carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

Litlle by little, the E39 electronics upgrades are going in

Thanks to ZBB for the XM Direct kit and the Dension iPod kit. They are both fully installed and operational. The XM has been installed for weeks and it's been nice to have satellite radio for my commute again.

I just finished the iPod kit, running it from the rear to the center console. At ZBB's suggestion, the empty adapter port can be tucked into the little compartment with the sliding door that is just forward of the armrest.

Operation is quirky with the iPhone, though. I originally tested the kit entirely in the trunk with a neighbor friend's iPod Nano (I actually do not own an iPod). With it, you could control the music from wither the dash or the iPod itself. With the iPhone, you cannot control the iPod app from the unit, just the dash. But that's not the cool part.

I tried the Pandora app next and it works through the car. Very cool. This time it leaves whatever the last iPod audio info was up on the dash but shows all info and allows control at the iPhone. It's an unlimited data plan, right?

Since I'm stuck driving the E39, seeing the iPhone hooked up like this in the car makes me eager to get my iPhone.

I'm about to turn my attention to the Bluetooth amp - which has been frustrating as my car's wiring does not match the instruction and since no one at EAS has a brain or works weekends.

That will leave the aux adapter - which looks trickier than it should be.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Cool... Glad they are up and working...

I only used the Dension kit with my iPod -- I didn't get the iPhone until after I got the CTS. In the CTS, the iPhone also plays Pandora and other audio apps through the car -- very cool, especially considering that we cancelled our XM account...
Old 05-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
I need to get into the 'upgrades' on the '01 E38 I have - my Mom's old car.

I just need the time to sit down and figure out what I want to do... and the $$ to do it.
The first thing on the list is Gen IV nav computer (DVD based).
From there - bluetooth for the phone would be nice...

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote