carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
JST

Thoughts from NAIAS

I made it out to the Detroit Auto Show this past weekend, for the first time in a couple of years. It's been obsessively covered elsewhere, so I won't try to be comprehensive (and besides, with a 4 year old my show tour was necessarily abbreviated), but here are some random musings:

The show itself is back to what it was before; I know the past couple of years have been rough, but in terms of energy and enthusiasm it was largely indistinguishable from the (pre-Carpocalypse) 2008 show.

Perhaps as a result, neon colors were very prevalent around the show. From the fluorescent highlighter green SLS to the orange Focus, chartreuse C-Max, and orange M coupe, it was a very bright show.

Ford had the best display of the show, both in terms of layout and in terms of product. They had a great mix of proletarian (C-Max, new Focus, new F-150) and performance (5.0L and Boss Mustangs, Focus ST, Raptor). Wisely, Ford also had a bunch of stuff designed to keep kids entertained. Keeping kids entertained = keeping parents in your display, looking at your products. No one else did this nearly as well, though my daughter did strike up a lengthy conversation with a model in the Chrysler area.

BMW's display gets the Epic Fail award for ditching the hospitality/owner's lounge area. Seriously, WTF? The spokespeople said it cost $3K/day to host that, but that seems like chump change given what automakers spend on these displays. Also, KIA had one. KIA.

As far as product, no big surprises. The M coupe was the highlight of the display (and I think the only M car there). In person it looks great, especially in orange. The contrasting stitching inside is striking. The shifter felt oddly sloppy and long, especially compared to the shifter in the 5.0L Mustang (which is revelatory in its feel), but its hard to form many impressions in a static auto show display car.

The red Audi S4 won the prize for the "car I am most realistically interested in." The rest of the Audi display was mainly silver cars that all kind of looked the same, except for the R8s. As a buddy of mine said, if Audi had balls their slogan would be "Audi. It's Perfectly Fine."

Someone put the Maybach right next to an Accord, which was oddly fitting.

The Fiat/Chrysler display occupied the center of the show. The 500 was by far the most interesting product on display (other than my daughter's interlocutor, see supra). I suspect that they will sell a lot of those.

Tesla had a real chassis for the Model S on display. It looked impressive, though it was literally just the body in white.

Cadillac showed off the CTS-V in a variety of flavors, but these days Cadillac is basically just the CTS and new SRX, so their stand didn't have much depth.

The Volt is a real car, and has nearly as much interior room as the Prius. I saw three truckloads of them on I-94 on the way in, too, which was interesting.

The Chinese maker BYD was on the main floor this year, and their display was very much like their cars...from a distance it looked fine, but when you got close something just seemed a little off. The BYD product portfolio appears to consist of line-for-line ripoffs of last generation Toyota Corollas and RX350s.

As always, lunch at Lafayette Coney Island was the highlight of the day.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Cool... I'm beginning to warm up to the orange on the 1M, given that no blue, silver or gray are offered. Could own one one day, though realistically I don't want it badly enough to fork over $50k.

As I've posted before, I think the s4 is worth every penny at $50k. Then again I'm an awd user/abuser. Great in red...
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
being freed up to buy again soon, i'd be stupid if i didn't take a long and hard look at the mustang since i've really liked it since the 2010 refresh......

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The Volt is a real car, and has nearly as much interior room as the Prius. I saw three truckloads of them on I-94 on the way in, too, which was interesting.
I have been seeing 2-3 a week on the road since thanksgiving. And I don't get out much.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I find it extremely curious that as much as JST obsesses over praising all manner of Ford products, he doesn't buy them.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I find it extremely curious that as much as JST obsesses over praising all manner of Ford products, he doesn't buy them.
Yeah, it's weird. But, in my defense, everyone in our group (including those without the obsessive devotion to Ford that I have) agreed that Ford had the best display.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Thanks for the writeup!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, it's weird. But, in my defense, everyone in our group (including those without the obsessive devotion to Ford that I have) agreed that Ford had the best display.
All of the articles related to the displays on Automotive News agree with you. The automakers typically have to commit to how much show space they want well in advance, and therefore the planning for this show started during the meltdown. Apparently many of them pulled back because they were not sure if sales would have recovered (or in the case of GM/Chrysler, unsure if they'd even be in business). Ford had the most positive outlook for the future and took a risk, but everyone is saying it paid off.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Also, you should try the new shifter in the 5.0L. After decades of using variants of that horrible Tremec, which felt like something lifted out of a UPS truck, the new transmission is insanely better. I haven't driven one yet, and it's not like it's quite to the level of an S2K/Miata, but it's an amazing difference.

On the downside, the Mustang continues to soldier on with seats that really aren't up to the task, and despite improvements in materials the interior continues to be too small for a car this big, especially in the back seat.

As far as buying a Ford goes, I'd have been at the dealership with a check in my hand if the Focus ST were available, especially in that orange.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

This year has motivated me to get back to doing the annual trek again.

And that hot dog joint was awesome.

Alex