carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

TD--just curious if you've driven

the Jetta GLI and/or Golf GTI? Same platform, drivetrain and engine as the A3 2.0 you liked, and they seem to get fairly good reviews.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
JST

The GLI feels like a stiffer A3, but it's heavier, feels bigger, and feels slower. It's also as ugly as sin.

The GTI...now, that might be a truly great car. The 3 door, at least, should be a bit lighter than the A3, and it will be stiffer, too.

None at dealers yet (confusingly, as they did with the 99 Jettas, there will be 2006 Mk. IV GTIs AND 2006 Mk. V GTIs, apparently). The woman at the veedub stand at NAIAS said March (for the 3 door).

I'm still trying to figure out where it fits in my fleet, but I see a white 5 door GTI in my future.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
The GLI feels like a stiffer A3, but it's heavier, feels bigger, and feels slower. It's also as ugly as sin.

The GTI...now, that might be a truly great car. The 3 door, at least, should be a bit lighter than the A3, and it will be stiffer, too.

None at dealers yet (confusingly, as they did with the 99 Jettas, there will be 2006 Mk. IV GTIs AND 2006 Mk. V GTIs, apparently). The woman at the veedub stand at NAIAS said March (for the 3 door).

I'm still trying to figure out where it fits in my fleet, but I see a white 5 door GTI in my future.
At one house along my commute there lives someone who has to be a certifiable VW Fan Boy. He has had a Corrado and 35th Anniversary GTI in the driveway for years.

As of Monday, there is now also a brand new white GTI.

So dealers have them.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

BTW, the nearest VW dealer to me is also a Mazda dealer. I plan to check out the Speed6 and the GLI (and maybe GTI, depending on availability) at the same time. Probably soon.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
At one house along my commute there lives someone who has to be a certifiable VW Fan Boy. He has had a Corrado and 35th Anniversary GTI in the driveway for years.

As of Monday, there is now also a brand new white GTI.

So dealers have them.

Huh. Sure enough--three at the dealer close to me.

Looks like I have some new plans this weekend.

EDIT:

10 in Tyson's, including several manuals.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Huh. Sure enough--three at the dealer close to me.

Looks like I have some new plans this weekend.

EDIT:

10 in Tyson's, including several manuals.
If you're game, I'd be up to meet in Tysons on Saturday.

Just me.

Last edited by TD; 02-02-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
It's also as ugly as sin.
I really don't know what VW is thinking with the current Jetta... I can kind of understand the shape of the nose/headlights and bringing them back in-line with the Golf. But the bling-bling chrome grille is horrible, and the rest of the design is almost an exact replica of the Toyota Corolla...

The Jetta IV is truly a great exterior design -- it looked like a car that cost 1.5-2 times as much as it really did.

The new one looks cheaper that it really is...

The new Passat is nearly the same design, but has enough differences from standard Toyota styling that it is better looking. But its also a step back from the last version, especially the front.

Speaking of derivative designs, has anybody noticed that the new Buick Lucern looks like an evolution of the old Passat from the rear and rear 3/4 views?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
I really don't know what VW is thinking with the current Jetta... I can kind of understand the shape of the nose/headlights and bringing them back in-line with the Golf. But the bling-bling chrome grille is horrible, and the rest of the design is almost an exact replica of the Toyota Corolla...

The Jetta IV is truly a great exterior design -- it looked like a car that cost 1.5-2 times as much as it really did.

The new one looks cheaper that it really is...

The new Passat is nearly the same design, but has enough differences from standard Toyota styling that it is better looking. But its also a step back from the last version, especially the front.

Speaking of derivative designs, has anybody noticed that the new Buick Lucern looks like an evolution of the old Passat from the rear and rear 3/4 views?

The Lucerne is interesting; I think it's a great illustration of the holistic perception of car design. Beyond the fact that it's got a big badge mounted in the center of the trunk, I can't exactly put my finger on why it looks so much like a VW. But it does, to the point that when I saw one on the road from a distance, I was convinced it was some sort of VW--even though I knew it wasn't, since it didn't look like any specific VW model.

The same is true of the new Jetta--I agree that it looks A LOT like a Corolla. And yet, it doesn't, really, not if you put pics of the two cars side by side. It's something more to do with the general design language than with any specific features.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
JST

Oh, and while we are speaking of derivative designs: The Mercury Milan is what the new Jetta should have been, I think. It looks like a Mk. IV Jetta, but bigger a bit classier.

Have to say that the Five Hundred would make a better new Passat than the current new Passat, too.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Oh, and while we are speaking of derivative designs: The Mercury Milan is what the new Jetta should have been, I think. It looks like a Mk. IV Jetta, but bigger a bit classier.

Have to say that the Five Hundred would make a better new Passat than the current new Passat, too.
You're right on both... except have you seen the trunk on the Milan? Holy gigantic chrome turn signals Batman (and a rather oversized Mercury logo too).

I drove a Lincoln Zephyr and sat in the Fusion at Barrett-Jackson last week -- adn i am a little surprised that you can't get Leather in the Fusion (you have to get the Milan to get leather). Its badge-engineering like that that is what makes the Ford brand troubled. I don't think they should necessarily kill Mercury (although it might be a good idea); but limiting Ford to the low-end really makes me want to go buy a Ford product...