Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
dan
redefined

those are the extra charges, I'm assuming
Old 11-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor

In the original post, it looks like I deleted a line (corrected now).

The bumper cover needs to come off along with everything associated with that like disconnecting the sensors (you know for the self-driving because, you know Tesla, therefore, "fuck Tesla," and if you don't get the humor, well, your loss). When you disconnect any of the sensors and reconnect them, there's a possibility the car can get bricked without Tesla specific tools. The guy said it hasn't happened to them yet on any Teslas they've worked on, but this is the first MY2020 car they've had in, so he's not sure.

If it was normal paint on a normal car, the paint would cost less, there would be less labor, less risk of subcontracting additional work (bringing in an outside tech), and thus cost less.

I also didn't mention that the car will be in the shop for five days. Much of it for the curing time for the special paint.

FWIW, it's been 24 hours since I asked her if she wanted me to send a check and no response.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Makes sense.

She may just be planning to let her insurance deal with it and subrogate as needed. That's probably what I would do.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Makes sense.

She may just be planning to let her insurance deal with it and subrogate as needed. That's probably what I would do.
She could be, but she hasn't told me that. And...the insurance company sections of the estimate are blank. The shop owner was under the impression it was be a cash payment. When I spoke to car owner last week and said I'd cover it, I thought we understood that meant I'd take care of the billing. Maybe not. I guess I'll find out at some point.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
In the original post, it looks like I deleted a line (corrected now).

The bumper cover needs to come off along with everything associated with that like disconnecting the sensors (you know for the self-driving because, you know Tesla, therefore, "fuck Tesla," and if you don't get the humor, well, your loss). When you disconnect any of the sensors and reconnect them, there's a possibility the car can get bricked without Tesla specific tools. The guy said it hasn't happened to them yet on any Teslas they've worked on, but this is the first MY2020 car they've had in, so he's not sure.

If it was normal paint on a normal car, the paint would cost less, there would be less labor, less risk of subcontracting additional work (bringing in an outside tech), and thus cost less.

I also didn't mention that the car will be in the shop for five days. Much of it for the curing time for the special paint.

FWIW, it's been 24 hours since I asked her if she wanted me to send a check and no response.
I see. What's special about the paint? Something specific to the red they use?
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #16
JST

It’s called “multi coat red;” I don’t know exactly what’s special about it, but Musk describes it as having pigment in the clear coat itself for depth and complexity. No idea if that’s BS or not.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...336629249?s=20
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #17
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s called “multi coat red;” I don’t know exactly what’s special about it, but Musk describes it as having pigment in the clear coat itself for depth and complexity. No idea if that’s BS or not.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...336629249?s=20
Right- so maybe it does require a special process to repair? That being said, any high-end vehicle is going to have quirks that make it more expesnive to repair.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #18
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Honestly, that seems pretty reasonable for the repair cost... And its not just Tesla that will require sensors to be reset -- pretty much anything with parking sensors would have to have that type of cost...

I love my Model 3, but don't think I'll get MC Red again. Great color, but any issues with it are tough to repair.

I've had it in now several times for paint...
- There was a visible dried drip on the front trunk lid -- this was in the shop for a week to re-paint shortly after pickup. I literally picked up the car the evening before the accident.
- Accident -- damage to drivers side rear 3/4 panel, rear door and more. Was in shop for 5 months...
- Trunk leak. They ended up replacing the rear trunk lid - so it had to be painted. was in the shop for a week when the trunk was re-painted...
- And now I'm getting some paint flaking off on the rocker panel under the driver's door. This was part of the accident repair re-paint. Its going back in on Dec 9 to be corrected (covered by the body shop warranty)... Again, this is expected to be int he shop for several days to a week...
Old 11-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #19
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I love my Model 3, but don't think I'll get MC Red again. Great color, but any issues with it are tough to repair.

I've had it in now several times for paint...
- There was a visible dried drip on the front trunk lid -- this was in the shop for a week to re-paint shortly after pickup. I literally picked up the car the evening before the accident.
- Accident -- damage to drivers side rear 3/4 panel, rear door and more. Was in shop for 5 months...
- Trunk leak. They ended up replacing the rear trunk lid - so it had to be painted. was in the shop for a week when the trunk was re-painted...
- And now I'm getting some paint flaking off on the rocker panel under the driver's door. This was part of the accident repair re-paint. Its going back in on Dec 9 to be corrected (covered by the body shop warranty)... Again, this is expected to be int he shop for several days to a week...
That's no fun.

All paint repairs can be tough and anything beyond a plain basic no-metal flake color makes them all that much harder. My take is that it's not worth the headache to try to properly fix small stuff (like this Tesla scratch). Some careful touch up, with no expectations of it looking perfect, at most. Anything more and there's a substantial risk of it not matching, future flaking, future fade rate/behavior differences, Carfax ding, etc. Even a sub-medicore touch up won't ever look worse than a sub-medicore touch up of something insignificant. Those other things tend to look much worse and cause more resale issues. My opinion, anyway.

If I were in your place, I'm not sure what I would have done about the paint drip. The quality control issues with the early 3 deliveries would have given me pause about waiting, but I don't think I would have wanted to try to fix it...but depends on how noticeable it was, maybe? I'd probably have wanted a credit, but dunno.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #20
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
If I were in your place, I'm not sure what I would have done about the paint drip. The quality control issues with the early 3 deliveries would have given me pause about waiting, but I don't think I would have wanted to try to fix it...
I’m with you on this one, I’ve had cars that the bumpers did not match perfectly with the rest of the car ie MR2 turbo, RX8 ... I preferred to keep it factory then have them touch it ...

I remember when I bought my RX8 and looking at the dealers lot and thinking .... ok I love the red ones but the bumpers are all so far off on color from the rest of the car I’ll just go with with the black one because it wasn’t as noticeable.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote