carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Cayman oil analysis

All is well. Engine still breaking in as I suspected.

First oil change at 4650 miles, this is the second oil change at 11650 miles (hardly any hard driving and lots of highway). Porsche recommends 2yr/20000 miles, though they are reducing I think. What's funny is that my German, old school, mechanic dragged on a ciggy, looked at the black oil coming out and admonished me for going longer than 5000 miles. I thought I could get away with it with the easy driving and the 8 quart capacity. I guess he was right.

Don't be too alarmed by all the highlighted numbers. High wear and silicon are common finds in new engines, such as your 3.4L. The excess wear metals are from new parts breaking-in, while silicon is from sand-casted parts and sealers used when assembling your engine. Both should improve with subsequent oil changes. Universal averages are based on an oil run of ~4,600 miles. We suggest running the next oil just 5,000 miles. Shorter oil runs will speed your engine through the break-in process. The TBN read 5.4 so you had plenty of active additive remaining.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote