just out of curiosity.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #22
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
is respectable in the 20s?

just out of curiosity.
For the whole trip? Yes, mid to low 20s. On the highway it will get 27-29, though obviously less in the mountains. On our first leg back, from Cleveland to Breezewood, PA, we got 26.7. That's pretty fully laden.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #23
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
that's astonishingly good.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #24
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
For the whole trip? Yes, mid to low 20s. On the highway it will get 27-29, though obviously less in the mountains. On our first leg back, from Cleveland to Breezewood, PA, we got 26.7. That's pretty fully laden.

The last road trip I took the E90 averaged 30 MPG and that was with my foot in it.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #25
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant View Post
How would you compare the 335 to your old cts-v and e36 M3?
Compared to the V, it's a really different car. It doesn't have as much power as the V did. It doesn't sound as angry from the engine compartment (although it does sound better from the exhaust imo). The stereo in teh BMW is hands down much better. The V handled as well, I am sure, but it didn't feel like it if I remember correctly. And the car always felt big. The belt line was way high with extra sheet metal over the wheels on the front fenders, for example. The V was an amazing car, but the e90 chasis is more rigid, tighter feeling and more BMW like. Honestly, after driving the V for a couple years, getting back behind the wheel of a silky smooth in line 6 was like coming home. And the motor that gave me that feeling is two generations old with over 200k miles on it.

If my memory serves me correctly, you can feel much more through the controls of the BMW then you could of the caddy by a lot. Especially the steering. But I haven't driven a V in nearly a year, so take these impressions with a grain of salt.

The V cockpit was probably better designed, but it wasn't attractive. The current BMW cockpit is kind of boring, but once you get it over calling it buick like ( ), it's relatively simple and elegant in comparison. It's probably not as functional or driver centric.

Compared to the M3, it's flatter around corners, faster, drives more effortlessly, sounds better, has a less functional, but more comfortable cockpit, has a million times better stereo, is faster, feels like it handles better, is lots faster and its faster. Cosmetically, they are very different, but the new model shares the low sight lines the 3 series has always had (as compared to, say . . . a CTS V). The chasis shows its superiority again without even trying. Compared to the current generation, the e36 chasis pretty much feels like it is held together with band aids. On the other hand, the e90 chasis is so composed that there is much less excitement in making it perform. I flogged one pretty well today and the salesman didn't even pause in his conversation. The M is more of a beast, less luxurious, has WAY less gadgets and might be more fun to drive in a completely aggresive seat of your pants kind of way. It's hard for me to say b/c I haven't driven an M3 hard in close to four years - and that car was significantly modded. On the other hand, if you choose the 335, $1400 and a software download from Dinan gets you another 80 hp or something like that and comes with warranty coverage.

The clutch feel of the e90 is better then my current e36 - but that clutch has 200k miles on it. The clutch in the V was very light and while positive, didn't communicate as much as it could have.

I . . . uh . . . ordered a car today.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 AM   #26
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I . . . uh . . . ordered a car today.
Hmmmmm.....what'd ya get?

(I was wondering why you'd been spending so much time over at the "fest)

Seriously, congrats - can't wait to see another new car on the boards!! That's fun.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:36 AM   #27
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
yeah, well we don't have a critical mass of e90/92 owners to explore their faults here even if I would take most opinions here over any 10 over there. And I always seem to lurk in the poli sci forums in election years. It's fun to watch.

I ordered a 335i with a bunch of stuff. No nav on account of I simply cannot warm up to idrive and I can't stomach the cost of $2100 for a unit that will not work as well as my $300 Garmin. But all the packages, hd radio, ipod adapter, comfort access (yes, I am getting old, but I think it's cool) and . . . I think that's it. Monaco blue with black interior.

I have a car buying problem, no doubt. I just really, really liked driving this car and my wife discovered some safety concerns about child seats in the e36 328 that made her not want to let our kids in it. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I jumped at the chance to start considering replacements. I thought I was going to get an e46 until I ended up on test driving the e90.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:57 AM   #28
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Good deal, rwg!

I agree 100% with your assessment of the E90. It is an amazingly competent and well balanced blend of sport and luxury, and remains the litmus test for all entry level sport sedans to emulate.

Unfortunately for me, in spite of these traits it just doesn't instill me with that 'gotta have it' feeling that its 3 generation of predecessors invigorated me with. Even with a handicap of 30% less ponies I think the ZHP is more raw and fun, and when you put the subjective stamps of cosmetic appeal both exterior and interior wise, well, it's too many for me to pry me away from the E46.

However, having recently purchased a new vehicle I understand how circumstances often dictate the chariot decisions we make and in your shoes I'm sure I'd have made the exact same choice.

And I'm looking forward to your opinion on your audio choices such as HD, etc. as that is the one area I'm still undecided about if I opt for an E82.

Last edited by IndyMike; 12-28-2007 at 08:55 AM.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #29
ff

Cool, rwg. When's the expected delivery date?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #30
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
Compared to the V....
Wow, thanks for the review. I am also considering ordering a 335i (seriously this time) and this helps a lot. Are you buying or leasing? I ran the numbers on a lease yesterday and was not encouraged by the resulting payments.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote