carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #11
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
The new gen boxster has more interior room which was my biggest problem with the old boxster ...

The convertible versus non convertible is really the only difference like you guys said so I guess the only thing that matters is finding either one at the right price with the right mileage ...

Is there really any other difference ? I haven't really read up on the Porsches since I had the last one but if I recall I thought the Cayman had a better engine and might have been a better handler
Just going by what I think I might remember reading . . .

The Caymen supposedly sloted into the Porsche line up between the Boxster and the 911 in price and power. Suppsedly, also is that the Cayman is supposed to handle better than the 911 due to it's mid-engine layout but be stiffer than the Boxster because of the fixed roof. Weight wise I think it's about on-par with a Boxster; going with a fixed roof and junking the convertible top mechanism didn't save as much weight as people were speculating.

I would further imagine the Cayman will be a quieter car than the Boxster with it's top up due to the fixed roof nature of the Cayman.

If numbers are your thing:

Cayman S
3.4L 6 cyl.
295 hp @ 6250 rpm
250 lb-tf @ 4400 rpm

2976 lb. curb weight

0-60 = 5.0 sec

Boxster S ('05)
3.2L 6 cyl.
280 hp @ 6200 rpm
236 lb-tf @ 4200 rpm

2987 lb. curb weight

0-60 = ???

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I don't know, it's still pretty cramped - the cockpit and seats are too narrow.
Maybe if you're fat...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #13
FT@SGP
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987-120, 645
I highly doubt you will feel the difference in power during daily driving between Boxster and the CS. You already have fixed roof car, if you don't plan on tracking the P-car, get the Boxster; convertible and about $5-6K cheaper, may be even more in the used car market.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT@SGP View Post
I highly doubt you will feel the difference in power during daily driving between Boxster and the CS. You already have fixed roof car, if you don't plan on tracking the P-car, get the Boxster; convertible and about $5-6K cheaper, may be even more in the used car market.
That's my thinking. When I get one, it won't be a DD, and since I won't track it much, I might as well get the cheaper drop top.

As far as costs, I still don't understand the 987/X used car market. Sure, '05 "S" 987's optioned to $65-70K are selling for 50-55k and that is savings, but if you want and spec a low-option new car and get a modest deal, you can easily be in the 50's. Considering I hear of 10% discounts on leftover new models, I can't imagine paying anywhere close to asking prices. Plus, it seems none of the cars out there are optioned with my two simple requests: Sport seats ($760)and steering wheel ($250).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
While I understand that thinking - and got extremely close to a BoxS last summer, it's not so simple. If you & your passenger are not 'vert people, if you get wiped out by sun quickly, the CS is the better choice. Even when not on a track, the car is way more solid over bumps, better on the hwy, is a fresh design, and has lots more room for stuff behind you.

If you're into 'verts, well...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #16
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
While I understand that thinking - and got extremely close to a BoxS last summer, it's not so simple. If you & your passenger are not 'vert people, if you get wiped out by sun quickly, the CS is the better choice. Even when not on a track, the car is way more solid over bumps, better on the hwy, is a fresh design, and has lots more room for stuff behind you.

If you're into 'verts, well...
I don't know if I am ...yet. But when possible, I drop all windows and open my sunroof, so I think I would enjoy the open air feel.

But of course, if you know you are/aren't a 'vert person, then the choice is easy.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Maybe if you're fat...
Have you seen most americans?

I'm not fat, but in my test drive of an 06, I couldn't help but wonder how the typical demographic who'd buy these cars new, i.e., aging baby boomers, could fit in them.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I don't know if I am ...yet. But when possible, I drop all windows and open my sunroof, so I think I would enjoy the open air feel.

But of course, if you know you are/aren't a 'vert person, then the choice is easy.
The tough part is knowing whether you are or you aren't. I bashed convertibles for years - it wasn't until I spent some time with one that I learned I was wrong. Now that the Boxster gets the 3.4L motor, I think it would be hard for me to pick the Cayman.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #19
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Now that the Boxster gets the 3.4L motor, I think it would be hard for me to pick the Cayman.
That's exactly it. If I go for an '07+, it would likely be a Boxster. The way it looks right now, I may end up getting a leftover '08 which should also have the facelift.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
The tough part is knowing whether you are or you aren't. I bashed convertibles for years - it wasn't until I spent some time with one that I learned I was wrong. Now that the Boxster gets the 3.4L motor, I think it would be hard for me to pick the Cayman.
Same here, but today's 'verts are miles better than the old ones......

What a pleasure too, my wife and I spent yesterday driving through the Litchfield hills, top down, 74 degrees - pure nirvana

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote