carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-26-2019, 11:41 PM   #131
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Holy crapballs I hate all of that dynamic chassis bullshit. Give me one setting. Make it the right one. Done.
Are you against active suspensions? Or just the idea of letting the user have control?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 AM   #132
JST

I’ve never driven a car with an adjustable suspension that provides options that are actually useful. Given that, I’d rather have a simpler suspension setup than a complicated adjustable one.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #133
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’ve never driven a car with an adjustable suspension that provides options that are actually useful. Given that, I’d rather have a simpler suspension setup than a complicated adjustable one.

The Lexus GSF is like that - a lot of reviews say it’s setup perfectly.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #134
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
There are a few things going on here. Active vs. adjustable... Shocks only vs. shocks & bars... Usually when a suspension is adjustable, manufacturers add software to make them active too.

On the F10 Dynamic Handling Package, the 3 suspension settings are absolutely meaningful and very easy to switch between. Normal is a great balance for most conditions. Car can be left in that setting for almost all driving, the ride is smooth city or highway and the balance acceptable. You'd only "need" Sport for smooth back roads and may be a smooth-ish highway. 'Comfort' for the worst urban areas, pot holes, speed bumps etc. All three settings ride decently.

The active sway bars make that car more comfortable and handle with less roll than a passive set up would allow. I think the downside is complexity/reliability. They are currently fine at 8 years and 56k miles; there is some high-pressure oily cylinder in the middle that does the magic. I'm not sure if the shocks are continually being adjusted, there is a good chance they are. I probably wouldn't like it on the track, but the DHP is great on a street car like the f10. It's the best adjustable suspension I have owned/experienced.

The GTI has good handling (maybe the R is a lot better) but it is quite firm for bad roads. It's not quite soft enough for NYC. I always prefer the ride of the f10. Clearly the roads down in NoVa and DC area are better than Jersey and NY.

The "track handling" f30, with its adaptive set-up, is closer in ride to the GTI than it is to the f10. There is some but not tremendous difference between 'comfort' and 'sport', likely because the sway bars are what they are and shock settings only go so far.

The Porsche PASM is a pretty good set-up as well. My complaint is ergonomics of controlling it. Looks like they are getting around to fixing that, putting a knob on the steering wheel (as opposed to several buttons that you need to look down for and cannot feel). The adjustable bmw's have an awesome button right next to the shifter that don't require diverting driver eyes. The x73 is a more 'fun' set up for the porsche but both car and occupants would get beat up more on terrible roads. On both the 981 and the f10, if I were to keep them forever and the adjustable stuff wore out, I might replace with quality, passive shocks. Not sure.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #135
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The GTI has good handling (maybe the R is a lot better) but it is quite firm for bad roads. ....

my GTI is a luxury sedan compared to my turbo
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #136
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
my GTI is a luxury sedan compared to my turbo
You should see the bad roads around here and get a ride in a DHP f10. Passengers sleep like babies.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #137
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
You should see the bad roads around here and get a ride in a DHP f10. Passengers sleep like babies.
yeah was guessing that.

CA roads are actually pretty bad nowadays with lack of maintenance and a rainy winter but I assume still better.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #138
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Cool. I've never tried a DHP equipped F10- always seemed intriguing w/ the active sway bar. Compared to your F30 how much lean is there in corners w/ both set to "sport"? I remember seeing videos of DHP F10s where it looks they corner almost completely flat.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #139
JST

Quote:
There are a few things going on here. Active vs. adjustable... Shocks only vs. shocks & bars... Usually when a suspension is adjustable, manufacturers add software to make them active too.

On the F10 Dynamic Handling Package, the 3 suspension settings are absolutely meaningful and very easy to switch between. Normal is a great balance for most conditions. Car can be left in that setting for almost all driving, the ride is smooth city or highway and the balance acceptable. You'd only "need" Sport for smooth back roads and may be a smooth-ish highway. 'Comfort' for the worst urban areas, pot holes, speed bumps etc. All three settings ride decently.

The active sway bars make that car more comfortable and handle with less roll than a passive set up would allow. I think the downside is complexity/reliability. They are currently fine at 8 years and 56k miles; there is some high-pressure oily cylinder in the middle that does the magic. I'm not sure if the shocks are continually being adjusted, there is a good chance they are. I probably wouldn't like it on the track, but the DHP is great on a street car like the f10. It's the best adjustable suspension I have owned/experienced.

The GTI has good handling (maybe the R is a lot better) but it is quite firm for bad roads. It's not quite soft enough for NYC. I always prefer the ride of the f10. Clearly the roads down in NoVa and DC area are better than Jersey and NY.

The "track handling" f30, with its adaptive set-up, is closer in ride to the GTI than it is to the f10. There is some but not tremendous difference between 'comfort' and 'sport', likely because the sway bars are what they are and shock settings only go so far.

The Porsche PASM is a pretty good set-up as well. My complaint is ergonomics of controlling it. Looks like they are getting around to fixing that, putting a knob on the steering wheel (as opposed to several buttons that you need to look down for and cannot feel). The adjustable bmw's have an awesome button right next to the shifter that don't require diverting driver eyes. The x73 is a more 'fun' set up for the porsche but both car and occupants would get beat up more on terrible roads. On both the 981 and the f10, if I were to keep them forever and the adjustable stuff wore out, I might replace with quality, passive shocks. Not sure.
I haven't tried an F10 with the active suspension bits. The roads around here are pretty awful, but the biggest complaint I have about them isn't the ride--it's the impact (literally) on wheels. I suppose turning down the damping could theoretically help with that, but idk that there's anything you can do when it comes to a 20 or 21" wheel and a 35 series tire.

I really don't mind the Golf R on full stiff, even on jouncy roads.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #140
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
You’re probably getting the best out of the system not having the run flat tires.

Why bmw is so hooked on run flats is beyond me, I get the ‘no spare we are saving money per car’ thing but nowadays they figured out you charge $150 and you get a spare (which I went for even with the runflats)... I want regular tires

I’d like to believe it might be for safety reasons given a blow out with a run flat might be safer.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote