carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #1671
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 535i, macanurbo
Posts: 7,704
Let me get this, $10 of supercharging gets you 100miles, give or take? So it's about equivalent to 30 - 33mpg depending on prevailing gas prices? I thought it was much cheaper than that.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #1672
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,524
Unless my math is wrong...

I can charge my 80 kw battery for $7.20. ($0.09/kwh during night charging).

In theory that gives me 310 miles of range. Lets be conservative and say 240 miles.

93 octane gas is $3.50 near me. So that $7.20 would buy me 2.05 gallons of gas. Over 240 miles that's 117 mpg, or 4.6 times more efficient than my E46.

I think super charger rates are more like $0.25 / kwh. I mean, mine will be free, but even if it weren't, who cares? 99% of my charging will be done at home.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #1673
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 535i, macanurbo
Posts: 7,704
I'm not computing home rates, I'm just going by the supercharger numbers and I was surprised.

The ole' 330i is hardly a model of efficiency. Having smelled that car on the NJ tpke (I had my top down when you accelerating at times near me), I'm not sure it's running all that clean. So the model3 will be a welcome change, I think you'll end up selling the e46.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #1674
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The ole' 330i is hardly a model of efficiency. Having smelled that car on the NJ tpke.


It may be polluting the atmosphere, and it does burn some oil.. but the dash still says 25 mpg. (or maybe 24?) with a mix of city and highway.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:51 PM   #1675
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Unless my math is wrong...

I can charge my 80 kw battery for $7.20. ($0.09/kwh during night charging).

In theory that gives me 310 miles of range. Lets be conservative and say 240 miles.

93 octane gas is $3.50 near me. So that $7.20 would buy me 2.05 gallons of gas. Over 240 miles that's 117 mpg, or 4.6 times more efficient than my E46.

I think super charger rates are more like $0.25 / kwh. I mean, mine will be free, but even if it weren't, who cares? 99% of my charging will be done at home.
You should account for losses during charging if you want to be super precise, but yeah, that's the thing about these cars--they are more efficient.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:36 AM   #1676
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 11,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Let me get this, $10 of supercharging gets you 100miles, give or take? So it's about equivalent to 30 - 33mpg depending on prevailing gas prices? I thought it was much cheaper than that.
That was just me amortizing the $2k option cost across each Supercharger visit. I used Superchargers primarily for road trips, not all my driving. For my Model 3, I’ll have to pay for each charge, which would be -$6.25 for the same added range, so more like 50ish mpg...

~80% of the miles on the S was from charging at home — and that icost significantly less. For the 5 years I had the CTS and Boxster, I averaged $195 per month in fuel cost. The Model S added about $30/month to our electric bill... I also drove it 100-200 more miles per month...
__________________
ZBB

Last edited by ZBB; 09-17-2018 at 07:40 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #1677
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 535i, macanurbo
Posts: 7,704
Ah that makes sense. So it's not like you were paying $10 (or 5 or 15) for each supercharger visit. Is the wholesale $2k cheaper than buying on the spot? Did it stay with your car/VIN?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #1678
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 11,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Ah that makes sense. So it's not like you were paying $10 (or 5 or 15) for each supercharger visit. Is the wholesale $2k cheaper than buying on the spot? Did it stay with your car/VIN?
It was only an option on the early 60s... and was a lifetime enablement with the car, so it stays with the car. All the other early S and X had free supercharging included in the price of the car.

Tesla started moving away from free supercharging about 2 years now. But until last week, you could get it with a referral. That ended over the weekend.

Itís now pay per use for new cars. The rates vary by state, and there are 2 methods used:
- Pay per kWh - some states allow reselling by kWh, and Tesla typically charges around 25 cents per kWh. Adding 100 miles range on a Model 3 should take about 25kWh, so about $6.25. The Model S is less efficient, so would take another 5-8 kWh, so would cost about $7-8.

- Per minute. There are 2 rates - above and below 60kW of Power. 26 cents above and 13 cents below seems to be a common rate, but it can vary a few cents. This is harder to calc since the car charges a lot faster at lower battery levels, but the charge rate tapers down as the battery fills. I took my charging minutes and use the higher rate to estimate ó and it still came up a lot less than I paid for the option on the S...
__________________
ZBB
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC