carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #101
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I need to fix what I wrote. The CPO is transferable once, it seems, private owner to private owner, filling out forms and paying $200... It doesn't just stay with the VIN anymore. It also stays if you trade in to a BMW dealer.

It is down from 6/100 to 5/unlimited. Given the low mileage I drive, this was a negative surprise. I did so little research, I found this out while signing the paperwork in the back office. I guess I thought I knew what CPO meant (having had three). I used to be an overly analytical sort. I guess I've changed, I'm finding humor in missing this. It might be less funny two years from now when the warranty is up...

CPO and maintenance have been de-contented. Apparently 2016's had 4/50 maintenance instead of the current 3/36 but that is not transferable either, so I don't even get one free service visit. Wah wah...

Otherwise, the car is fine. It's not "thrilling", but it doesn't annoy. It's along the lines of what I've driven for two decades so it feels like coming home after the Jeep & Macan forays. C likes it a lot. I'm not 100% sold on the LED headlights, I think xenons had just as good coverage if not better. Perhaps these are cheaper/more reliable.

Nitpicks:
* ride is not as luxo/smooth as the 5, even five years newer.
* interior plastics are harder. This is not a huge issue for me.
* I'd like to split steering weight and suspension firmness in the sport mode. Comfort has both soft. I'd really like steering always a bit firmer than it is in comfort and even sport is pretty light. Not terrible though. There are some rev-matches to get used to as well.

Positives:
* Gearbox is much smoother than the 535i. Much. Might be the smoothest MT BMW I've driven.
* General light, peppy feeling. The nose doesn't feel heavy or boaty or have a mind of its own.
* Option advantages over my 5: folding rear seats, HK stereo.
* Not many doodads tech in this spec. Nice old orange glow and basic instruments.
* Engine is very linear. Hardest to feel turbo lag ever.
* I do prefer it to the e90 (although it's been a while since I've had one or been in one). Just more comfortable interior.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XGtVjZn6eHJsFZep8

Does it rev match for you in sport mode on downshifts?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #102
robg
Carmudgeon

Consolidating? 340i AWD

Sounds like you made a solid choice. Bmw finally started allowing full customization of sport mode in 2018 on newer models I think - they now allow separate configuration of steering, suspension, transmission, throttle. Was annoying how they used to bundle the settings.

So the old 4/50 maintenance program doesn’t transfer to a new owner either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #103
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Does it rev match for you in sport mode on downshifts?
Right. Forgot to ask this.

When asking why I crap on BMW... not adding an option to disable rev matching (even if somewhere in the iDrive menu) is exhibit A
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #104
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
It does rev match. My other manual cars don't so I do it myself on those. The transition doesn't bother me. I think I've only experienced it in the GT4 previously.

If the 2018's can be split along those lines (I have my doubts), that would be a large positive. It would also imply that somewhere there is a coding/setting solution to this.

And yes, I have to do some coding just like I did on the f10.
* I'd like to see tire temperatures. Stock f10 had only colors, so coding fixed that.
* Rear doors stay locked when I exit the vehicle. This doesn't seem possible to set to unlock any normal way. f10 had this as well.
* Fold mirrors when locking with a long press.
Others will come to mind.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #105
JST

Quote:
It does rev match. My other manual cars don't so I do it myself on those. The transition doesn't bother me. I think I've only experienced it in the GT4 previously.

If the 2018's can be split along those lines (I have my doubts), that would be a large positive. It would also imply that somewhere there is a coding/setting solution to this.

And yes, I have to do some coding just like I did on the f10.
* I'd like to see tire temperatures. Stock f10 had only colors, so coding fixed that.
* Rear doors stay locked when I exit the vehicle. This doesn't seem possible to set to unlock any normal way. f10 had this as well.
* Fold mirrors when locking with a long press.
Others will come to mind.

Yeah, that's super annoying, but there's probably a coding fix.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #106
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Sounds like you made a solid choice. Bmw finally started allowing full customization of sport mode in 2018 on newer models I think - they now allow separate configuration of steering, suspension, transmission, throttle. Was annoying how they used to bundle the settings.

So the old 4/50 maintenance program doesn’t transfer to a new owner either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does not. Or only 3/36 does. Or it depends on when you bought it. Whichever it is, I do not get the fourth year of maintenance.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #107
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Right. Forgot to ask this.

When asking why I crap on BMW... not adding an option to disable rev matching (even if somewhere in the iDrive menu) is exhibit A
My M3 disables rev-matching only on Sport+ mode. But for some reason, VERY late F8X cars won't disable it even in that mode.

That is very annoying. It should be configurable regardless of mode. There is supposed to be a way to hack into it, but it doesn't seem easy.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #108
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
My M3 disables rev-matching only on Sport+ mode. But for some reason, VERY late F8X cars won't disable it even in that mode.

That is very annoying. It should be configurable regardless of mode. There is supposed to be a way to hack into it, but it doesn't seem easy.
or you can have the m2 which only disables it with traction control completely off

I figured they would of fixed that on the m2 comp but did not. Seems easy enough to add a setting in the idrive and tied to the m buttons.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nice looking car equ
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #109
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Seems easy enough to add a setting in the idrive and tied to the m buttons.
Exactly. Bury it in a menu somewhere so that most people won't even know it's there.

There's no excuse not to include it as an option. It's a clear statement that they don't give a shit about people who actually like to drive.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #110
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Here's a screenshot of a 2019 with the updated sport individual mode screen. Granted this is on the full boat NBT Evo hardware, but even on cars like yours with the base non-nav system they still offer similar settings screens. The base non-nav X3 loaner I had also had a similar config screen though it lacked adaptive dampers of course. I'm guessing its likely possible to enable through coding although it might require software update first. I dont know why it took them so long to do this- they've had that drive mode selector since atleast 2011 I think.

robg is offline   Reply With Quote