carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-14-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
What happens if I skip Inspection II?

My 1998 M3 is due for Inspection II. I don't feel like shelling out $700. It had inspection 1 done 10k miles ago. Do I really need them to tear everything apart again? I will get the oil changed, but other than that, I'd rather wait a while.

Any ideas what happens?
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:01 AM   #2
Roadstergal
Butting in.

The car explodes.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:05 AM   #3
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Heck, what's inspection II anyway? Visual inspection of the engine, coolant system, undercarriage, exhaust, joins along the driveshaft, change tranny and diff fluid, flush brakes, load test battery, check the rotors and brake pads and... what am I missing? I'm going to have to start learning this stuf... aranoid:
Old 10-16-2003, 03:07 AM   #4
dan
redefined

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20048
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:11 AM   #5
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Vely innnnteresting.

My archivist friend, do you have a site that tells what's in an inspection depending on the year? I don't think I believe in lifetime fluids, m'self...
Old 10-16-2003, 03:02 PM   #6
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
I found out that I don't need it for another 10k miles. At that point, I'll be out of warranty, and will likely do most of the work myself.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
I found out that I don't need it for another 10k miles. At that point, I'll be out of warranty, and will likely do most of the work myself.
For future reference, if I were going to pick a service to skip, it's be Inspection I. Inspection II is the one where they actually do some real work on the car (at least with E36s-- no longer the case with E46s). They'll change your spark plugs, tranny and dif fluid, air filter, fuel filter, etc. The Inspection I service is nothing more than a fancy oil change and overall inspection.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:51 PM   #8
SpaceMonk
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
They'll change your spark plugs, tranny and dif fluid, air filter, fuel filter, etc.
All those seem relatively not bad DIY tasks.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:10 PM   #9
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
[quote="SpaceMonk"]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
They'll change your spark plugs, tranny and dif fluid, air filter, fuel filter, etc.
All those seem relatively not bad DIY tasks.
This is true. However, I implied "skip Inspection II" to mean not having it done at all. Regardless of whether its done at a dealer, independent or DIY, it should be done. Inspection I, on the other hand, is a bunch of fluff, and if you regularly look over your car and make sure everything is working properly, you probably don't need to do it. The reason BMW calls for it is because most people DON'T have any clue about what is going on with their cars, so it's BMW's way to make sure they get their cars checked out reguarly so the vehicle doesn't crash and kill the driver, and result in law-suits.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
SpaceMonk
Jaded

Quote:
This is true. However, I implied "skip Inspection II" to mean not having it done at all. Regardless of whether its done at a dealer, independent or DIY, it should be done. Inspection I, on the other hand, is a bunch of fluff, and if you regularly look over your car and make sure everything is working properly, you probably don't need to do it. The reason BMW calls for it is because most people DON'T have any clue about what is going on with their cars, so it's BMW's way to make sure they get their cars checked out reguarly so the vehicle doesn't crash and kill the driver, and result in law-suits.
Agreed.