carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #131
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
(sigh)

someone is going to get a nicely maintained boxster at carmax!
I was nicely surprised with the CarMax offer -- its above what Edmunds says the trade-in value of the Boxster should be (and my past experience is that Edmunds trade-in value is usually ~$2k high).

I thought about listing it for private party sale -- but after seeing what the going rate is based on recently closed eBay auctions, it was clear that getting more than $30k was going to be difficult. Basically, nothing is selling for over $29-30k on eBay -- there are a couple that bid above $30k, but failed to meet reserve. There are also a few that only bid up to low $20s (all under $25k) that also failed to meet reserve...

FWIW, the Boxster is just over 5 years old (original delivery was Feb 2008). It will turn 39k miles today. I've had it for just shy of 33 months, and put on a little under 35k miles.

3 of the tires are still original (one of the rears was replaced at ~12k miles 2 years ago) -- so it does need new tires (although CarMax noted they were in "good" condition). It has a door ding (that was there when I bought the car -- but failed to notice it since it only is visible from one angle). It also has a bunch of rock chips over the front and hood, with a couple on the passenger door -- common issue out here with all the gravel and hard desert soil. And there are a couple of scratches/rub marks here and there on the vinyl-coated plastic parts on the interior -- although I had some paint matched at Loews and touched up a couple of them (worked surprisingly well...). All of those would have made a private party sale more difficult, especially if someone was looking for perfection...
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #132
ZBB
Relic

Had a FedEx package waiting for me at home today. Includes the temporary CA registration for the Tesla. I have to sign the CA forms and send back, but keep the temp registration slip to put on the rear window when I take delivery (and its dated Jun 2).

This is starting to actually feel real!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #133
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
(sigh)

someone is going to get a nicely maintained boxster at carmax!
Too bad it wasn't a Cayman. Then I might have to fly south and drive north.

But - sounds like a good deal for you for the roadster.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #134
ZBB
Relic

OK... All paperwork is now complete (sale of Boxster, purchase of Tesla, temporary CA registration, loan doc, etc). Just have to make final payment to Tesla and then they ship the car out...

Interestingly, both Tesla and the credit union I used for the loan (Alliant) use DocuSign in order to digitally sign all the agreements. The only paper I've had to sign was the temp CA registration documents...
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #135
ZBB
Relic

This should be my last update before delivery...

I received the loan check this morning and FedExed it to Tesla this afternoon (along with the temp CA registration docs). I also paid Tesla for the balance due.

I should get a delivery date confirmed tomorrow. Tentative date is June 2...
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #136
JST

Nice. Will be following your experience closely.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #137
ZBB
Relic

One last post for now...

Tesla is making their Supercharger announcement, but Musk is on stage at D11 right now. And he just confirmed that there will be a "dramatic acceleration of the Supercharger network. Tripling the area." Includes the following:
- "We're increasing the density of the network along the routes, as well as increasing the area."
- "The Supercharger network by the end of this year will cover most of the major areas of the US and Canada. You will be able to drive from LA to New York using Superchargers."

If so, road trips will be very feasible in a 60...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #138
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
- "The Supercharger network by the end of this year will cover most of the major areas of the US and Canada. You will be able to drive from LA to New York using Superchargers."
That's awesome.

How much does it cost to charge up at one of those? And if the answer is "nothing," who pays for the electricity? I'm assuming Tesla is paying for the stations themselves, probably with some substantial federal and state subsidies helping out.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #139
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
That's awesome.

How much does it cost to charge up at one of those? And if the answer is "nothing," who pays for the electricity? I'm assuming Tesla is paying for the stations themselves, probably with some substantial federal and state subsidies helping out.
It's free. Theoretically, some/all of the electricity is offset by solar, but I don't know how true that is.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #140
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's free. Theoretically, some/all of the electricity is offset by solar, but I don't know how true that is.
Wow. So it would economically make sense, if not gastronomically, for a Tesla owner to have dinner several nights a week at a highway service area.