carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23,630
Teslonda

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ive-interview/

This intrigues me. A lot. I just read this story in the print R&T yesterday. I dreamed about it last night. While reading, I kept thinking of JV's RXMZR-8 project.

I have sadness when thinking that V-8 noises will end forever in my lifetime, but the alternative maybe isn't necessarily so bad?

I don't know, but reading that touched me in a special way some how.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 13,264
Good stuff. I have so much respect for people that have the knowledge and motivation to create mechanical things with their bare hands.

We're going to see the end of V8 noise in our lifetime, yes, for sure. Maybe even the beginning of the end of private car ownership, I think. Things are going to look pretty different 50 years from now.
ff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 7,627
Mad Max--without the gas.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ive-interview/

This intrigues me. A lot. I just read this story in the print R&T yesterday. I dreamed about it last night. While reading, I kept thinking of JV's RXMZR-8 project.

I have sadness when thinking that V-8 noises will end forever in my lifetime, but the alternative maybe isn't necessarily so bad?

I don't know, but reading that touched me in a special way some how.
This part is amazing:

"His 16-bit head shouts warnings like “critical voltage event,” and there’s a submenu that ranks the Teslonda’s best 0–60-mph times, displayed like scores in a vintage arcade cabinet. “JIM” has the top score, at 2.43 seconds."
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
This part is amazing:

"His 16-bit head shouts warnings like “critical voltage event,” and there’s a submenu that ranks the Teslonda’s best 0–60-mph times, displayed like scores in a vintage arcade cabinet. “JIM” has the top score, at 2.43 seconds."
That stuff would have been my favorite part if I wasn't already fully sucked in.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
John V
No more BMWs
 
John V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 987S, Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Location: Glenwood, MD
Posts: 12,902
That is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Would love to see someone build something like this focused on Time Attack or autocross. Seems like a perfect solution for a CONOP where you only have to run for a couple of minutes between charges.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
nate
Oh, are they?
 
nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Location: H-town
Posts: 9,014
Awesome.
__________________
"People keep saying I'm crazy as hell, but sooner or later they're going to realize I know what I'm talking about." - Charles Barkley
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
That is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Would love to see someone build something like this focused on Time Attack or autocross. Seems like a perfect solution for a CONOP where you only have to run for a couple of minutes between charges.
I'd like to be involved in building something like this, even if I don't have much to offer.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
kognito
older fart than ZBB
 
kognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On the road again
Posts: 7,618
That is pretty cool!

A little unrelated, (as they were already electric) but years ago when visiting the Greenwood Ave car show in northern Seattle, I was surprised about all the modifications folks had made to their early Tesla roadsters. There were 4-5 of them at this show with all sorts of extra inverters and batteries.

The show has many classes in the judging, including an electric class.
__________________
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
2016 Focus SE
kognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC