carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #141
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Interesting comment, because mine moves on out from a dead stop without any trouble at all. Quite "peppy" without having to labor. You were coming from a Z-06, though, so that probably has a lot to do with the feeling or absolute torquelessness.
I have a used '07 Si out front... i drove it a few days ago and it's a nice car, but I agree with the comment that the engine needs more revs before you start to feel some power. The R56, by comparison, has much more pull from slightly above idle and does not need higher revs to get it going. You need to drive one, because the pull from idle is very, very different from your old R53.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #142
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I have a used '07 Si out front... i drove it a few days ago and it's a nice car, but I agree with the comment that the engine needs more revs before you start to feel some power. The R56, by comparison, has much more pull from slightly above idle and does not need higher revs to get it going. You need to drive one, because the pull from idle is very, very different from your old R53.
honestly.

i've been trying to tell that to anyone who'll listen --the people who've listened ended up buying the car.

*i think i'm going to keep mine because it's paid off, so cheap to insure and so frugal that i'd be dumb to try to trade it in.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #143
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Interesting comment, because mine moves on out from a dead stop without any trouble at all. Quite "peppy" without having to labor. You were coming from a Z-06, though, so that probably has a lot to do with the feeling or absolute torquelessness.
f: did you get your ECU recalibrated to deal with hanging revs?

and R&T just wrapped up their year with an Si --one thing the identified was a tendency for the gearbox to go bad on the 2-3 shift. didn't know if you had run into this, also? sometimes they beat the hell out of their press cars so it doesn't extrapolate well.

but they did manage 26mpg for the year.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #144
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Back on waffling topic...

My wife is fortunate enough that at her job she has an on-site emergency daycare center (Bright Horizons). There is no option to use them full time, it's for emergencies only. Still, she gets 20 days a year - free.

Today, she decided to try it out. We always assumed she would have to take the train, but a co-worker told her about a garage nearby that was only $17 all day as long as you were in before 9am and out by 7pm (I was amazed).

Bottomline, she left home at 6:45am and thanks to the HOV lane she was there in 35 minutes. She took the 330i because the the V70R has a laughable turning radius (literally like 41-43 feet - my biggest pet pieve by far).

Anyway, all this to say that it looks like that makes another 15-20 days a year where I could drive a fun car to work (unless it's very bad weather). Not a huge difference, but between that and the fact that she has more vacation time than I do, that's a bunch more days a year that I could drive the fun car.

Of course, today sucked for me because on the one day when I don't have to drive the family around I got stuck with the slushie wagon - and this would always be the case. I now feel even more justification for my sportscar.
At the same time, I know she will claim a MINI woud be nice to have for all those days as well as the few other days when we drive downtown...
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #145
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
She took the 330i because the the V70R has a laughable turning radius (literally like 41-43 feet - my biggest pet pieve by far).
Despite all the temptation in the world, I will let that comment stand on its own. However...

The Armada's turning radius is 41.0'.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #146
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Despite all the temptation in the world, I will let that comment stand on its own. However...

The Armada's turning radius is 41.0'.
And that would get very ugly in downtown Boston.

I've been to several parking garages downtown where the last inch of the 330i's turning radius had to be used, and then often use 3 point turns and wait several minutes for other cars to let you by. It's not just that the garages are tight to begin with, but in an effort to milk as much space as possible, they double park cars and reduce the spaces to manuever to next to nothing. Some places wont even let you park yourself, using a convoluted valet system that often takes an eternity to get your car back. Add the low clearance and long overhang and the V70R is a brutal city car.

Finally, we're talking about my wife here. She who hit my 330i in a tight parking garage in Munich within hours of delivery.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #147
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
The 335 is 36.1' - seems way larger then any of my cars have been for a long time. The e46 was 34.4' - about a foot and a half, so maybe I just dont' remember what it was like. The e36 is 34.1'. I guess i just need to crank the wheel harder.

Edit - those numbers should be cut in half for the radius, so 18.05, 17.2 and 17.05 - not much difference. The V was 18.1 as well. I am just not certain where the edge of the car is I guess.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #148
FC
Solving problems

I checked and the V70R turning radius is 43.3 feet. Not a typo. And for reference, all other V70's of the same gen (including XC's) vary from 35.8 to 39 feet.

The V70R is so bad, I have been unable to make u-turns on u-turn specific lanes despite bearing right as much as possible in anticipation.

So no, no way I am letting my wife take the V70R to Boston for this and all the other reasons I already mentioned (and add fuel economy for the heck of it too).
Old 02-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #149
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Not that it matters, but I think those 40' numbers are turning circles, not turning radius (thus the reason I cut them in half for using the radius term). I could be wrong though.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #150
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
Not that it matters, but I think those 40' numbers are turning circles, not turning radius (thus the reason I cut them in half for using the radius term). I could be wrong though.
You're right.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote