carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
JST

Perseveration begins

Well, it actually began a while ago, but it is starting to get serious.

The Mini is now three years old; it has one year of warranty left and is out of covered maintenance. Despite this being one of the longest stretches I've kept a car, I'm still quite happy with it and wouldn't sell it, but impending family needs dictate something that can fit two kids.

The basic list of requirements won't surprise anyone--space for two car seats, manual transmission, some modicum of driving verve, etc. Too much of a focus on performance (e.g., having summer tires or no sunroof) is generally a negative, given that the mission of this car is to be a family carrier (and I've got an M3 and a Boxster on the bench).

The list of acceptable vehicles is surprisingly short, I've found. The GTI/A3 is nice, but a touch on the small side. Moreover, these cars are like an iceberg salad with ranch dressing, after 3 years with the Mini--fundamentally they're quite bland, and any interesting elements feel like an overlay, not baked in.

The Clubman JCW is almost exactly what I want, but it's a smidge too small and the lack of a fourth door is a deal breaker.

I haven't driven a WRX yet, but I'm disinclined toward one of those because they are overly thirsty and overly ugly.

A Saab 9-3 wagon is a possibility, but the platform is long in tooth and who knows whether Spyker will be around in 2 years?

A Cadillac CTS might work, but by the time you spec one out it's 45K. I'm not necessarily opposed to spending that, but I'd rather not--and can I find a reasonable lease on a Cadillac? I'm not going to buy something as bizarre as a stick shift Cadillac.

A Buick Regal would be worth a drive, but the sticks aren't out yet and the same question re: leasing applies.

A Pontiac G8 GXP is a dark horse candidate, but they are hard to find and are often the subject of high asking prices when you do find them.

A Mazdaspeed3 is probably out before the bidding begins, just because FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT IT.

So, the front-runners right now are:

1. Countryman Cooper S. The pricing has been released and is surprisingly reasonable--equipped the way I'd want it, it's about 32. On paper, it looks like exactly what I want. Despite being nominally an SUV, it's shorter than a Golf, weighs at least 200 lbs less than the VW, and has excellent fuel economy figures. The downsides? Can the engine handle the extra weight without feeling burdened? And it won't be available for test drives 'til Jan, meaning I might have to order one before driving it.

2. 328iT. The 328 really is a nice all-around car, and this is likely the last year of the iT (meaning it's the last time I can order one just like I want it). The disadvantages are cost (MSRP of about 43, as I'd spec it), the need to have a separate set of snow tires (not really that big a deal), and the fact that I'd have yet another 3er.

3. S4. I don't really like the 2.0T in the A4, but I haven't tried the S4. A basic one is on the high side of 47, though, which is almost certainly more than I want to spend. Maybe to replace the M3 next year...

Any others to consider?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
TD
Founder emeritus

If an A4/S4 is under consideration, you could just re-purpose the M3 to be the family car, start driving the Boxster on a daily basis and not buy anything until you're at least moderately enthusiastic about something.

TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Nick M3
Relic

The S4 is very, very nice. I like it vastly better than any non-M E90 variant that I've driven (and prefer it in some ways to the M3 as well).

The 328iT seems like a lot of money for what you're getting. I'd just strike it from the list now. If you're looking to spend this much money, stretch a little more and get the S4.

The Countryman is reasonably priced and I have to imagine that the engine will be fine. It's not that slow, even with the extra weight.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Well, it actually began a while ago, but it is starting to get serious.

The Mini is now three years old; it has one year of warranty left and is out of covered maintenance. Despite this being one of the longest stretches I've kept a car, I'm still quite happy with it and wouldn't sell it, but impending family needs dictate something that can fit two kids.

The basic list of requirements won't surprise anyone--space for two car seats, manual transmission, some modicum of driving verve, etc. Too much of a focus on performance (e.g., having summer tires or no sunroof) is generally a negative, given that the mission of this car is to be a family carrier (and I've got an M3 and a Boxster on the bench).

The list of acceptable vehicles is surprisingly short, I've found. The GTI/A3 is nice, but a touch on the small side. Moreover, these cars are like an iceberg salad with ranch dressing, after 3 years with the Mini--fundamentally they're quite bland, and any interesting elements feel like an overlay, not baked in.

The Clubman JCW is almost exactly what I want, but it's a smidge too small and the lack of a fourth door is a deal breaker.

I haven't driven a WRX yet, but I'm disinclined toward one of those because they are overly thirsty and overly ugly.

A Saab 9-3 wagon is a possibility, but the platform is long in tooth and who knows whether Spyker will be around in 2 years?

A Cadillac CTS might work, but by the time you spec one out it's 45K. I'm not necessarily opposed to spending that, but I'd rather not--and can I find a reasonable lease on a Cadillac? I'm not going to buy something as bizarre as a stick shift Cadillac.

A Buick Regal would be worth a drive, but the sticks aren't out yet and the same question re: leasing applies.

A Pontiac G8 GXP is a dark horse candidate, but they are hard to find and are often the subject of high asking prices when you do find them.

A Mazdaspeed3 is probably out before the bidding begins, just because FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT IT.

So, the front-runners right now are:

1. Countryman Cooper S. The pricing has been released and is surprisingly reasonable--equipped the way I'd want it, it's about 32. On paper, it looks like exactly what I want. Despite being nominally an SUV, it's shorter than a Golf, weighs at least 200 lbs less than the VW, and has excellent fuel economy figures. The downsides? Can the engine handle the extra weight without feeling burdened? And it won't be available for test drives 'til Jan, meaning I might have to order one before driving it.

2. 328iT. The 328 really is a nice all-around car, and this is likely the last year of the iT (meaning it's the last time I can order one just like I want it). The disadvantages are cost (MSRP of about 43, as I'd spec it), the need to have a separate set of snow tires (not really that big a deal), and the fact that I'd have yet another 3er.

3. S4. I don't really like the 2.0T in the A4, but I haven't tried the S4. A basic one is on the high side of 47, though, which is almost certainly more than I want to spend. Maybe to replace the M3 next year...

Any others to consider?
G8 GXP. Forget it. Forget it right now.

On the Countryman, it's probably not going to be the 200 extra pounds of curb weight, but that AND the addtional passenger and cargo weight that will almost always be present when you are actually, you know, driving the car.

I don't have any other help to add.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
I can't see any reason the Countryman wouldn't be your first choice - reports are that it drives really, really well, you could get it with a stick, it's still got BMW dna and, well, it'll hold the kids and stuff.

Seems right.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I'm curious to see the Countryman myself. Is it really going to be big enough for 2 kids worth of crap?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
May I be the first to say congratulations?

My vote is for the 328iT, BTW. A little more elbow room than the rest of your fleet, especially with the rooftop carrier, and quite satifying--even fun--to drive.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Is it really going to be big enough for 2 kids worth of crap?
I've never really understood this. Beyond a stroller and maybe a diaper bag, what all does one need to bring along when one is going about regular activities with their kids (as opposed to a road-trip out of town)?
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
ff

Congrats!

I think that the Countryman could be a pretty cool little family mover, as long as it has enough room for... the family.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
JST

I could just spring for the JCW tuning kit, though it's not clear that there actually will be one of those for the Countryman at launch.

Here's a review--'fil is right, everything I've seen gives the thing plaudits.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/10/...cooper-s-all4/

Here's the ordering guide:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/10/...ing-guide-pdf/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote