carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-13-2022, 07:53 AM   #1371
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Well. I ran my C4S on snow tires.

It was awesome in the snow.

I would love to be back East. With snow tires. But probably not a mid engine car. The ass heavy ones, yes.
I drove my 986 through three winters, with snow tires. It was one of the best snow vehicles I've ever owned, even with an open differential.

My main issue is salt and aluminum don't get along well and it makes zero sense to drive the Cayman in the winter when I have a perfectly good beater for that.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:15 AM   #1372
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
My E46 M3 was surprisingly capable, too, with snows. That’s with an LSD, of course. But, even my vanilla E46 330i cars were decent in snow without too much topography.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #1373
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Definitely should be getting at least 30k, no?
I would think so. They look pretty good for 20k miles right now. We average a pretty steady 1k miles/month, so I think they are good for two more seasons, at which point they'd be at 35-40k miles. I can always overuse the winter tires to limp to the end of a 2nd season.

It will be around that time that I'd probably move on to a new commuter and leave the GTI for miscellaneous use within the family. If that is the case, then I'd probably just get the best A/S tires I can get for it to replace the OEM. We'll see.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #1374
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I drove my 986 through three winters, with snow tires. It was one of the best snow vehicles I've ever owned, even with an open differential.

My main issue is salt and aluminum don't get along well and it makes zero sense to drive the Cayman in the winter when I have a perfectly good beater for that.
I knew I liked you.

yeah. Now I remember.

It makes very little sense to put a car which will appreciate in value (and it will) through the rigors of the East Coast over salting and over sanding.

Not sure about that 4.0 engine, but most other Porsche engines are not protected from corrosion.

It’s almost like they want the engines to be disposable.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 03:48 PM   #1375
FC
Solving problems

Fed up with the local dealer and since I have the day off, I reached out to all dealers in New England about a BGTS. Outlook is not great.

When I did this last spring, I got a lot of non responses, a lot of 10-15k ADM + 2-5k deposits + wait a year or more.

Two dealers mentioned that once an allocation is awarded there is a $10k non-refundable deposit. Interesting, and it makes sense.

A dealer somewhat close to me said they have no allocations but also no waiting list and will call back in January to see what allocations they have.

Another said I'd be 6th and they could try to trade with another dealer. Said dealers are are asking for 4 cars back. He said that in the northeast Taycans don't do so well but they do very well in CA. It would cost $10k in ADM to get an allocation. I don't know that I am willing to pay that much.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:34 AM   #1376
JST

I don’t understand a 10K non refundable deposit on a car that’s in such short supply. Maybe if you were ordering something really weird? Or maybe a non-refundable deposit due when the freeze point is reached? But 10K just to order is silly, given that someone else will just buy the car if you bail.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #1377
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I don’t understand a 10K non refundable deposit on a car that’s in such short supply. Maybe if you were ordering something really weird? Or maybe a non-refundable deposit due when the freeze point is reached? But 10K just to order is silly, given that someone else will just buy the car if you bail.
I agree. I think they are trying to curb the speculative market.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:47 AM   #1378
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
About a year ago, I thought about ordering an I-Pace. What killed it is when the dealer told me they wanted a 5k non refundable deposit. I mean at that point, whats your recourse? They could choose to sell your car to someone else and claim "supply chain issues" or they could just decide to charge you even more when the car actually arrives. Just seemed ridiculous and something i couldn't agree to for any car. Essentially they've made almost the same amount of profit at that point as if they actually delivered the car so they dont have much motivation either.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #1379
FC
Solving problems

Starting to wonder if I should just pay the 10k and get the car, assuming it’s as simple as that. Maybe I’ll be that desperate in a few more months.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:54 PM   #1380
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Starting to wonder if I should just pay the 10k and get the car, assuming it’s as simple as that. Maybe I’ll be that desperate in a few more months.
Can you not shop it out of your area?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote