Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

View Poll Results: Would you ride in the robotaxi
Hell Yes 1 8.33%
Hell No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #101
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I wonder which is safer? Robotaxi or driven by rats?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/us/ra...zappwN3L_FglMc
Old 10-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #102
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I was going to post that same comment here.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #103
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I saw a video about this this afternoon. The video stated that the rats are rewarded with a Fruit Loop when they drive the route correctly.

Every car should have this option
Old 12-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #104
rumatt
Mugwump

Tesla on Autopilot slams into police cruiser, driver claims he was checking on his dog
https://abcnews.go.com/US/tesla-auto...ry?id=67570199
Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #105
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Tesla on Autopilot slams into police cruiser, driver claims he was checking on his dog
https://abcnews.go.com/US/tesla-auto...ry?id=67570199
Oh, that wasn't you?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #106
rumatt
Mugwump

I wouldn't be caught dead driving a white car
Old 12-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #107
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Autopilot... I'm not absolving the driver of blame but he clearly needs to go after Tesla. You cannot release this as an awesome cutting edge driving aid and then disclaim away with a footnote.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #108
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Autopilot... I'm not absolving the driver of blame but he clearly needs to go after Tesla. You cannot release this as an awesome cutting edge driving aid and then disclaim away with a footnote.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Disagree strongly. First a nitpick, the "you must pay attention at all times" is not a footnote. It's everywhere. Including nagging while driving.

But more importantly, if you're making the argument that we shouldn't let people have things that can be misused.. then I say lol because we do this all the time already.

For example: why is it legal for teenagers to drive high HP sports cars? We take vehicles designed from that ground up to for racing, capable of crushing speed limits and traffic laws, and place them in the hands of inexperienced children. Why? Because it's fun I guess. A kid wants what a kid wants, so screw the consequences? He needs to learn to be responsible somehow?

If we're going to remove liability from people and place it on the manufacturer of the devices they use when being irresponsible, let's do it across the board. But this is a big board, a slippery slope to go down.

Reality check: current vehicle laws absolutely do not adhere to the premise "if it increases risk even slightly it is illegal". There's all sorts of shit that potentially decreases safety but is still legal. When something is bad enough, yes we outlaw it. But until then we write it off as the cost of luxury and convenience.

Then add in that we don't know if driver assist actually decreased overall safety, or increases it. This makes it even harder to make a case that it's worse than a lot of other shit that is legal.

For the record, if this were actually a self driving vehicle (or even this summon nonsense) then I agree with you 100%.

Last edited by rumatt; 12-08-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #109
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Disagree strongly.
I also disagree. This is 100% the fault of the person behind the wheel.

As Matt said, autopilot gives nags very frequently -- and not just the same one. Before using AP, you have to turn the feature on in settings, which does have a paragraph you must agree to -- sure this is fine print, but its not hard to read a couple sentences and think through the consequences.

When initiate AP (each time...) -- it states to keep hands on the wheel and to pay attention. If you let go of the wheel for more than a few seconds or just reduce pressure on the wheel with your hands still on the wheel, the screen will start to flash blue -- getting stronger over time. Applying pressure to the wheel will make the blue go away. If you don't you will get audible alerts, and the car will pull over to a stop (with hazards flashing) after about a minute (which is why those videos showing someone asleep at the wheel are all fake)...

We just did a ~2k mile road trip down to Orlando for Thanksgiving. All my highway driving had Autopilot activated. It was fantastic. My car has the "Navigate on Autopilot" feature, where the car automatically makes lane changes to get around traffic -- and it did an amazing job. Every once in a while, I'd initiate the lane change myself, but about half the time I did that, the car would make the "bong" sound notifying me it was doing a lane change a split second before I tapped the turn signal! But having the car handle all the lane keeping and curves was fantastic. We were driving through moderately heavy rain at the start of the trip, and that was the only time that the Navigate on Autopilot features were not avail (or would come and go) -- but the regular Autopilot (lane keeping and speed control) still worked. Over the entire trip, there were only 1-2 times where I had to take over control from the car -- one was where I had to break due to a semi cutting us off and almost hitting the front of the car (I'm sure the car would have done the same thing, I just hit the brake first...)
Old 12-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #110
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:

For example: why is it legal for teenagers to drive high HP sports cars?
Is your argument that because certain really dangerous things are legal, that other really dangerous things should also be legal? I just want to be sure I understand.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote