carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #31
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Are there enough spots for two cars to go by?

I have my own footage of Edewissspitze but too lazy to upload so I found the one below. It was narrow and windy. The lack of pavement or guardrails doesn't bother me, but I'd want to know there are spots to pass without having to back up.

I once stayed with friends at a mountain chalet rental in Switzerland. It had a road like that to get to it, and it was often cloaked in fog. Imagine having to back up to the wide spot in the fog.

It the village of Lenk, in the Bernese Overland. Incidental, everyone who lives there had a Bernese Mountain dog. https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/...the-simmental/
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #32
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I once stayed with friends at a mountain chalet rental in Switzerland. It had a road like that to get to it, and it was often cloaked in fog. Imagine having to back up to the wide spot in the fog.
Yikes!

Quote:
It the village of Lenk, in the Bernese Overland. Incidental, everyone who lives there had a Bernese Mountain dog. https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/...the-simmental/
OK, so it wasn't such a coincidence then that we saw two Berners while at the top of one of the mountain passes in Bern.

FWIW, the breeder was really touched by that story and I think that is how we more or less got to choose the puppy we wanted.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #33
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I grew up driving in the woods around reservoirs in northwest NJ.
Clinton Reservoir? I used to drive there a lot in the 70's before it was paved.

NJ has a default speed limit of 25 MPH urban, 50 rural. Since kids kept stealing the signs from Clinton Road, it fell back to the default 50. I had a lot of fun in the Atom up there as it had been paved for years by then. I may have exceeded 50 at some points .

The road is full of unsigned curves, most of which are off-camber and many of which have unexpected blind elevation changes. Here is one of the few decent YouTube videos. Most of them are about hauntings, killer clowns, druid temples, etc. I suggest you run this one at 2x to get a better feel. Of course, I only was at high speeds in the long section in the middle where there are no houses. BTW, I've never seen as much traffic as this video shows. It is rare to see even one other car in the undeveloped areas. They must have been shooting on a weekend.

BTW, I have a page of mid-70's pictures here.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #34
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
Clinton Reservoir? I used to drive there a lot in the 70's before it was paved.

NJ has a default speed limit of 25 MPH urban, 50 rural. Since kids kept stealing the signs from Clinton Road, it fell back to the default 50. I had a lot of fun in the Atom up there as it had been paved for years by then. I may have exceeded 50 at some points .

The road is full of unsigned curves, most of which are off-camber and many of which have unexpected blind elevation changes. Here is one of the few decent YouTube videos. Most of them are about hauntings, killer clowns, druid temples, etc. I suggest you run this one at 2x to get a better feel. Of course, I only was at high speeds in the long section in the middle where there are no houses. BTW, I've never seen as much traffic as this video shows. It is rare to see even one other car in the undeveloped areas. They must have been shooting on a weekend.

BTW, I have a page of mid-70's pictures here.
Splitrock You could go 4 wheeling, or dirt biking all day and not run the same trail twice.

I know Clinton, but grew up in Boonton, Splitrock was much closer to home
Old 10-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #35
Alan
Carmudgeon

Here I was so worried about patching the tire and now it's a non issue ... my Daughter surprised me last weekend by coming home from College for my birthday and it ends up her tire on the ride home shows a low warning ...

No flat but it ends up the same tire now has a HUGE screw in it and a Nail ..

Of course I wake up the next morning and even though both the nail and screw were in the center of the tread I replaced the tire ... I guess I don’t have to worry about the patch now.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #36
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
For long road trips do you feel a patched tire is safe

Found this in the front passenger side tire today. Inserted a patch and now waiting to confirm it holds pressure.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #37
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I think that is just far away from the shoulder enough that you should be fine.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote