carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #141
JST

Fwiw, I briefly thought about something like this but this copy is like doge and is going straight to the moon.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ra-rsx-type-s/

I’m now thinking about FiSTs.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:21 PM   #142
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Nice. I don’t think the subframe issues were that big a deal on low power E46s, were they?

Anyway seems like a good deal. Should be kind of interesting doing the work on the suspension if you decide to do that.

Probably should do the radiator/water pump, yeah?
Quote:
Fwiw, I briefly thought about something like this but this copy is like doge and is going straight to the moon.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ra-rsx-type-s/

I’m now thinking about FiSTs.
The trick for me is remembering its purpose: to be reliable(ish) transportation for my kids for two years. Longer than that is gravy, but expectation is to drive it to dust. There's so much aftermarket support for the car and some really nice things that could be done that it's real easy to get caught up in what could be. But it will exist in the fleet for my kid to get from Point A to Point B safely. Anything too nice, and I'll be saddened to see it get abused like kids do no matter their best intentions.

I think the 325s were the least affected and it was the earlier E46s that were most prone. I'm only thinking of it because of the clunk I heard.

I'm going to see what it really "needs" before doing the cooling. If it doesn't really need much beyond tires in the immediate, I'll do it pretty quickly. If it needs more up front, I may aim to defer cooling to September. My maintenance/repair budget goal is $2k/year and don't want to blow it all in one batch.

Edit- I did look a little at some of the smaller Acuras and a few RSXs popped up. No Ss in my budget range, though. I don't think I'd want one for one of my kids' first cars.

As much as everyone loves FiSTs, they scare the piss out of me. Not as tippy as the look like they should be, but still tippy.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #143
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I

Yesterday, I found a 2004 base spec (or nearly so) 5 speed manual 325i on FB Marketplace. 107k miles and the photos looked like it was in decent shape. Asking price was $4200, which seemed reasonable?

I saw and drove it this afternoon and it may have actually been cleaner than the photos suggested. It's not perfect, but seems really nice.

There's a bit of a clunk in the rear over sharp bumps. I guess worst case it could be cracks or tearing at the subframe mount, but I'm choosing to believe it will be more benign, like end links. The shocks/struts may be a little tired, but I didn't see any leakage. It probably "needs" most/all new bushings, too, but not enough for someone not sensitive to it to feel like it's a problem. The tires have enough tread, but one has a little gouge on the sidewall which probably means it will need to be replaced to pass MD inspection. If I have to do one, I may as well do all four.

This will be interesting.
Congrats, that's a good find. Our 2003 has been the perfect first car / winter beater for 7yrs now. Our two girls learned to drive, it got them through high school and college. Nate is just 15, but I've been giving him driving lessons in it for a while now. A couple months ago we gave it to Britt, our oldest, to have in Philly where she's living/ working now and she promptly got rear ended about 3 wks ago and pushed into the car in front of her. She's fine and the car is drivable. It will be interesting to see what insurance does re: totalling it and what we decide to do with it if they do. It's been great at everything we've asked of it, we are really hesitant to let it go.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #144
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Congrats, that's a good find. Our 2003 has been the perfect first car / winter beater for 7yrs now. Our two girls learned to drive, it got them through high school and college. Nate is just 15, but I've been giving him driving lessons in it for a while now. A couple months ago we gave it to Britt, our oldest, to have in Philly where she's living/ working now and she promptly got rear ended about 3 wks ago and pushed into the car in front of her. She's fine and the car is drivable. It will be interesting to see what insurance does re: totalling it and what we decide to do with it if they do. It's been great at everything we've asked of it, we are really hesitant to let it go.
Do you know how bad the damage is? Whether it's cosmetic or structural? Hopefully it works out favorably.

I'd be lying if I said that vague recollections of your experience with it in the new driver role wasn't one of the influencing factors in my head when I stumbled upon this car.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #145
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Sounds like a fun find, if it doesn’t turn into a money pit.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #146
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Nice. I don’t think the subframe issues were that big a deal on low power E46s, were they?
A lot depends on the quality of the roads and how the car was driven. The clunks in mine are the end links and I haven't been motivated enough to do anything about them.

Quote:
Anyway seems like a good deal. Should be kind of interesting doing the work on the suspension if you decide to do that.
Per Clyde's post, he's hoping for a service life of about 2 years without major investments. I'd put this in the "don't do anything yet, but keep an eye on it and decide if it is worth doing if it gets worse" category.

Quote:
Probably should do the radiator/water pump, yeah?
If the plan is to keep / use it for an extended period, definitely. If it will be driven somewhere no service is available (like Death Valley) or where it is dangerous to pull over with a disabled car (like the Long Island Expressway during rush hour), definitely. But if the driver(s) can be trained to recognize problems as soon as they happen, then it can probably wait. Given that the E46 cooling system at 120K-ish is "replace everything between the engine block and the bumper", it can get expensive if you have a shop do it. If you DIY, it is a tradeoff between doing as little as possible and hoping you don't have to go back in for something else or biting the bullet and doing the whole shebang at once.

If the plan for it was to be a keeper driven by an enthusiast:
  • Suspension
  • Cooling system
  • Brake rotors, pads and fluid flush
  • CDV delete

But none of those are needed for a kids beater car.

DO check to make sure the airbag recalls have been done.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #147
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Do you know how bad the damage is? Whether it's cosmetic or structural? Hopefully it works out favorably.

I'd be lying if I said that vague recollections of your experience with it in the new driver role wasn't one of the influencing factors in my head when I stumbled upon this car.
I hope this one treats your kids as well as the wagon has treated us. It's been far from flawless (as you'd expect from a 18 yr old BMW that hasn't been babied), but it has always accomplished everything we asked of it. It was actually running really well before it got hit. It's home with me now. I drove it this morning and it feels totally fine.

The damage is in that tweener stage, especially considering the car is probably worth $2k max. The front bumber has damage from the trailer hitch on the truck she got pushed into. I'd be totally fine leaving that as is, that bumper is already a bit of a mess.

The rear is worse, she got hit by a pickup on that side too. The tailgate has a bend to it and the bumper is pushed in, obviously messing up the mount. The frame itself seems fine, the rear quarter panels, lights, etc are all straight and undamaged. I'll post pics from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_100334.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	13427  Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_100339.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	13428  
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #148
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Ugh, sorry to hear Josh..
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #149
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I hope this one treats your kids as well as the wagon has treated us. It's been far from flawless (as you'd expect from a 18 yr old BMW that hasn't been babied), but it has always accomplished everything we asked of it. It was actually running really well before it got hit. It's home with me now. I drove it this morning and it feels totally fine.

The damage is in that tweener stage, especially considering the car is probably worth $2k max. The front bumber has damage from the trailer hitch on the truck she got pushed into. I'd be totally fine leaving that as is, that bumper is already a bit of a mess.

The rear is worse, she got hit by a pickup on that side too. The tailgate has a bend to it and the bumper is pushed in, obviously messing up the mount. The frame itself seems fine, the rear quarter panels, lights, etc are all straight and undamaged. I'll post pics from my phone.
Even though it may be enough damage to total it, I'd have a hard time letting it go for that if I still had a need for a beater class vehicle. $2k may be undervaluing by a decent little bit. It would depend on numbers, but I'd probably try to get the max payout that doesn't result in a salvage title...even then, at the right match between payout and buyback, it may be worth it.

Hope your daughter is and continues to be okay.

After looking at E46s a bit, there's very little available under $3k that are running. If it looks relatively clean looking at first glance and has under 200k, it's probably $4k minimum.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #150
clyde
Chief title editor

Forgot to add...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6764.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	338.2 KB