carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,184
Fil’s next car

I thought I had a thread on this but guess it was buried in a few other topics.

So my lease on the 550 technically ended in July. I did a 2 month extension through September, and then w/ drama on house I’ve been able to get 2 more months out of BMW. I might be able to get another month if needed but assuming I’ll be replacing the car later this month.

I was originally thinking of a M550 but we’ve decided a little more space would be helpful after countless times of trying to stuff the car full of crap this year. Last month my plan was to score a crazy deal on a leftover 2019 X5 50i. At the time 2019 leases were stronger than 2020. This month BMW has the same programs on 2020 and 2019 models, and remaining 2019 inventory is pretty “meh” so I’ve talked myself into a 2020 X5 M50i. A few extra M badges has to make it better, right?

What is “new” to me this year is the leasehackr forum. The traditional BMW forums don’t seem to be the wealth of info they once were. But there is a ton of great info on leases on leasehackr, and I’ve been shocked by how aggressive dealers are these days. In my prior life, “invoice” was a really strong deal. Today, a good deal on a new BMW is generally 10%++ below MSRP before incentives.

X5 leases are not as strong as the 5-series (higher demand means less need for subsidized residuals) but with the discounts I’m seeing I think I can still score a ~1% payment.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 7,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I thought I had a thread on this but guess it was buried in a few other topics.

So my lease on the 550 technically ended in July. I did a 2 month extension through September, and then w/ drama on house I’ve been able to get 2 more months out of BMW. I might be able to get another month if needed but assuming I’ll be replacing the car later this month.

I was originally thinking of a M550 but we’ve decided a little more space would be helpful after countless times of trying to stuff the car full of crap this year. Last month my plan was to score a crazy deal on a leftover 2019 X5 50i. At the time 2019 leases were stronger than 2020. This month BMW has the same programs on 2020 and 2019 models, and remaining 2019 inventory is pretty “meh” so I’ve talked myself into a 2020 X5 M50i. A few extra M badges has to make it better, right?

What is “new” to me this year is the leasehackr forum. The traditional BMW forums don’t seem to be the wealth of info they once were. But there is a ton of great info on leases on leasehackr, and I’ve been shocked by how aggressive dealers are these days. In my prior life, “invoice” was a really strong deal. Today, a good deal on a new BMW is generally 10%++ below MSRP before incentives.

X5 leases are not as strong as the 5-series (higher demand means less need for subsidized residuals) but with the discounts I’m seeing I think I can still score a ~1% payment.
Nice!
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Alan
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,773
I really like the new X5, I think they did a great job on it plus I think you’re going to love the new technology in it. Also it is really cool you went with the big engine, that car is going to be really fast and it is really rare to see one.

Just wondering what type of car does your spouse drive ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I really like the new X5, I think they did a great job on it plus I think you’re going to love the new technology in it. Also it is really cool you went with the big engine, that car is going to be really fast and it is really rare to see one.



Just wondering what type of car does your spouse drive ?


Yea, we’ve driven a few of them and I really like the new tech. I’m a big fan of the turbo 6 cylinder in general but it just feels like the X5 is carrying too much weight for that engine.

Right now we only have one car, we live in the city and walk to work. We work in the same building so we’ll commute in together once we move. We need to get 2nd car after but still trying to figure out what exactly we need - going to hold off on that a little bit.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 7,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Yea, we’ve driven a few of them and I really like the new tech. I’m a big fan of the turbo 6 cylinder in general but it just feels like the X5 is carrying too much weight for that engine
Agreed
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
robg
Crotchety
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,397
A 2020 X5 M50i would be sweet! Yeah, it's crazy how competitive the BMW lease scene is these days.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
John V
No more BMWs
 
John V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 987S, Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Location: Glenwood, MD
Posts: 12,948
Congrats. I am told these drive really well but I cannot get past the front end. What were they thinking with the grille?!

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 7,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Congrats. I am told these drive really well but I cannot get past the front end. What were they thinking with the grille?!

Possibly the best and only reason to get the car in black...
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 AM   #9
SARAFIL
I like BMWs
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Congrats. I am told these drive really well but I cannot get past the front end. What were they thinking with the grille?!



I actually don’t mind the grille on the X5. The proportions of headlight-to-grille look much better on the X5 (in my opinion) than the X7 or 2020 7-series, both of those look like they have too much grille.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Nappa Leather
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,926


Agreed. The X5 looks normal compared to this thing.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC