carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
My LR4 is a late MY2013 (built in Aug and took delivery in late September). I got among one of the last of the Jag 5.0L V8's, which are the most desirable. The LR4 with that engine was made from 2010 thru 2013. Those are considered very reliable cars. There really aren't many issues with them other than the water pump, which is a PITA to get to and the job can run several hundred dollars. Lower control arm bushings can go "early" (60-80k?) but that's mileage related issue. They are considered such a PITA to replace, people often buy a whole new LCA assy. Besides that, as long as you stay away from the multi-camera system, they are pretty good. The screen is laggy and the Nav sucks, and this is much worse on pre 2012 models.

The LR4 does consume tires and brakes (OE contis blow, btw). Consider yourself lucky if pads last you 20-25k miles. Rotors tend to last 2 sets of pads.

My SUV has 26k miles of 80% around town driving. Still drives like new and I love it. So far, only issues I've had have been:

- Squeaking driver's mirror on open/close.
- driver's seat track. power seat stopped moving front/back
- burnt out head lamp.

That's it. All covered under warranty - which expires this September. The frame has more surface rust than I would like to see, but the body and paint are immaculate. Also, as you know, I get 13 city 18-19 hwy on premium, so range is not awesome 280-350 miles. But man, is it silky smooth.

Oh, accessories and dealer work prices are LOL high.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a camry, but the V8 vintage LR4 is probably no worse than any other German car. The fact that it is nice and not a nightmare is reflected on it's surprisingly high resale. If you have a locking rear diff (as I do), those models are worth that much more.

EDIT: on tires, OE contis are mediocre in general, but they are awful in the winter. They are ok around town and on the highway. They are on their last season before they get replaced. I put on some Nokian hakkas SUV and my goodness, this thing drives on snow as if it had tracks. 1' of slushy snow on a hill? Traction control doesn't even come on. It just flattens things and moves along.

Last edited by FC; 05-15-2017 at 11:27 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Great, I was waiting for the actual LR/RR owner to chime in. Yes, that's the engine I had in mind, but I haven't driven any LR/RR. The rides I got were a v6 TDI in the RRS in Europe and I think the old v8 in the RR here.

Nav is basically irrelevant these days, other than screen/connection options.

Do you have air suspension? Does the LR4 share more with the RR or the RRS? I hadn't looked at LR4's as I don't ever expect to need 7 seats. Would definitely like the rear diff lock, surprising how many snow/ice piles I've hit parking around in our tight neighborhood (and this one would live outside along with the 535i, my indoor spots are sports car sized).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Great, I was waiting for the actual LR/RR owner to chime in. Yes, that's the engine I had in mind, but I haven't driven any LR/RR. The rides I got were a v6 TDI in the RRS in Europe and I think the old v8 in the RR here.

Nav is basically irrelevant these days, other than screen/connection options.

Do you have air suspension? Does the LR4 share more with the RR or the RRS? I hadn't looked at LR4's as I don't ever expect to need 7 seats. Would definitely like the rear diff lock, surprising how many snow/ice piles I've hit parking around in our tight neighborhood (and this one would live outside along with the 535i, my indoor spots are sports car sized).
Yes, all LR4's get the adjustable height air suspension. For what it is, my anecdotal experience from forums is that it is surprisingly reliable (though not bullet proof). The compressor is the weak point if any. Also it's location leads it to being crushed when the vehicle is lifted if people are not careful.

The RRS is based off the LR4/LR3 chassis/frame, so it will have more in common with that. The Top Gear review (Clarkson) of the then new RRS mentions this.

A main reason I bought the LR4 is because for the amount of volume it offers it is a very short vehicle (a foot shorter than most in its class). It's just tall and boxy so it looks larger. The rear cargo area (with seats folded) is large (and tall) enough for me to change in relative comfort. I love my LR4.

Also, you sit VERY tall on this SUV. You can see over everything (including huge snow banks). The LR4 has lots of glass all round, which is nice for everyone and makes people in the 3rd row feel very comfortable.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
equ
Alphanumeric

Update. Late on Memorial day, went to see a cpo LR4. The packaging miracle is certainly true. It's like a giant honda fit. Did not get a chance to test drive as dealer was a half hour from closing. Started it up. Engine sound was muffled. Lowered and raised suspension a few times, heard one clunk, was told it was normal.

While dealer had cleaned up the car, mileage was low, they were asking a pretty penny and there was definitely kiddie damage. C. commented that most lr4's would have it. She wasn't really into it.

That said, I came upon range rover (non sport, non supercharged, just full sized hse) to check out for sale by an acquaintance. This makes no sense but I'm strongly drawn to these trucks. I can't wait to go see it. I think that says it right there. Ooof. Car #4 (not counting the gti). What am I going to sell, the m3 or the 535i? Can I live with the autobox? We shall see.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
equ
Alphanumeric

Why rule out the LR4?

Too few LR4'S on the market, we will never need a third row, lucky if we need a second. Smarter buy new but the lux RR'S are depreciated now and simply illogically attractive to me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #16
FC
Solving problems

The real RR's are really cool. If depreciation makes them remotely competitive with an LR4, for your needs, I'd totally go with a RR, especially if you like it. It's a very nice place to be in.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #17
equ
Alphanumeric

Went shopping for Range Rovers... Tried to look at two full-size HSE's 2011 to 2012, around 65-70k miles, cheap (?), around the mid-20's. Once again, this will be a 3 to 6k/yr truck, it doesn't need to be new/uber-reliable. That said...

1. Option 1 was at a LR/RR dealer. They said they wholesaled it because the engine was bad.

2. Option 2 was at a BMW dealer. Not feeling the dealer/pharmacist white exterior, but beautiful cocoa interior. Loved sitting in it. Drove it, first LR/RR drive ever.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=453837703

Light, acceptable steering, great position/visibility, smooth ride and as long as driven slowly as it's meant to be, nice turn-in/nose response. Wonderful machine.

After plenty of warm-up on small roads, merged onto the highway and.....

Almost had an accident. Engine revved up but we didn't quite move. The tranny slipped and threw a fault!!!

So far 2/2 had major issues at the price point I'm looking at. Sadly, the interior and the light/smooth driving feel did speak to me. It was really up there in terms of not just luxury but also a good mercedes/jaguar like drive.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
equ
Alphanumeric

In other news, returned the Golf TDI. In Spring 2014, we paid $20,895+tax at 24k miles with CPO. Today we got paid (check on the spot), $20,965, $70 more than we paid. At 72k miles. A few hundred spent on maintenance. Still on the same 3-season set of tires (but up for a new set, up for an oil change and other maintenance). $150 spent on buying winter tires and selling them back. The whole 48k miles basically cost us $1400 of tax.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Awesome. But how'd you manage that?

And what do you mean :returned

Sorry, I'm lost.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #20
JST

TDI buyback. Equ lucked out by buying a car with cheater emissions, and then took advantage of the program VW has set up to try and keep its ass out of a sling.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote