carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
e90 sport seats and throttle

I'm having issues with the e90 sport seats and throttle set up. I feel like the bmw is killing my right leg. On Monday, I was almost crippled after an hour's drive (during which I kept adjusting the seats every minute), hurting/numb from butt to shin. It took me several hours to recover.

We were able to do a long trip with it in December, but we switched drivers and I was on cruise almost the whole time I drove. Cruise avoids the matter as the problem is limited to my right leg. I actually kind of hate being in cruise, it's not enjoyable or not even safe feeling, it's almost TV or game-like.

I feel like I need to keep my right leg in a strange, "suspended" position to be right on the throttle. it never feels supported. I had a different issue with the e46 zhp's, but a lumbar pillow completely solved the slight lower back ache I had in that seat (and those cars didn't have lumbar). Neither the cayman nor the Civic Si has lumbar, but they have good seats and a normal throttle.

I've tried every adjustment possible. I'm going to try a wedge to sit on, and maybe even a lumbar pillow though that doesn't seem to be the issue. It's especially annoying when the problem seems isolated to me. I did a bunch of searches and found posts like "if you're not comfy on the e90 sport seats, go have your back looked after, ha ha...". Rare complaints about the narrowness of the sport seats, but no throttle complaints.

This has all but stopped my enjoyment of the car. When you're uncomfortable physically, driving feel, auto/stick, engine, turning... it all goes out the window (as I'm sure Sharpie & his wife can attest to). Actually the e90 sport seat/throttle hurts my gf when driving as well, but she says she's found a position that lasts her a little while (for the rare occasions on which she does drive it).

Last hope is in the wedge/pillow or the winter mats from the previous owner. They don't fit well (seem a bit homemade cut) and it's remotely possible that they leave my right foot unsupported.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm having issues with the e90 sport seats and throttle set up. I feel like the bmw is killing my right leg. On Monday, I was almost crippled after an hour's drive (during which I kept adjusting the seats every minute), hurting/numb from butt to shin. It took me several hours to recover.

We were able to do a long trip with it in December, but we switched drivers and I was on cruise almost the whole time I drove. Cruise avoids the matter as the problem is limited to my right leg. I actually kind of hate being in cruise, it's not enjoyable or not even safe feeling, it's almost TV or game-like.

I feel like I need to keep my right leg in a strange, "suspended" position to be right on the throttle. it never feels supported. I had a different issue with the e46 zhp's, but a lumbar pillow completely solved the slight lower back ache I had in that seat (and those cars didn't have lumbar). Neither the cayman nor the Civic Si has lumbar, but they have good seats and a normal throttle.

I've tried every adjustment possible. I'm going to try a wedge to sit on, and maybe even a lumbar pillow though that doesn't seem to be the issue. It's especially annoying when the problem seems isolated to me. I did a bunch of searches and found posts like "if you're not comfy on the e90 sport seats, go have your back looked after, ha ha...". Rare complaints about the narrowness of the sport seats, but no throttle complaints.

This has all but stopped my enjoyment of the car. When you're uncomfortable physically, driving feel, auto/stick, engine, turning... it all goes out the window (as I'm sure Sharpie & his wife can attest to). Actually the e90 sport seat/throttle hurts my gf when driving as well, but she says she's found a position that lasts her a little while (for the rare occasions on which she does drive it).

Last hope is in the wedge/pillow or the winter mats from the previous owner. They don't fit well (seem a bit homemade cut) and it's remotely possible that they leave my right foot unsupported.
It may be that, for daily driving, you need something like an X3.

What I've learned in shopping for these vehicles is they all sit you in a more upright manner - at least that's how it feels.

Prior generation MDX's are especially nice in this regard. The X3 has a very commanding and comfortable driving position.

None of these vehicles will give you sports-car-like handling, but as you say - if you're uncomfortable, nothing else matters.

So, how much for the 330xi?

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Everyone finds my seat settings super uncomfortable but I have my seat back pretty upright and my seat cushion reclined almost to the max (the max in the V70R). That is my most comfortable setting.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I read somewhere that problems like this stem from the angle of your thighs. I know you said you tried every position, but have you tried tipping the front of the seat up a bit?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
The one thing I've found I really enjoy is the convenience of a telescoping wheel, which is still absent in too many cars.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I read somewhere that problems like this stem from the angle of your thighs. I know you said you tried every position, but have you tried tipping the front of the seat up a bit?
Yup, that was sorta my point above.

And OT, my beef with the regular Porache seats - no seat bottom recline unless you go with power seats. The Sports seats don't recline either but the default position is more reclined. Of course, equ actually owns a P-car with the base seat in question (IIRC) and he has never complained, so...
Old 01-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
The one thing I've found I really enjoy is the convenience of a telescoping wheel, which is still absent in too many cars.

Ed
I agree. One of the few cool things I liked about the C-Class (last-gen C320 at least) was that it had power tilt/telescoping on the steering wheel AND it was tied to the memory settings. That was awesome.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
It may be that, for daily driving, you need something like an X3.

What I've learned in shopping for these vehicles is they all sit you in a more upright manner - at least that's how it feels.

Prior generation MDX's are especially nice in this regard. The X3 has a very commanding and comfortable driving position.

None of these vehicles will give you sports-car-like handling, but as you say - if you're uncomfortable, nothing else matters.

So, how much for the 330xi?

Ed
The upright posture helps, I'm more comfortable in the Civic Si's mini-minivan'ish seats. The porsche seats are far from upright, but the throttle is properly angled and has good resistance. I feel weird as I'm of quite normal build and in good health. How can I not be comfy in a car that works for millions of people?

There is almost no situation that would put me in an x3.

If the pillow/mats/wedges don't help, the 330xi will have to go. I don't want to proceed in that direction just yet, I'm really tired of changing cars.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The upright posture helps, I'm more comfortable in the Civic Si's mini-minivan'ish seats. The porsche seats are far from upright, but the throttle is properly angled and has good resistance. I feel weird as I'm of quite normal build and in good health. How can I not be comfy in a car that works for millions of people?

There is almost no situation that would put me in an x3.

If the pillow/mats/wedges don't help, the 330xi will have to go. I don't want to proceed in that direction just yet, I'm really tired of changing cars.
WOW you go through cars like water. Good luck with the seats. =(
Old 01-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yup, that was sorta my point above.

And OT, my beef with the regular Porache seats - no seat bottom recline unless you go with power seats. The Sports seats don't recline either but the default position is more reclined. Of course, equ actually owns a P-car with the base seat in question (IIRC) and he has never complained, so...
The seat bottom does recline, but not independently of its height. (So you lose one degree of freedom. ) When you pump the seat cushion up or down, it also changes angle in a pre-determined way. I actually obsessed about this for a week or so until I found this car to be one of the most comfortable I've ever found.

The base seats are quite awesome, if I ordered, I might have gone power but no further. Adaptive is a waste of money and too heavy. Sports are way too narrow for my shoulders. The base seats *look* flat (say compared to bmw sports seats) but are very comfortable and *hold* you very very well...