carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #391
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I don't have many complaints about CarPlay and the ones I do have are mostly pretty minor.

The line in that post has stuck with me in an unnatural manner...as you may have noticed how many times I have referenced it in the past 16 years.

On the stick/auto thing...for a general purpose car, it's a non-issue for me in modern cars. Automatics have gotten good enough while sticks have lost way too much "connection" (and introduced their own major annoyances) through 1s and 0s for it to matter any more. Especially in cars that have gotten too good, too quick, too fast, and too capable to be driven in a fun manner on public roads in all but very rare and isolated moments. Beyond that, I don't see the point in going through the debate again.

As it pertains to the SS, I don't know if the six speed automatic in the SS falls on the right or wrong side of the "automatics have gotten good enough" line.

As for the Stinger or anything else...what other four door sport sedan made since 2010 makes American V8 noises? Chevrolet SS, Cadillac CTS-V, and...

Also, one of the things I'm finding attractive about the SS is my expectation that it stands a better chance at holding value over the next 4-24 months than just about anything else that could be a possibility that isn't a Porsche (which I just can't see myself buying) or an older cheap beater type car. If I can trade one in at a near-future date for anything close to what I pay for it, I wouldn't even lose much by paying extra sales tax on the car that comes after it.

All of the various Charger variants?

But you're right on resale. An SS is king in that regard, and on that front I'd say hold out for a 6 speed. Those are the ones that are really going to rule the roost in terms of not losing value.

You won't lose money on an E39 M5 either, in terms of value, though maintenance is another story.

EDIT: Here you go:

https://www.carmax.com/car/19130693

And here's one you can go drive to see if the automatic sucks:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #392
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
If autocross competitiveness isn't a priority, it does seem like one of the Hellcat variants would be a good option.

A buddy of mine has a Charger Hellcat with the stick. I drove it. It's .. interesting, but in no way compelling to me. But if you're considering a Chevy SS, it might be?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #393
Alan
Carmudgeon

I've been thinking about this thread and wanted to point out that no car is forever, once that type of thinking hits your mind it makes it a lot easier to get something new.

Yes you're buying at a high but you also sold off at a high.

We all are concerned when getting a car we might be making a mistake and btw mistakes do happen, I know I made a big mistake when I purchased a Honda S2000 sight unseen and having never driven one before but as soon as the title came in I sold the car off. The car itself was a perfect low mileage one owner car I just couldn't stand it.

I was nervous about buying the Cayman because my seat back is literally up against the rear firewall and I kept thinking what if I buy the car and it's uncomfortable, fortunately for me my wife pushed me to get the car and even called me at my office the day I said I was going to buy it and asked me if I did, my answer was no, she told me to hang up the phone and call the dealer right this second which I did.

Sometimes you need that extra push ... I still thank her almost a year later for pushing me.

Clyde, just bite the bullet and do it !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #394
clyde
Chief title editor

Alan, thanks for your thoughts. They are appreciated. I agree that no car is forever, nor do I expect one to be. What I think is quite possible is that this may be the last ICE car I buy as a daily driver. Whatever it is, it may be a mistake. If it is, it’s a mistake I probably need to live with for a few years because I can’t justify spending more money to fix “I’m not as in love with it as I want to be.”

I’m not sure you understand how hard it is for me to spend money on buying cars.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #395
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
If you're going the 4 door route and decide no need for V8 noise now, I don't think it would hurt to test the Stinger RWD. It was a little long, but the one I sat in at the auto show was pretty impressive for the price point. If they depreciate more, Iwould consider one.

M235i/240i?
E92 M3?

I still think some type of V8 Camaro is what you need.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #396
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
If you're going the 4 door route and decide no need for V8 noise now, I don't think it would hurt to test the Stinger RWD. It was a little long, but the one I sat in at the auto show was pretty impressive for the price point. If they depreciate more, Iwould consider one.

M235i/240i?
E92 M3?

I still think some type of V8 Camaro is what you need.
V8 noises are as close an absolute necessity as can be. I spent most of the day second guessing the SS idea, but I have more research to do.

The only BMW that could happen is an M2/M2C, but that’s about as remote a possibility as a 3 Performance.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #397
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
V8 noises are as close an absolute necessity as can be. I spent most of the day second guessing the SS idea, but I have more research to do.

The only BMW that could happen is an M2/M2C, but that’s about as remote a possibility as a 3 Performance.
3 Performance is not a bad idea...
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:13 PM   #398
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
3 Performance is not a bad idea...
That’s because it’s a terrible idea that I just can’t absolutely rule out for some reason.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-27-2020, 07:13 AM   #399
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I mean this exists too:
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...0/2016-bmw-m5/

Color - Check
V8 - Check
Transmission - Check

What's not to love?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #400
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
That’s because it’s a terrible idea that I just can’t absolutely rule out for some reason.
Well, then you and I have the same terrible idea rattling around our heads. If it were a hatchback, I probably would have ordered it by now. The Model Y leans too much for my tastes...but is also still in contention. Everything is still in contention, which is maddening.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote