carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #51
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Maybe that just means I’d like an 8000rpm redline and 50more hp?
Well, isn’t the 4.0L 718 exactly that?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #52
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, isn’t the 4.0L 718 exactly that?

Yes. I meant to write that this is basically the (expensive) answer.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:26 AM   #53
FC
Solving problems

Used (MT) Boxster pricing is driving me nuts. I hate that I cannot get what I want. The GTS which I (and apparently a lot of other people) like for the collection of pre-packaged options goes for stupid money.

This one is still overpriced, but...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

I mean, c'mon. It was 80k new, and after nearly 5 years and 15k miles they ask for only a 5k discount? It's not even a color I want.

Here's a 2016 spyder with same mileage and color. Asking $88k and people calling it a great deal. WTF.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1212680

It makes me think that with MT's becoming increasingly rare, even at close to $100k, a new, custom-ordered GTS 4.0 with Euro Delivery may not be a bad long-term purchase. It may well be that last gen of that type of car.

I'm dreaming. And I'm just frustrated.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #54
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Used (MT) Boxster pricing is driving me nuts. I hate that I cannot get what I want. The GTS which I (and apparently a lot of other people) like for the collection of pre-packaged options goes for stupid money.

I mean, c'mon. It was 80k new, and after nearly 5 years and 15k miles they ask for only a 5k discount? It's not even a color I want.

Here's a 2016 spyder with same mileage and color. Asking $88k and people calling it a great deal. WTF.

It makes me think that with MT's becoming increasingly rare, even at close to $100k, a new, custom-ordered GTS 4.0 with Euro Delivery may not be a bad long-term purchase. It may well be that last gen of that type of car.

It does seem like the 4.0 MT 718s will be a really solid long term buy. Obviously a lot of cash out front (although with interest rates where they are maybe loaning the $$$ on a 6yr note would be a good move), but I'd suspect very little to no depreciation long term. All the reviews I've seen say the 718 platform is improved over the 981 in every way except the motor. So you drop arguably Porsche's most beloved motor into the chassis you have a perfect collector. Possibly the last ICE boxster chassis and possibly the last MT boxster.

If you can swing the monthly payment, it would be a cheaper pile of cash then buying a 981 over your ownership period.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #55
JST

Quote:

Yes, pricing on these cars is dumb.

My suggestion, honestly, is to do one of two things:

1) Get a 987.1 for c. 20K. You'll enjoy it the few days you can use a car like this, and while it is much less car than any of the 981s, it's far, far less money and will depreciate a few thousand bucks, if at all. The IMS is annoying, but the risk is small and more than made up for by the depressed cost of entry. If you can find a 987.2, great, but as we've discussed elsewhere that's not easy.

2) Just buy a new one. As you say, the 4.0 GTS is a special car, it will continue to be a special car, and when the electric Boxsters come out, its resale will only increase.

3) Buy something else entirely.

I'd love to do 2 but I can't justify it, so 1 makes more sense than anything.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #56
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

1) Get a 987.1 for c. 20K. You'll enjoy it the few days you can use a car like this, and while it is much less car than any of the 981s, it's far, far less money and will depreciate a few thousand bucks, if at all. The IMS is annoying, but the risk is small and more than made up for by the depressed cost of entry. If you can find a 987.2, great, but as we've discussed elsewhere that's not easy.

2) Just buy a new one. As you say, the 4.0 GTS is a special car, it will continue to be a special car, and when the electric Boxsters come out, its resale will only increase.

The cost of boxsters played a roll in me getting the 911. There was so little price step up going to the 991.2 vs a similarly optioned/nice 981 that the 981 made no sense. Add on the fact I wanted torque and an emergency back seat and it was a no-brainer.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 09-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #57
FC
Solving problems

Quote:

That's pretty much where I find myself. I have a mental block about simply getting what I used to own a decade ago (likely not as well optioned). But that really is where the value is.

It is pretty tough to justify 100k for an occasional sports car. Which, to your third point, opens up the obvious question: If 100K is a "good" cost of ownership calculation for a 4.0 GTS, are there other, better options for spending 50-100k in a car that could be as or more interesting? Finally, there's the "shut up and keep driving the Miata" option because it is fun, costs next to nothing to own, and you don't have to obsess over it.

I'm tempted by this car: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Get a 987.2S yet not have to worry too much about it since it's pretty beat up? It's better than the Miata.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #58
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
and you don't have to obsess over it.
This is definitely something to consider even if you could make the math of the 4.0 work. There is a big difference owning something you are planning to keep for collection / possible investment vs owning something that you have no worries about taking out for a fun weekend road carve.

Needing to protect the 4.0 from all possible hazzards would completely kill the ownership buzz for me.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #59
JST

Quote:
That's pretty much where I find myself. I have a mental block about simply getting what I used to own a decade ago (likely not as well optioned). But that really is where the value is.

It is pretty tough to justify 100k for an occasional sports car. Which, to your third point, opens up the obvious question: If 100K is a "good" cost of ownership calculation for a 4.0 GTS, are there other, better options for spending 50-100k in a car that could be as or more interesting? Finally, there's the "shut up and keep driving the Miata" option because it is fun, costs next to nothing to own, and you don't have to obsess over it.

I'm tempted by this car: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Get a 987.2S yet not have to worry too much about it since it's pretty beat up? It's better than the Miata.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking--a 20-30K car that you only use a few times a year is a lot easier to justify than a 100K car.

That 2009 has promise, but jeez they did not spare the Armor-all, did they? Why do people think that makes a car look better?

It has the sports seats, which are awesome and sort of hard to find, and I love those wheels.

Downsides are high miles, unknown history, and some minor things like the top elastic needing to be fixed and the fact that it has Hankooks (which, to me, suggests an owner or dealer that was looking to cut corners).

But yeah, a car like that would give you 75 percent of the satisfaction of a new one at like 1/3 the price.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #60
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm thinking--a 20-30K car that you only use a few times a year is a lot easier to justify than a 100K car.

That 2009 has promise, but jeez they did not spare the Armor-all, did they? Why do people think that makes a car look better?

It has the sports seats, which are awesome and sort of hard to find, and I love those wheels.

Downsides are high miles, unknown history, and some minor things like the top elastic needing to be fixed and the fact that it has Hankooks (which, to me, suggests an owner or dealer that was looking to cut corners).

But yeah, a car like that would give you 75 percent of the satisfaction of a new one at like 1/3 the price.
I'll reply to this on my Boxster waffling thread...