carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-05-2023, 09:07 AM   #11
JST

Oh and the Volvo is also a good call but whether or not it makes sense I don’t feel good about buying a Geely.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:29 AM   #12
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
With the X3, it's essential that it has all the sport suspension bits. And, if it's like my car (and it should be), the gas mileage with the hybrid battery boost is really quite decent.

I suspect it would be a very livable addition to your fleet. You can even order it with a spare, but keep in mind that it raises the cargo floor a bit--not really a problem if you don't have animals that need to hop in back there.

Cargo space is not fantastic with all the seats in use, but then, there's always the roof box... Or, if you order the hitch (and you should), you can do a hitch-mounted box. The hitch would be handy for your bike as well.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:44 AM   #13
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Mine is a GT AWD with the extended range battery. I love it.

While I can't compare it to a Tesla, as I have never owned one, I love the MACH-E. I haven't experienced much torque steer but then again, I rarely 'floor it'. It's alarmingly fast without going WOT.

I agree that the interior materials are not as nice as Audis or BMWs I've owned in the past, but it still feels high end (to me at least). Granted I was coming from the Jeep Rubicon so everything seemed luxurious compared to that.

When cross shopping, the only other all-electrics I test drove were the Polestar and the Volvo XC Recharge. For both, the first word that came to mind was boring.

As you mentioned, the MACH-E will get to use the Tesla network sometime next year. Until then you could rent something for road trips? I have noticed that outside of Austin, the network for charging is sparse so I haven't considered any road trips. But I think we could manage one to Dallas or Houston if we needed to. Texas is huge so any road trips, we would take the husband's F150 with a ridiculous 500+ mile range tank. I haven't even used a fast charger here in Austin. We got a charger installed at the house a week after we bought the car.

What I really want doesn't exist, and that's an all electric Mini Countryman. So I will keep the MACH-E for a few years and wait and see.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:58 AM   #14
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’ll have to check TDs M3 when it comes in, but I suspect it’s not that much bigger than the F80.
How about a low mileage (for it's age) 2008 Audi A4 Avant 6-spd? Pre scratched and dinged so you won't be overprotective.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:07 AM   #15
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
The answer seems pretty obvious to me. You need a Toyota Century

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9Wq...toyota-century
Old 06-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #16
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Stinger GT is a good call but they’re EOL; I suspect they’d be hard to find.
I just did a quick search. There are 14 Stingers within 100 miles of Houston (13 on lot). 5 of those have the V6. None have a manual (which I think was dropped a couple years ago, and even then only on the small engine).

Too bad it will be a 1-generation car. Still looks great.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #17
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'd probably do one of the Korean EV appliances, certainly over an A4 and likely over a Mach-E.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:23 PM   #18
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'd probably do one of the Korean EV appliances, certainly over an A4 and likely over a Mach-E.
I think they are hard to get these days and have a fairly hefty ADM. But, still probably cheaper than anything Audi or BMW.

Speaking of which, there is also the X4. I have never driven one to see if they are more fun to drive than the X3. But, they certainly offer less utility, so they have that going for them. LOL.

I think the Mach-E is great looking for an SUV, BTW. But, I do worry about Ford reliability.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:34 PM   #19
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I just did a quick search. There are 14 Stingers within 100 miles of Houston (13 on lot). 5 of those have the V6. None have a manual (which I think was dropped a couple years ago, and even then only on the small engine).

Too bad it will be a 1-generation car. Still looks great.
I don't think the Kia Stinger was ever offered with a manual. Anyway, JST didn't say he was looking for a manual.

Not much out there new with manuals these days, especially larger practical sedans or wagons. https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...smission-cars/

Hyundai Elantra N might fit the bill, though some of the styling embellishments I could do without.

I like the Jetta and it would fit JST's use I think. Very nice car for the money. Kind of amazed to see a manual one in dealer stock here. Too bad it's a Sport rather than the GTI version. https://www.momentumvolkswagen.com/n...f5af3252d1.htm
Old 06-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #20
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The styling of the Mach-E doesn't work for me. Every time I see one I'm reminded how much it looks like a V6 mustang on stilts (mostly because of the narrow wheels and tires I think). Tremendously dorky. And yeah, Ford reliability.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote