carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Does anyone else like the 6 gran coupe?

It's too heavy, large without being practical, overpriced and a bit over styled but I can't help staring at them when I see one. Guess the Harley Earl style of longer, lower, wider still works.

Then again, for the price I can't imagine buying one over the Tesla Model S. But when they reach 20k in a few years might fun to have one for a year maybe.

Think I need to join a "bloated cars anonymous" support group to get all of these guilty pleasures off my chest. Might not be long before I start considering Cadillacs with landau roofs...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
It's too heavy, large without being practical, overpriced and a bit over styled but I can't help staring at them when I see one. Guess the Harley Earl style of longer, lower, wider still works.

Then again, for the price I can't imagine buying one over the Tesla Model S. But when they reach 20k in a few years might fun to have one for a year maybe.

Think I need to join a "bloated cars anonymous" support group to get all of these guilty pleasures off my chest. Might not be long before I start considering Cadillacs with landau roofs...
Hah, I know what you mean - I was watching the 1973 crime thriller "The Seven Ups" the other night - lots of big GM sedans from my youth - a Pontiac Bonneville Gran Ville (destroyed in the famous chase scene), Buick Electras, Cadillacs, etc/ Made me want to just cruise in one again ...

I drove my uncle's Electra 225 back in high school in '73. It was the largest 4 door sedan body GM made. It was nicely styled, had a smooth as glass V8, steered with your fingertip and rode like a dream. It was fast too, on long drives to VT, my uncle would set the speed warning buzzer to 120MPH, and routinely hit it. That generation of buyers wanted big, smooth luxury cars - they must've felt like they were getting real value for the dollar just on the acreage alone.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
JST

Quote:

I prefer it to the 7er. From a practicality standpoint, it's hard to see buying it over an A7 (if you didn't want an EV). Can you get the 6er GC with a stick?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Can you get the 6er GC with a stick?
I think so
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I suppose I can understand the appeal, but no, it's not for me at all. I'd rather have an x5 if I'm buying something big and unwieldy to drive.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I don't think you can get it with a stick. My buddy has one and he and his family love it. But he wasn't able to get it with a manual last year.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I don't think you can get it with a stick. My buddy has one and he and his family love it. But he wasn't able to get it with a manual last year.
looks like only the M version offers a stick
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Looking at the Build Your Own site, it seems like only the M6 GC is available with a stick. Nice enough car, but $115K is the starting price. Oof.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
robg
Carmudgeon

Does anyone else like the 6 gran coupe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I prefer it to the 7er. From a practicality standpoint, it's hard to see buying it over an A7 (if you didn't want an EV). Can you get the 6er GC with a stick?
Right - the a7 is pretty nice too. Its actually a cleaner, more resolved design but somehow doesnt grab me the same way. I might just get the a6/s6/rs6.

Pretty sure only the m6 is a avail with a stick but could be wrong. Not serious enough about it to even open the bmw configurator. Anyway with a big heavy car like this I'd be fine with a good dsg or the ZF 8 speed. I've become less of a purist about manuals out of necessity.

Plus, ironically, my interest in the model s seems to have opened my mind to large, heavy but attractive cars without manual transmissions (yes I realize the model s has no trans)

Anyway I suppose by the time I'd buy a used 6gc the model e will be out.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
That's ok, I kind of like the X6 as a small guilty pleasure. Can't imagine ever owning one but I kind of dig the design.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote