carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
JST

Throwback--Porsche in 1996

Came across this interesting NYT article as a result of that RS2 that was for sale on BaT:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/20/b...-the-pink.html

It's fascinating for a couple of reasons, both for the insight into how hard Porsche was struggling in the early 90s (when many of us might say they were hitting the high water mark on their classic designs), and into the state of the market in 1996:

Quote:

But the Boxster will be the true test of Porsche's campaign of self- renewal. BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Fiat and Rover have all introduced new two-seaters in recent months, or plan to soon.

"It is entering a very crowded market segment," said Steven Reitman, auto analyst for Union Bank of Switzerland in London. "The whole roadster market will be very crowded by the time Boxster hits the scene."
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Came across this interesting NYT article as a result of that RS2 that was for sale on BaT:

It's fascinating for a couple of reasons, both for the insight into how hard Porsche was struggling in the early 90s (when many of us might say they were hitting the high water mark on their classic designs), and into the state of the market in 1996:
Nice find! Fascinating on many levels. I remember reading about how Porsche had hired some ex-Toyota people to implement lean manufacturing practices, but this article is the most detailed account of that process that I've seen. Fast forward 20 years and I think all european manufacturers have adopted Toyota-like (lean) practices, although Porsche seems to be the best at it given that they regularly achieve Toyota like quality according to JD Power.

Also interesting to remember that the roadster segment was so crowded back then.. we live in very different times now.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

Who remembers this 1993 Autoweek cover?

IIRC, the promise of the Boxster upon its introduction was the return of an entry priced *new* Porsche. When they didn't deliver, I was so disappointed. OTOH, the success of the "used is the entry price model" model they executed is inarguable near 30 years later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	autoweek boxster cover.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	12789  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I still have that 1:18 die cast car and I saw the real thing at the Porsche Museum. Man, I could have spent days there. Family forced me out after a couple of hours. Boo!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
JST

This is Porsche in 1992, but if you want a really interesting rabbit hole on a very obscure model, this auction and the thread accompanying it are fantastic.

I knew about the ROW 964 RS, of course, and the still-cool-but-substantially-less-cool RS America, but I did not remember the 964 Carrera Cup USA, which was basically a ROW RS (but US road legal) brought to the US to be converted into cars for a racing series that never materialized. Several of the cars had already been converted into racing spec and were re-converted back to roadgoing spec and sold.

Fascinating!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rrera-cup-usa/
Old 10-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
This is Porsche in 1992, but if you want a really interesting rabbit hole on a very obscure model, this auction and the thread accompanying it are fantastic.

I knew about the ROW 964 RS, of course, and the still-cool-but-substantially-less-cool RS America, but I did not remember the 964 Carrera Cup USA, which was basically a ROW RS (but US road legal) brought to the US to be converted into cars for a racing series that never materialized. Several of the cars had already been converted into racing spec and were re-converted back to roadgoing spec and sold.

Fascinating!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rrera-cup-usa/

What an amazing car.

Drool.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
Nick M3
Relic

Wow. 7 owners and none of them drove it.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Wow. 7 owners and none of them drove it.
Yeah--the fact that this is a low mile car doesn't shock me, because it makes sense that something like this would find its way into a larger collection and be driven only occasionally.

But it is kind of nuts that it's been owned by 7 different people.

Someone in the thread has the right idea, which is that if you're looking for the "ultimate" 964 experience you can build one for far less and actually drive it (though even that is probably getting harder these days).

These cars, like the E36 LTWs, fall into that weird space where there was a window to use them as intended, but that window has now closed and they exist primarily as curiosities to spark conversations amongst marque nerds. Even driving this to a Cars and Coffee won't spark much interest unless it's a PCA sponsored event.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Yeah--the fact that this is a low mile car doesn't shock me, because it makes sense that something like this would find its way into a larger collection and be driven only occasionally.

But it is kind of nuts that it's been owned by 7 different people.

Someone in the thread has the right idea, which is that if you're looking for the "ultimate" 964 experience you can build one for far less and actually drive it (though even that is probably getting harder these days).

These cars, like the E36 LTWs, fall into that weird space where there was a window to use them as intended, but that window has now closed and they exist primarily as curiosities to spark conversations amongst marque nerds. Even driving this to a Cars and Coffee won't spark much interest unless it's a PCA sponsored event.
Exactly. Getting collected? Unsurprising. Getting collected and traded around like this? Surprising.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Exactly. Getting collected? Unsurprising. Getting collected and traded around like this? Surprising.
Momentum traders flipping and taking profits? Bubble indicator?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote