carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #241
JST

Electrify America dropping CHAdeMO support, gradually:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41735/...al-for-old-evs

This isn't a surprise; as the article notes, the industry (other than Tesla) seems to be coalescing around the CCS standard.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #242
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
For number 1 you can go to manage devices (or it says something similar to that) and switch it back to BMW if I remember correctly for idrive 6

For our BMW's they all have idrive 7 and getting car play is super easy plus the screens are bigger and they are full screen so it is an easier and a better set up.

As far as the $300 a year, that was very disturbing, right before my previous 5er came due for that charge BMW stopped doing it a month before, I would have paid it but am happy they stopped it.

Also one quick thing you might or might not know, one quick press of the talk button on the steering wheel gets you BMW, one long press gets you Siri.
All good to know. Thanks!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:47 AM   #243
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Electrify America dropping CHAdeMO support, gradually:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41735/...al-for-old-evs

This isn't a surprise; as the article notes, the industry (other than Tesla) seems to be coalescing around the CCS standard.
I’m sure they will leave the existing ones in place for a while. But I’m not surprised. Just wonder when Nissan will change the Leaf to CCS?

Having used CHAdeMO (via the Tesla Adapter)… it sucks. Super heavy and very large connector (the connector and cable easily weigh 10lbs).
Old 08-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #244
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
We spent the last 2 weeks on a road trip from Houston to Boise to visit my mom. Visited another 19 Superchargers during the trip. Below is a map of the 173 Superchargers we've visited over the last 7 years (there's a friendly competition of Superchargers visited over at TMC, and a couple of the competitors built a Google Sheet to track visits and then built some Tableau map visualizations from that data...).

Interestingly, we have now visited all 7 Superchargers in Idaho!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Competitor maps visited.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	13665  
Old 08-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #245
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
We spent the last 2 weeks on a road trip from Houston to Boise to visit my mom. Visited another 19 Superchargers during the trip. Below is a map of the 173 Superchargers we've visited over the last 7 years (there's a friendly competition of Superchargers visited over at TMC, and a couple of the competitors built a Google Sheet to track visits and then built some Tableau map visualizations from that data...).

Interestingly, we have now visited all 7 Superchargers in Idaho!
I like maps like that.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:21 PM   #246
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So, a few things:

1) Cars should have fucking full size spares, what is this bullshit;
2) All of the time and effort I've gone to sourcing space saver wheels is totally vindicated;
3) Driving a car that takes a weird, hard to find tire is a bit of a dice roll; and
4) Tesla actually did a really nice job turning this from a huge negative experience into one that was quite positive, all things considered.
1) & 2) Over the years, it seems like you have had worse luck with this than pretty much anyone I know. And not just a little, like far worse. Given my car's dimensions, tire sizes, and the fact that there is no practical way to fit a full size spare, I'm okay without it (and if it did have a full size spare, would it be a full size front or a full size rear?). If we piece together everything in your story, I'm not sure it's as vindicating as you think. It let you quickly change to the spare and continue on your way in a hobbled state without calling and waiting for roadside assistance. How hobbled was that state? Enough so that you had to do a bunch of farting around, calling here, there, looking stuff up on websites, and then, ultimately, take time out of your time with friends to travel from Manhattan to Brooklyn, wait, and then back to Manhattan(? or not? sequencing wasn't clear). I can see how people may differ on whether they think that's a win over initially waiting for roadside assistance. I guess.

3) In a pinch, any tire that fits will work. That said, we are in the midst of a legit tire shortage. Hopefully worldwide production picks up and shipping gets back in sync soon. Not sure it looks like that is going to happen, though. (Anyone thinking they'll want to buy winter tires this winter, I'd recommend ordering early.)

4) Sounds like they made you jump through a bunch of hoops, refuse to take no for an answer, keep asking, and stress you out in a major way before they eventually agreed to help you...with conditions. I mean, it's nice that they finished by doing what they should have done to begin with. I just wish they had done the right thing to begin with.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #247
JST

I’m deleting the prior post because I’m frankly exhausted with talking about Tesla here. It was a mistake to post it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #248
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I really don’t like that my 2 does not have a spare of any kind. Nor does it even have the vestigial tire well like my M3 did. I was able to cobble together a donut for it and strap it all down, without sacrificing the trunk to it.

It’s part of the reason I bought the Mazda. I don’t have a lot of confidence in far flung trips in the 2, especially where there’s no cell service.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #249
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm probably screwing myself here by posting this, but I've gotten four flat tires in the entire time I've been driving. Twice while towing a trailer (neither trailer was one I owned for what that's worth). Once in my E36 M3, which had a spare. Once on my Triumph, which obviously didn't.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #250
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm probably screwing myself here by posting this, but I've gotten four flat tires in the entire time I've been driving. Twice while towing a trailer (neither trailer was one I owned for what that's worth). Once in my E36 M3, which had a spare. Once on my Triumph, which obviously didn't.
Knock wood. I mostly get the slow leak kind. But have had them multiple times. Usually due to a nail or screw. And nearly always in a run flat, oddly.

I had one true flat tire that had to be changed. In my Honda hatchback.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote