carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
The newest Mini's

While at the vintage fest at Lime Rock a couple weeks back, I had an opportunity to pore over a couple of new Mini's Manhattan Mini brought with them (VF is a great weekend, the vendors are often varied and fun).

Both Mini's were coupes and both sat on 17's, which looked really good.

One model was called the Mayfair - in celebration of 50 years of Mini. It was quite highly accessorized - it had those cool external fog lamps (like the rally Mini's of yore), special paint, seats covered in baseball glove leather and probably a thousand other individual options.

With all that, it topped out at only 25k.

While I only sat in it and pressed buttons and rowed the gearbox, it felt good - all the switchgear had a nice fluid feel, the shifter felt good, the seats comfy (though a bit difficult to adjust) and all the visible materials felt first rate - it was hard to imagine this was just a 25 k car.

On the other side of the tent was the "camden", a more stripped down Mini, but I really liked this one and if I were shopping Mini's, it'd likely be my choice (or something similar) - I especially liked the seats which had cloth inserts but leather bolsters.

I was quite impressed with what seemed like excellent build quality and value from these cars, they felt substantial.

OTOH, across the aisle was BMW of Watertown (CT), they brought three cars: a 328i coupe, an M6 and a 135i fully loaded (at 40k plus).

Frankly, comparing the 1 series to the Mini - it's hard to fathom the price delta, the Mini just feels great to sit in, the driving position, that cool windshield, the one series, while nice, doesn't feel like 40k - you've really got to want the RWD platform and twin-turbo engine to justify it - however, on roads like these, I wouldn't expect the 1 series to necessarily be more fun to drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh7RT-44W-U

The 328 was a pretty good value - I prefer the si engine over the TT- it was less expensive than the 135 but I have to say, it was a bit boring to look at - BMW's have become so, um, sober. A coupe should get one's blood moving a bit - this one looks like its sleeping, especially in the dark everyman-gray this one was wearing.

The M6 was just nonsensical, so I didn't bother looking at it.

Anyway, just some armchair observations.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
The Camden and Mayfair models are not out yet officially as far as I know, those are new for 2010 I believe. That $25k number seems off to me, they are $4000-5000 packages so unless they were MC and not MCS models that seems unlikely.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
The Camden and Mayfair models are not out yet officially as far as I know, those are new for 2010 I believe. That $25k number seems off to me, they are $4000-5000 packages so unless they were MC and not MCS models that seems unlikely.
Ed's never been one for horsepower, so I assume he's talking about MCs, not MCSs. He never mentioned MCS.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
Ed's never been one for horsepower, so I assume he's talking about MCs, not MCSs. He never mentioned MCS.
when he said $25k, I figured he must be talking about the NA car...which only made the loaded 135i pricing comparison so much the better.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Both were non-S models.

I asked about that and was told the Mayfair option package was available with either engine.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
ff

To be honest, "Camden" and "Mayfair" sounds so... snooty. Like, champagne yacht club in white-and-navy sailor's suit snooty.

ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
To be honest, "Camden" and "Mayfair" sounds so... snooty. Like, champagne yacht club in white-and-navy sailor's suit snooty.

You've never been to Camden, NJ, have you?

Camden, ME, on the other hand, probably kind of fits your description.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post

hahaha

The Mayfair is a model that they offered very early on in Mini history. The Camden is named after a place in England.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

The Camden is actually not stripped down, it just goes for a more "modern, high tech" look vs. the rich & elegant look of the Mayfair.

The Camden also comes with a feature called Mission Control, where the car will talk to you. It has thousands of phrases that it will use whenever you do various actions.