Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Kinda. I've got a huge propane heater in there (hanging from the ceiling above the workbenches), but I keep it set to a really low temperature and still manually cycle the thermostat when I'm working in there to keep costs low. The detached garage where I'm doing the work is a cinder block building with no insulation and with very drafty old garage doors.

If the air temp is in the 45 degree range I'm perfectly comfortable working in there... the annoying part is the garage is built on a very thick concrete slab and it stays cold basically all year long. Great in the summer (except water condenses on it in the summer) but not great in the winter. Even with ski socks on and work boots my feet get really cold out there.

In the next few years I plan to frame out the walls just enough to put some rigid foam insulation on the walls, replace the old wooden doors with roll-up doors, insulate the attic and epoxy the floors, but I don't know when I'll get to that.
Might consider electric radiant heat for the floors.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote