carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
When they offer a real engine in the Solstice, not a slightly tuned Cavalier 4, I'll be genuinely interested in it.
How is that so different from the Miata? Everyone raves about the Miata.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #12
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
How is that so different from the Miata? Everyone raves about the Miata.
i ain't raving about a miata.

that was the 'Gal.

i'm excited about the Solstice. any of you suckers on a waiting list for one?

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #13
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
i ain't raving about a miata.

that was the 'Gal.

i'm excited about the Solstice. any of you suckers on a waiting list for one?
I have to say it doesn't pique my interest very much. The styling is great, and the interior seems nice enough, and for hard-core autox junkies like clyde the suspension set up might be the hot ticket (esp. with this option package). But *every* review I've read suggests that the Miata is more fun to drive, and unless you are competing, isn't that the most important character trait in a sports car?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
I have to say it doesn't pique my interest very much. The styling is great, and the interior seems nice enough, and for hard-core autox junkies like clyde the suspension set up might be the hot ticket (esp. with this option package). But *every* review I've read suggests that the Miata is more fun to drive, and unless you are competing, isn't that the most important character trait in a sports car?
interior looks good from far but nasty up close, hard cheap plastic. guess it only matters if you are a dash stoker like me
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
But *every* review I've read suggests that the Miata is more fun to drive, and unless you are competing, isn't that the most important character trait in a sports car?

Until I have the time and money to get a car for almost exclusive autox/track work, I'd only autox/track my daily driver ocassionally and not try to be competitive but just see what it can do and have fun.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #16
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I was impressed with the interior of the Solstice at the auto show. I really liked the shifter. I have no idea how well it drives, of course.

Jeff, what are you comparing the interior materials to? For a 20k car, I thought they were pretty nice.

but I would get the Sky, assuming the eventual more highly powered engien options are available in the Saturn version. I think it looks better.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #17
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
I was impressed with the interior of the Solstice at the auto show. I really liked the shifter. I have no idea how well it drives, of course.

Jeff, what are you comparing the interior materials to? For a 20k car, I thought they were pretty nice.

but I would get the Sky, assuming the eventual more highly powered engien options are available in the Saturn version. I think it looks better.
the money down is for a Sky turbo, when available.......and as far as metrics go, they don't apply to this car stringently since it won't be driven by me but for 2 days out of the year.

but you're also correct: if the miata (the benchmark) still handles better and drives (subjectively) better, then i still have to agree to purchase that car instead.

i bet GM's ZOK package is pretty awesome, though.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg

sorry, you have a good point, not much out of sync with similarly priced cars. I dislike hard plastic dashes, even my rex has a soft one but rest of plastics are bad. Guess I was just disappointed since it look good in pictures. Rented a expedition last weekend and it has the same problem.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #19
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
sorry, you have a good point, not much out of sync with similarly priced cars. I dislike hard plastic dashes, even my rex has a soft one but rest of plastics are bad. Guess I was just disappointed since it look good in pictures. Rented a expedition last weekend and it has the same problem.
i've been in a co-worker's brand new Civic because i was extremely curious to see how that double decker IP thing works. the plastics, while better, are still dark and hard.

not much better than a new Cobalt or even that much of a step down from a brand new TSX. even the new rx330 which is supposed to be a fancy vehicle still had a lot of dark plastic everywhere.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #20
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Josh,

Take any car review with a grain of salt.

I suspect the Solstice could be made to be a bunch more fun given a little suspension tweaking beyond factory specs. More camber and less toe up front and a bit of toe tweaking out back could go a long way to making the car more fun to drive.

I think it's a shame that it came in so heavy and relatively underpowered, but it seems to outperform its spec sheet.

John
John V is offline   Reply With Quote