carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
It is a really poor combination of starting in 2nd gear with a very soggy throttle profile that doesn't make the car move at all until you tip in juuusstt a little too far at which point it kicks down to first, and jerks off the line.
That sounds really irritating. If it could handle the torque, a CVT would allow for a much smoother launch experience.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
Alan
Carmudgeon

It is pretty amazing how one car enthusiasts outlook of a car can be so different then someone else’s.

I think my 540 is one of the best cars I’ve ever had and really love driving it. I find zero wrong with the engine or the transmission. I think the cameras are hands down the best in the industry and i currently have and also have had some good systems from the other brands to compare them to. They should not be turning off while parking I would have that car checked out.

Paying for CarPlay after the first year is a bit ridiculous and greedy but all of the brands try to get you, Audi gets you hooked on their google maps navigation display and then charges you to keep it.

I’m not defending the 540 because I have one, mine is gone back in a drop over a year and the chances are I will be considering another one.

As they say different strokes for different folks.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
That sounds really irritating. If it could handle the torque, a CVT would allow for a much smoother launch experience.
CVTs are awful.

Everyone but BMW can make the ZF8 drive well. This is a BMW specific issue.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
It is pretty amazing how one car enthusiasts outlook of a car can be so different then someone else’s.

I think my 540 is one of the best cars I’ve ever had and really love driving it. I find zero wrong with the engine or the transmission. I think the cameras are hands down the best in the industry and i currently have and also have had some good systems from the other brands to compare them to. They should not be turning off while parking I would have that car checked out.

Paying for CarPlay after the first year is a bit ridiculous and greedy but all of the brands try to get you, Audi gets you hooked on their google maps navigation display and then charges you to keep it.

I’m not defending the 540 because I have one, mine is gone back in a drop over a year and the chances are I will be considering another one.

I have no basis for comparison on the cameras. All I can say is that pulling into my garage, they provide a lot less help than you’d expect, and things look very weird through them (see the picture). And then they turned off for no reason that I could discern.

The car goes down the highway very pleasantly, but it has no steering feel at all, and it’s annoying to maneuver around the city. I kind of wonder if the 530e gets better torque fill around town? If I get bored, I might test drive one.

Edit: Audi charging for access to a service that they are providing (even if it’s a pipeline to Google) is at least justifiable. BMW charging the customer to connect their phone is insulting.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 11-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #15
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I really am becoming my parents and getting old. I don’t want or care about any of the tech except maybe a map service and phone/audio streaming. I think this is why I am still ok with my ancient car at this point. When I ever get off my ass and get my 981 I’ll probably keep it as long as I’ve had the M5. A dying connected manual car that does not bombard you with tech I will never use.

I have become the name of this site.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
CVTs are awful.
That's one opinion.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post

Somewhat related, I still can't get over how awesome my M3 is. And I get to drive a pretty sporty Miata on a regular basis. Not say it couldn't be lighter, smaller, with a bit more feel, etc. But in this day and age that a car like that was available brand new with a stick I think is great and I am very glad I got one.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
That's one opinion.
Sure, they are good in theory, but a properly configured CVT is unpleasant to live with. Which is why most of them are programmed to pretend that they are regular automatics. So you end up with the worst of both worlds.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 11-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #19
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Sure, they are good in theory, but a properly configured CVT is unpleasant to live with. Which is why most of them are programmed to pretend that they are regular automatics. So you end up with the worst of both worlds.
That doesn't describe the CVT in my Accord. I think that it's executed pretty well (i.e. doesn't do the fake shifting, and responds well to my inputs), to the point where I prefer the experience over a regular automatic. Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #20
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
That doesn't describe the CVT in my Accord. I think that it's executed pretty well (i.e. doesn't do the fake shifting, and responds well to my inputs), to the point where I prefer the experience over a regular automatic. Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.
I drove my inlaws Honda Accord and had no issue with the CVT, also had a Maxima rental car with it and found it kinda cool how when you floor it the rpms just shot up and stay there. They have really improved since they first came out.

With that said I don't know if I could live with one, I'm not saying they are bad it is just not a transmission I like but heck what do I know, I loved the R-tronic in my R8 and you couldn't possibly read about transmission with more bad reviews.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote