carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #21
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Well, the Porsches. The R8 is nice enough. I like the GT a lot; the NSX both old and new are ok.

I like the Huracan.

Okay fine.

Can’t argue with those.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:30 AM   #22
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Given that you own a Tesla 3, which is....subjectively challenging to look at, what mid engine car suits your eye?

I’m curious because I find most of them to be challenging.

(Except for the Porsche models)

The model 3 actually looks to me like something Porsche might design. I do appreciate how “clean” it is with very little ornamentation. Makes you realize how much styling gingerbread is on most modern cars.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:37 AM   #23
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
You like the NSX? That, to me, is a newer car that is kind of a mess from a styling perspective. But that's sort of Honda's thing.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #24
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The model 3 actually looks to me like something Porsche might design. I do appreciate how “clean” it is with very little ornamentation. Makes you realize how much styling gingerbread is on most modern cars.

I know that styling and exhaust note are really subjective (which was JST’s point).

I think Ferrari has become soulless and the Italian equivalent of a Honda Civic Si —too fussy. I’m not a super fan of Lambo either. There’s something weird and soft about the McLarens. Love the Ford GT. Probably my favorite super car right now for looks.

I don’t think there’s a better looking car right now than the 718. It’s clean and classic looking. Less strakes and louvers than the BMW M standard these days.

The C8 reminds me more of design elements I like in the Acura NSX of the 90s. It speaks to me.

I also think the American V8 sound is intoxicating. It trumps the high pitched overly echo-y Ferrari sound to my ears.

That written I haven’t driven this car. I worry about the steering feel and the sheer size of this thing. I hate the new 911 size and this is likely bigger.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #25
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I know that styling and exhaust note are really subjective (which was JST’s point).

I think Ferrari has become soulless and the Italian equivalent of a Honda Civic Si —too fussy. I’m not a super fan of Lambo either. There’s something weird and soft about the McLarens. Love the Ford GT. Probably my favorite super car right now for looks.

I don’t think there’s a better looking car right now than the 718. It’s clean and classic looking. Less strakes and louvers than the BMW M standard these days.

The C8 reminds me more of design elements I like in the Acura NSX of the 90s. It speaks to me.

I also think the American V8 sound is intoxicating. It trumps the high pitched overly echo-y Ferrari sound to my ears.

That written I haven’t driven this car. I worry about the steering feel and the sheer size of this thing. I hate the new 911 size and this is likely bigger.
I agree about the 718. Best looking Boxster so far.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #26
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Well, the Porsches. The R8 is nice enough. I like the GT a lot; the NSX both old and new are ok.

I LOVE the Huracan.
FIXED
Old 07-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #27
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I agree about the 718. Best looking Boxster so far.
Besides the head and tail lights what looks wise is so different.

Btw I wish those two items where interchangeable with the 981. ESP the taillights. The are worlds better on the 718.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

So who's going to be the first...

Quote:

Totally agree on American v8s. I rented a Ford Mustang GT convertible this past weekend and the sound alone made me happy. Previously I’ve rented Charger RTs a few times that have also put a smile on my face. Not sure why I’m only now appreciating American v8s at 45. Only downside is that I got around 12 mpg in both cars because I loved hearing the sound when accelerating.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #29
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Quote:
Totally agree on American v8s. I rented a Ford Mustang GT convertible this past weekend and the sound alone made me happy. Previously I’ve rented Charger RTs a few times that have also put a smile on my face. Not sure why I’m only now appreciating American v8s at 45. Only downside is that I got around 12 mpg in both cars because I loved hearing the sound when accelerating.
I was in high school in the early 80’s and muscle cars were dirt cheap. I had three in a row. 70 charger 383, 71 GTO 400 and a 69 383 roadrunner.

The V8 sound of my youth will always be part of me and make me smile. Sound and gear rowing is what I grew up with and will always be hard to let go. #NoTeslaForMe
Old 07-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #30
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Totally agree on American v8s. I rented a Ford Mustang GT convertible this past weekend and the sound alone made me happy. .

That is pretty cool ... where can you rent one of these ? Was this outside of NY ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote