carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-05-2024, 12:01 PM   #31
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Something else to keep in mind in addition to what I have previously mentioned. I believe a lot of individuals are scrambling for a 992.1 as the .2's will probably have another decent price increase. PAG has been fairly vocal that another round of price increases will be coming.
Interesting. Despite what seemed like steep increases over the past couple years, my recollection is that they basically matched inflation. (just did a quick calc and used the base 911 as an example. 97k base in 2020 and 114k today which is bang on what the CPI calculator says it should be). So if history is any predictor, I'd expect a 3% increase to match inflation. I think the combo of high inflation and the >100k price points of 911s has made the nominal dollar amounts of the last few increases seem somewhat eye-popping.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:46 PM   #32
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Interesting. Despite what seemed like steep increases over the past couple years, my recollection is that they basically matched inflation. (just did a quick calc and used the base 911 as an example. 97k base in 2020 and 114k today which is bang on what the CPI calculator says it should be). So if history is any predictor, I'd expect a 3% increase to match inflation. I think the combo of high inflation and the >100k price points of 911s has made the nominal dollar amounts of the last few increases seem somewhat eye-popping.
My friend that is a Porsche factory technician at the PCNA service center in Atlanta has stated that a large part of what they are doing is to move Porsche upmarket, more boutique, like Ferrari.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:50 PM   #33
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
My friend that is a Porsche factory technician at the PCNA service center in Atlanta has stated that a large part of what they are doing is to move Porsche upmarket, more boutique, like Ferrari.

Yikes - ok. Hard to fault them for trying when some dealers are able to make 50-100k over sticker on certain models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:13 PM   #34
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Gotcha- makes sense. My guess is that some of the opportunties that have seemed to come up (as reported by several people here) to seemingly snag last minute 992.1 allocations could be due to other customers on the waitlist forgoing that chance and deciding to wait for a 992.2.
It’s complicated.

It might be some people skipping because of various reasons.

But another reason is a dealer reserves the right to give the allocation to other people if you’re a pompous jackass.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:19 PM   #35
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

But another reason is a dealer reserves the right to give the allocation to other people if you’re a pompous jackass.
I don’t the that’s the reason they give it to someone else judging by my local dealer, I think it’s more of a greed thing where they can snag an ADM and get a Porsche trade in so they can be more greedy … but there will be those of us that remember and when things cool down and they always do they will pay the price for it.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:32 PM   #36
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
It’s complicated.

It might be some people skipping because of various reasons.

Yep, I totally agree with this…

As previously mentioned, my dealer has never charged an ADM on anything during this whole Covid ordeal, not even on GT cars and they are willing to sell out of state to the right people, to lemming’s point so long as they are not a “pompous jackass.” Their third, customer ordered GT3 RS recently went to a customer in Minnesota.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:42 PM   #37
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yep, I totally agree with this…

As previously mentioned, my dealer has never charged an ADM on anything during this whole Covid ordeal, not even on GT cars and they are willing to sell out of state to the right people, to lemming’s point so long as they are not a “pompous jackass.” Their third, customer ordered GT3 RS recently went to a customer in Minnesota.
Are they really sharing that information with you ? Dealers are now judging your personality and if they don’t like your personality they won’t sell you a car ?
Old 01-06-2024, 12:03 AM   #38
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Are they really sharing that information with you ? Dealers are now judging your personality and if they don’t like your personality they won’t sell you a car ?
First off lemming was the one that initially stated the comment, I only agreed.

Re being judged by your personality, why not? Rolex ADs have been using this business tactic for years… It is becoming more common in a post-COVID world. Hell, we had Acura dealers doing it when the first gen NSX launched in the early 90s. American Honda had to reel some dealers in and set them straight.

As stated, allegedly Porsche is attempting to be more boutique like, i.e. Ferrari. Have you set foot in Ferrari dealership recently? I have, a few actually… one is instantly judged as soon as you enter the building. A personality examination follows.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:09 AM   #39
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
First off lemming was the one that initially stated the comment, I only agreed.

Re being judged by your personality, why not? Rolex ADs have been using this business tactic for years… It is becoming more common in a post-COVID world. Hell, we had Acura dealers doing it when the first gen NSX launched in the early 90s. American Honda had to reel some dealers in and set them straight.

As stated, allegedly Porsche is attempting to be more boutique like, i.e. Ferrari. Have you set foot in Ferrari dealership recently? I have, a few actually… one is instantly judged as soon as you enter the building. A personality examination follows.
Interesting comment about the NSX in the 90’s, I do remember going to an Acura dealer back in the day when my Dad purchased his 92 NSX and I remember one salesman being a bit of an Asshole and we walked out and went to another dealer.

I have not stepped foot in pretty much any car dealership except for service in years and my last time in a Ferrari dealership was back in December of 2020 and they were really nice then but with that said my friend who is a serial car buyer and is one of those Ferrari guys who gets a new one every 6 months is probably the snottiest assholes a person can meet and they still sell him a car on a regular basis but that is a whole story in itself as he has to give them the car back when they call him and he seems to follow the protocol.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:55 AM   #40
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
They’re always judging. That’s their job. To some extent. But it’s not superficial. They’re looking for tells.

What I’m alluding to is when a customer comes across a certain way. Let’s say, to get an allocation. But at their heart, turns out they’re really a jerk. And they are disrespectful. And don’t follow through on things.

A dealer will probably give anyone a shot. But with allocations so hard to come by, if you don’t play nice, they can drop you quickly.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote