carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
What it got me was:

- A "lowered" suspension. But no one has yet to identify a single part that is different than the normal suspension
- 20" wheels that are are soft and dent so easily that no one wants them, so they're worth no more than a cheap replacement set from Tirerack.
- A carbon fiber spoiler that still hasn't arrived. ("production issues")
- Pedal covers.

Your shit's so hawt, tho, even without the spoiler!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Wait. You're regretting not buying the performance stealth, but it was a scam? Confused.
No, I got the non-stealth. $5k extra for nothing of value.

I edited to clarify.

Last edited by rumatt; 09-23-2019 at 01:50 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #13
JST

I guess that’s right, plus the red paint and white interior are still extra, so the delta between what I paid and a modern version of my car is smaller than it first appears.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I just priced out a 3 and a Y (for my Mom). The Y prices out less than I paid for my 3 (but no tax credit...). The 3 prices out about 6k less than my 3 (I have just the regular dual motor...)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
No, I got the non-stealth. $5k extra for nothing for nothing it value.

I edited to clarify.
Can you edit this post to clarify it as well?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Not sure what the tank size on the 2 is, but for around town driving the range on the F80 is 200 to 250 miles.
I drive my M3 hard and get ~250 miles to a tank. IIRC, the computer claims 19mpg. That does include highway. But they are fast highway miles and not many.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #17
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Can you edit this post to clarify it as well?
Also very confused. What's a "P3D stealth"? And what's the scam?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
JST

I filled up on a low fuel warning light with 210 miles shown the other day, but most of my driving is really local.

250 is more typical if I do more of a mix.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #19
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I filled up on a low fuel warning light with 210 miles shown the other day, but most of my driving is really local.

250 is more typical if I do more of a mix.
Yes. Highway is significantly better in the 2.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #20
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Also very confused. What's a "P3D stealth"? And what's the scam?
Sorry. The confusion is partly because of my poor explanations, partly because of Tesla's miserable options naming scheme.
When ZBB, JST and I bought, two separate options existed

1. "Performance version" for +$10k. This made the car faster relative to the "AWD Long Range" version. This vehicle was known as "P3D-" on the interweb.

2."Performance Upgrade Package" (sometimes called PUP) for an extra $5k. This gave you a lowered suspension, 20" wheels, bigger brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, and pedal covers. This vehicle was called "P3D+" on the web. It was rumored that only the P3D+ would get track mode, and this drove many people to spend the extra $5k.

Then one day Tesla declared that #2 was now free on all Performance vehicles. There would be only one version of the "Performance" and it would have all the goodies.

People who paid the $5K whined like children on twitter, Elon got in a twitter fight with one of them and offered a $5k refund to anyone who paid for #2, as long as they gave up their free supercharging. When I called to request my refund the Tesla employee said, "Ah yes, the twitter incident. Could you call us back in a few days? We're still scrambling to figure out how we're going to deal with this."

But then the P3D- crowd whined ("why did they get a refund but not us? Now they paid the same as we did but they got more stuff than we did") so he extended the $5k refunds to P3D- as well.

Then Track Mode software update rolled out and appeared in both P3D- and P3D+. So in hindsight the P3D- was a pretty sweet deal. It's nearly the identical car to the P3D+, has track mode, and also got the $5k refund. Most folks don't care about the bigger brakes (unless they're tracking it) because with regen you barely use the brakes.

Then, in an even weirder twist, Tesla continued selling #1 under the radar, for a cheaper price. It wasn't available on the web site but if you went to the store and asked for a "Performance Stealth" you could get one. At first it seemed like an inventory thing, but it went on for quite a long time. A few months ago Testla issued a statement that they are no longer for sale, but people keep finding them for sale, even today.

Many states have a $2k rebate that qualifies only for vehicles with Base MSRP below $50k, and the Full Performance version does not meet this criteria, but the Performance Stealth does. So it adds $2k to whatever the price difference is, making it even more appealing than the MSRP price difference (which I can't check since it's not on the web site).

Clear as mud?

Last edited by rumatt; 09-24-2019 at 03:26 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote