carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-01-2023, 08:27 PM   #381
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Called VW corporate, still no help. They claim they have no way to get info on the part status and confirmed again that they do not provide loaners.

I did ask them about lemon law and they said they could request a buyback. I figure it doesn't hurt so went ahead and asked them to request. Someone is supposed to call me back tomorrow about it.
How does one of the biggest car companies in the world treat customers this way?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:36 PM   #382
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Called VW corporate, still no help. They claim they have no way to get info on the part status and confirmed again that they do not provide loaners.
I find it hard to believe that they don't have anything equivalent to BMW's VOR (Vehicle Off Road) status, which triggers a search at BMW's in-country distribution centers and other dealers before expanding the search internationally.

My BMW dealer's parts department [ab]used VOR to get me all sorts of unusual parts (they joked that I was building another BMW from scratch, one part at a time). Eventually they went a bit too far and submitted a VOR search for a passenger seat lumbar control switch. That earned a hand-written "Dummkopf!" note in the bag with the switch.

Although there was that one time I badgered the Regensburg plant manager into sending me a roll of the infamous "fuzzy tape" used on BMW wiring harnesses. These days you can get Tesa tape from just about anywhere, but 20+ years ago, not so much...
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:23 PM   #383
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:

I did ask them about lemon law and they said they could request a buyback. I figure it doesn't hurt so went ahead and asked them to request. Someone is supposed to call me back tomorrow about it.
VW called me back and they buyback takes 3-4 weeks to determine a decision. My buddy went through the same thing on his 5 year old GM and it sounds the same, they basically have a calculation based on bluebook value at the time of start of the problem.

I have to submit a bunch of documentation in order to proceed. Sounds like it might not be worth it since my car is 4 years old/47k but I might not say the same thing 3-4 weeks if I am still in the same situation.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:20 PM   #384
JST

Idk, check the bluebook value; not sure if they reflect the current inflated pricing but it might be worth it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:47 PM   #385
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Idk, check the bluebook value; not sure if they reflect the current inflated pricing but it might be worth it.
just did, said 22.5k for private party which is not much less than I paid for it.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:35 PM   #386
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
just did, said 22.5k for private party which is not much less than I paid for it.
Sounds like it might be worth going through with. And that puts this thread update in the right place. What next?
Old 03-03-2023, 12:52 AM   #387
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Sounds like it might be worth going through with. And that puts this thread update in the right place. What next?
Been thinking of start a perseveration thread but stilll hoping something gets decided first, either repaired or buyback.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:13 AM   #388
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Been thinking of start a perseveration thread but stilll hoping something gets decided first, either repaired or buyback.
That makes sense. You may even just want your car back, if they can get themselves together to fix it.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:10 AM   #389
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Likewise..and yes agree this sounds awful.

With VW, I feel like I've come back to the idea of a GTI or R many times in the past 15 years. Then, I'll read some horror story about VW service and be put off again.

Although there's probably no correlation to the service department experience, my local VW dealer doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies either-- I have to bug them multiple times to get any answers regarding the order and allocation process.

They do check so many boxes though.
The VW dealer in Thousand Oaks is atrocious and we tell all of our employees as well as Amgen folks to not go there.

One case charged for new tires but nothing was done.

Second case charged for brakes and no work was done.

They’re taking advantage of non car people and charging them tons.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:19 AM   #390
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The VW dealer in Thousand Oaks is atrocious and we tell all of our employees as well as Amgen folks to not go there.

One case charged for new tires but nothing was done.

Second case charged for brakes and no work was done.

They’re taking advantage of non car people and charging them tons.

Oh wow. They should be the subject of a fraud investigation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote