carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

wtf is lexus thinking with the new IS?

They are already the laggards in a shrinking market segment, yet they choose to come to the party with a barely warmed over version of a 10 year platform? They barely even changed the interior- and of course are still using the same engine lineup. I could see following this strategy in a mainstream brand, but for a premium brand it just seems like shooting yourself in the foot.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...edan-revealed/

That being said, I kinda like the looks. But if they just want to milk this aging platform FCA-style they'd probably be better off just badging it as a Toyota Altezza or something and cutting the price. Plus, i remember reading an article that mentioned Toyota is still investing in sedans (a la the new Camry) as they see other brands exiting the market is creating an opportunity. Yet-- they invest nothing in their premium sedans.

Maybe i've just had too much coffee this morning, but the IS is a car that always wanted to like. Interesting styling, toyota reliabilty and Lexus customer service. But there have always been fatal flaws too. It's like they are just looking for an excuse to cancel it.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I had the exact same feeling when I watched the release yesterday at Lexis.com. I do like the exterior look. Thr headlights are less complicated. I also like the flared arches going over the back quarter panels allowing more sporty look with bigger tires. I’m so so on the rear. It’s kind of strange looking with the full length light. It’s very Lincoln looking to me.

The biggest letdown as you stated is the carryover engines. They could’ve gone with a three staged approach. Pumping up the power on the baseline four-cylinder a little then adding twin turbos to the six in the mid range. And then either following a infinity approach with more boost for the top line engine that might be an I SF or like others have said installed a higher horsepower naturally aspirated version of the RCF engine.

Like you stated I think they’re shooting themselves in the foot and giving folks another reason not to buy sedans.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I sawit the other day and thought the same thing. What a piss poor effort...
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
They're probably just writing off the segment and throwing shit they already have in the microwave to warm it over and milk what's left of the market as cheaply and efficiently as possible.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
they choose to come to the party with a barely warmed over version of a 10 year platform? They barely even changed the interior- and of course are still using the same engine lineup.
Sounds a bit like Porsche's strategy.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Sounds a bit like Porsche's strategy.
Couple differences:

1) Porsches are actually really good to start with.
2) You can't argue that they aren't iterating the drivetrains, even if you don't necessarily like their choices.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
They're probably just writing off the segment and throwing shit they already have in the microwave to warm it over and milk what's left of the market as cheaply and efficiently as possible.

Yea, I think there is a degree of this. If you look at BMW sales as an example, 3 series buyers have flocked to X1/X3 to huge degree and same trend with 5er -> X5 (myself included). I don’t know the specifics for Audi and Benz but assuming the same holds. At this point Lexus is unlikely to change their position in this class even with big investment (if they haven’t beat out 3er, C or A4 after two decades, why would they assume they could now?) and the segment is shrinking, but still enough volume where they wouldn’t walk away completely - so invest just enough to freshen your product and accept a #4 spot.

That being said, Toyota does have a track record of keeping some models on the market for way too long with only minor updates along the way. So hard to say how much this is an assessment of this specific class vs. broader tactic.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Yea, I think there is a degree of this. If you look at BMW sales as an example, 3 series buyers have flocked to X1/X3 to huge degree and same trend with 5er -> X5 (myself included). I don’t know the specifics for Audi and Benz but assuming the same holds. At this point Lexus is unlikely to change their position in this class even with big investment (if they haven’t beat out 3er, C or A4 after two decades, why would they assume they could now?) and the segment is shrinking, but still enough volume where they wouldn’t walk away completely - so invest just enough to freshen your product and accept a #4 spot.

That being said, Toyota does have a track record of keeping some models on the market for way too long with only minor updates along the way. So hard to say how much this is an assessment of this specific class vs. broader tactic.
Did some more reading and I think the other challenge they have is that they don't have a new RWD platform that's suitable for sports cars and compact sedans of this size. Apparently, the "TNGA luxury" platform that underpins the new Lexus LS can't be shrunken enough for smaller vehicles. Given that BMW is able to build 3 series and up on their new CLAR platform, it seems a bit like a botched platform strategy on Toyota's part. They are pretty much stuck with using TNGA FWD-based platform for all of their smaller sedans and crossovers. Sure, most customers won't know/care on paper but I think it does affect the way the cars feel in subtle ways that give brands like MB and BMW an edge. Then you have Genesis which is also planning some RWD crossovers. So... I get that they can't really justify the development costs for a complete redesign unless it was able to share a platform. But still.

Also, was just thinking that with the GT86 and Supra, Toyota now sells 2 RWD sports cars. Another reason the IS might be a better fit under the Toyota brand now-- they seem to be creating an enthusiast niche of RWD cars within that brand.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

Also, was just thinking that with the GT86 and Supra, Toyota now sells 2 RWD sports cars. Another reason the IS might be a better fit under the Toyota brand now-- they seem to be creating an enthusiast niche of RWD cars within that brand.
I'd be surprised if BMW would let Toyota use the Supra shared platform on a 3 series competitor.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Sure, most customers won't know/care on paper but I think it does affect the way the cars feel in subtle ways that give brands like MB and BMW an edge.
The very kind of thing that has made German cars feel so much better to me as long as I've been driving, I think.