carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #161
clyde
Chief title editor

https://www.facebook.com/tom.ogorman...58558894037700

So...

I know this car. I've driven it. I loved it.

It was "fabricobbled" together over two and a half years by a good friend that lives in the DC area. I wouldn't say "no expense was spared" in the build, but he did not give cost any consideration...he chose parts he thought would work and bought them. As of last year, it was one of the top three (maybe two? my understanding is one of them may have been destroyed) cars in the "CAM-C" class, which is a nearly unlimited run-what-you-brung class for RWD American cars that is incredibly popular and has some amazing high dollar/high effort builds that don't come close to this car.

In late summer 2018 when my friend said he was thinking of selling it, I gave it some real thought, but it wasn't the right car at the right time. Now,... The seller is a great guy. He's taken great care of the car. He is trying to make a living as a professional race car driver, didn't have a ride lined up for this year, got further screwed by the virus situation, and he's probably a very motivated seller.

Competing in this car every weekend would be a whole bag of kicks and more. I could not daily it, though. OTOH, the ask price is low enough, I might be able to find a truck I could daily and use to tow without busting my budget by much.

I hope someone buys it before I do something silly.

Meanwhile, Carvana keeps offering me more money for my car. $17512 this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kaomaro.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	12719  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #162
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

https://www.facebook.com/tom.ogorman...58558894037700

So...

I know this car. I've driven it. I loved it.

It was "fabricobbled" together over two and a half years by a good friend that lives in the DC area. I wouldn't say "no expense was spared" in the build, but he did not give cost any consideration...he chose parts he thought would work and bought them. As of last year, it was one of the top three (maybe two? my understanding is one of them may have been destroyed) cars in the "CAM-C" class, which is a nearly unlimited run-what-you-brung class for RWD American cars that is incredibly popular and has some amazing high dollar/high effort builds that don't come close to this car.

In late summer 2018 when my friend said he was thinking of selling it, I gave it some real thought, but it wasn't the right car at the right time. Now,... The seller is a great guy. He's taken great care of the car. He is trying to make a living as a professional race car driver, didn't have a ride lined up for this year, got further screwed by the virus situation, and he's probably a very motivated seller.

Competing in this car every weekend would be a whole bag of kicks and more. I could not daily it, though. OTOH, the ask price is low enough, I might be able to find a truck I could daily and use to tow without busting my budget by much.

I hope someone buys it before I do something silly.

Meanwhile, Carvana keeps offering me more money for my car. $17512 this morning.

I mean, fuck it, dude. Buy that car.

Like, now. Just do it. What's the worst that happens? You hate it and have to sell it? Carvana won't buy it but judging by what you're saying, someone would.

And then buy a Bronco to tow it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #163
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Like, now. Just do it. What's the worst that happens? You hate it and have to sell it? Carvana won't buy it but judging by what you're saying, someone would.

This last line cracked me up

On a serious note that is one bad ass looking Camaro !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #164
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I watch BAT every day. Religiously. As a welcome escape from too many hours working. It’s 5minutes of bliss. But As much as I lust after all manner of car there, I am happiest when I’m driving the Camaro. It’s too civilized in a lot of ways. And heavy. But it’s so much fun.

I would still love to know how a comparable Mustang works for daily driving or auto crossing, of course, but the OHV V8 makes up for a lot of deficits.

I would worry that it’s redline is too low for auto crossing? Requiring many shifts for you during a run. Maybe I’m showing my complete ignorance of the sport then.
The first part to figure out is "what is the comparable Mustang?" to an SS 1LE? For a street-to-street and $-$ perspective it's the GT with PP2. From a performance perspective, it's probably the GT350 right now. By this fall, the most even all around competitor will probably be the Mustang Mach 1, but you'll need to option up the Camaro 2SS with a bunch of junk to get the $s to be close.

That said, the Mustang may be the easier car to live with. There is more cabin space, there's more glass, it's more airy. Real world performance is comparable. They both make the right noises, feel the right amount of sporty, are super tight, but almost everyone that's spent a bit of time in both current gen cars finds the Mustang a little more comfortable.

From a performance perspective, the Camaro wins. The platform is hands down better and more capable. Manual to manual, the Camaro's gearing was much better suited to autocross, but the Mustang has seen some gearing changes that have made it much less of an issue...but no one's really sure where it stands today.

The too-short second gear made the GTs a non-starter for nearly everyone that otherwise would have tried it. Ford has made some changes along the way, but other things going on in the class where the GTs compete in stock form have kept people from considering them (the car to have in that class right now is an E9x/M3...or so the conventional wisdom goes).

The GT350 is a bit too pricey without a clear chance of winning. A top driver campaigned one last year and circumstances left us with inconclusive results (a lot of rain events, lack of quality competition at others, some setup issues, etc).

I think the Mach 1 could compete. Maybe not, though.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #165
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Is it yours? add is marked as sold
Old 06-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #166
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Is it yours? add is marked as sold
Nope. Not me.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #167
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Looks like its in the Cinci area... but is is now marked as pending
Old 06-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #168
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Whoever got it for 30,000 got a steal.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #169
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Old 06-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #170
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Nope. Not me.