carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #201
JST

The Prius is the least interesting car I've ever driven. Not the worst--it didn't have enough personality for that.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #202
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The Prius is the least interesting car I've ever driven. Not the worst--it didn't have enough personality for that.
Agreed. But the turning radius was shockingly small.

I only mentioned it b/c I thought it was funny to compare it to the Tesla.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #203
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Got the car back this evening.

They replaced the charger - so it now charges (that's a good thing in an electric car...). They also did an alignment -- so the steering wheel is now centered.

They ordered a replacement interior rear view mirror, so I'll have to take it back in when that comes in. They did not fix the misaligned chrome trim -- but they are aware that its an issue and are waiting on instructions from engineering on the fix (apparently a common issue...)

They also updated the firmware to the latest release (a minor bug fix release from the one I had on the car), and they installed some retaining clips on the rear window regulators per a TSB (sounds like they are having some regulator failures - sounds eerily similar to the E46 issue). There were 2 other TSBs they checked on, but my car already had the updates from the factory.

They also provided a Tesla license plate frame -- mine didn't come with one from the factory (seems to be hit or miss). And finally, I bought a cargo net for the frunk - $20 plus tax, but no shipping (Tesla's online store has astronomical shipping charges -- $15 min...)
Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #204
ZBB
Relic

Something odd happened this morning... The passenger door handles failed to present. Drivers side were OK.

But just happened once when we were leaving the house. Worked fine ~30 min later when we got back in the car to come home.

One possible solution suggested on TMC forums was to make sure all the fuses were seated -- other owners have found that the fuses were slightly up or cockeyed. So I found the 2 main fuse boxes (under a plastic panel in the frunk) -- and sure enough, most of the fuses didn't appear to be fully seated (and not all level). I pushed them all in... hopefully that's all this was...
Old 06-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #205
JST

Serious question--who did they hire at Fremont? Was it all or mainly former NUMMI employees?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #206
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Serious question--who did they hire at Fremont? Was it all or mainly former NUMMI employees?
No idea. I'm guessing there were some former NUMMI employees though...

But many owners report odd door handle behavior. Tesla's is apparently on the 3rd generation of the door handle already.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #207
JST

That 3G thing concerns me. Not having to pay for the connection-- that's annoying but inevitable (though depending on how the plan is priced, it may make the lack of onboard nav even harder to take).

What worries me is the example of AMPS OnStar--when the analog phone networks were shut down, the OnStar units in a lot of GM cars became useless bricks. Not sure how modular/upgradeable the Tesla hardware is, but 3G is already an obsolete standard and it won't be that long (in automotive terms) before those networks go dark, too.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #208
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
That 3G thing concerns me. Not having to pay for the connection-- that's annoying but inevitable (though depending on how the plan is priced, it may make the lack of onboard nav even harder to take).

What worries me is the example of AMPS OnStar--when the analog phone networks were shut down, the OnStar units in a lot of GM cars became useless bricks. Not sure how modular/upgradeable the Tesla hardware is, but 3G is already an obsolete standard and it won't be that long (in automotive terms) before those networks go dark, too.
Good point. If they were smart, they designed the system with an upgradeable module that can just be swapped out.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #209
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:

Yep - The OnStar in our 2001 Yukon is nothing more than a couple of nice looking buttons on the dash these days. ZERO functionality.

As to the odd things going on with ZBB's Tesla... In the grand scheme of things, fairly minor teething issues - IMO.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #210
ZBB
Relic

You guys are referring to the shutdown of the 1G analog cell network...

While the Tesla currently does not have an LTE connection, keep in mind that LTE is part of the 3G standard -- an evolution for faster data speeds. Fallback to "regular" 3G data should be avail for many years...

On another topic... I did a bit of an experiment today. One of the settings on the Tesla is a "range mode" that reduces power to the HVAC system in order to help get a bit more range. On the way to work, it used 1-2 miles of range less than I'd been seeing on my commutes over the last couple weeks. On the way home, same thing. Call it 3 miles saved over just under 60 miles - so about 5%. Reduced HVAC was not noticeable in the morning -- temps were mid to upper 80s. But it was noticeable on the way home with the temp about 109 by the office and 100 when I got home -- not horribly so, but the AC compressor would kick in at a lower speed (not the fans), and also was off a bit more -- but just when you noticed it getting warm, it would kick in and cool things back down. Nice compromise. I could see this being helpful on a trip up to Flagstaff (with a ~5000 foot climb from my house)...