" when it can.

The 85D has a higher rated range (and thus a higher overall efficiency) than the RWD 85 (which continues to use a big motor in the back, though without the high power inverter from the P85). The P85D has a lower rated range than the RWD 85, suggesting that despite being better on the highway it takes an efficiency hit elsewhere.

Non-Teslas parking in a Supercharger spot fill me with a white hot rage. The analogy of me parking the Tesla in front of a set of gas pumps and wandering in to use the bathroom is perfectly apt. That said, I will forgive momentary transgressions for brief calls of nature, so long as there is no other choice.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #1196
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Non-Teslas parking in a Supercharger spot fill me with a white hot rage.
And thus the term "enTeslament" was coined.

Quote:
The analogy of me parking the Tesla in front of a set of gas pumps and wandering in to use the bathroom is perfectly apt. That said, I will forgive momentary transgressions for brief calls of nature, so long as there is no other choice.
What about a Tesla parked at a supercharger and not actively being charged? Like those that pump, leave their car in the spot and enter the c-shop and spend 20 minutes farting in the shitter, buying big gulps and otherwise not actively pumping and blocking access?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #1197
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
And thus the term "enTeslament" was coined.

What about a Tesla parked at a supercharger and not actively being charged? Like those that pump, leave their car in the spot and enter the c-shop and spend 20 minutes farting in the shitter, buying big gulps and otherwise not actively pumping and blocking access?
Yes, Tesla owners who do that are douchebags. I haven't encountered that yet, though others have.

Some tolerance is needed, because if you park the car and go in to have lunch there's the possibility that it will finish charging at a time where you can't just drop everything and go out and move it. But if it's busy, you should minimize that. Same as at the gas pump.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #1198
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, Tesla owners who do that are douchebags. I haven't encountered that yet, though others have.

Some tolerance is needed, because if you park the car and go in to have lunch there's the possibility that it will finish charging at a time where you can't just drop everything and go out and move it. But if it's busy, you should minimize that. Same as at the gas pump.
You're still at the very tip of the onslaught that will be coming as electric cars really become mainstream. I don't believe your experiences (good and bad) will be typical of the new normal when it gets here in 15-20(?) years. It's all still a novelty in every way. What you early testers are willing to put up, what extras you're willing to do and what expectations you have for your short term are only what they are in the present.

Remember bimmerfest.com.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 PM   #1199
JST

Very true. I've noticed a real change even in the year I've owned my car.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #1200
ZBB
Relic

Tesla has updated the app to add Supercharging alerts with the latest firmware 6.1). When the car hits 80% at a Supercharger, you get an alert saying that Supercharging is almost finished... That should help get people moving if they are charging and doing other things...

The firmware being rolled out now (6.2) enhances those alerts -- will tell you when you have enough charge to get to the next Supercharger or your Destination (based on your Nav routing)...

Both of thos should help owners feel comfortable with unplugging when they have enough charge to keep going. Due to the Supercharging taper, the last 20% of the charge takes as long as the first 80% -- and the last 2-3% is agonizingly slow. Since I have a 60, we had a couple of times when we charged to near 100% to get to our next destination with plenty of reserve on the road trip last summer... But that was before the energy use estimates were avail (released earlier this year...). It was nice last week only needing to charge to 60-70% at a couple of our supercharger stops -- and we even drove past a couple Superchargers that we didn't need to use.