carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #311
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

I blew the motor up at Nats. Wasn't too surprising.
Ugh, I read a facebook post that it was the trans, not the motor.

Trans would have sucked, motor really sucks
Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #312
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post

Oh. Uh. I blew up the trans, too.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #313
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I blew the motor up at Nats. Wasn't too surprising.

I missed this entirely. UGH!!!
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #314
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post

It's JV's story to tell, but it was an impressive effort that taught me a lot.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #315
John V
No more BMWs

Here is my post from FB. I can upload the pictures later.

I have the best friends.

So on Friday I had a bit of a drivetrain problem in Lincoln during the SCCA ProSolo Finale practice starts. The output shaft on the RX-8's transmission let go during a burnout attempt. I kind of figured I was done for the Pro (at the least), because I left my spare transmission in Maryland in my rush to get packed after a busy week of work.

Jake Hamfist was on the phone with Carter Thompson as he helped me push the car back to grid, thinking Carter might know of someone with a trans. Those two connected me with James Lockard in Omaha, who met me at his place early Saturday morning before competition and gave me the trans, no questions asked, saying we'd figure out compensation later. Meanwhile Lee Piccione volunteers to bring my spare on his way out from Maryland to exchange with James, but won't be here until Sunday. Sam Strano offers up his car to run on an SSM index, and of course won't let me pay him for it. Jay Bullington offers his car. Erik Strelnieks offers his car, and tries to source a backup trans as well.

I got back to the site Saturday morning with just enough time to check in and go work my assignment. After finishing that I'm a little panicked, because I have maybe an hour to get the transmission in if I'm going to run the morning session. I assume we're not going to make it but when I got back to the car I found a small army waiting for me. Kirk Boston and Clyde Caplan and Sam swapped the trans mounts over and prepared to shorten the input shaft of the gearbox and are there to grab parts and tools. Marisa went to the auto parts store, got gear oil and a pump, and brake fluid to bleed the clutch. And Greg McCance... Greg has never worked on an RX-8 with a four cylinder and an FD trans, but nevertheless figures Saturday morning is a good a time as any to cover his clothes in gear oil, and helps me bench it into place (it isn't light) and get it lined up... which took me the better part of 20 minutes the last time I did this (on a lift). Peter Florance was somehow able to work under these conditions and pumped the clutch while I bled the slave from underneath. We drop the car down and I book it over to grid to see if I've got a chance of running.

I got to grid with maybe ten minutes to spare. Covered in gear oil and not remotely mentally prepared to go attack the course, but with a running car. The car ran great. I drove poorly in the morning, but managed to snag a second place finish in a tough class with some relatively quick runs on day two. Way off the pace from Craig Wilcox, and only in second by virtue of some fast dudes having cone and red light problems (Randall and Eric Anderson) but it is what it is.

I never asked anything from these folks. They all just jumped in to help because they're great people and there's no way it would have gotten done without them. I'm sorry for the long post, but I just had to share.

I have the best friends.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #316
ff

So cool. This is what I miss about living "up north". People have each other's backs, and will step in and help out in any way they can. No questions asked.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #317
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I'm glad you had a memorable and successful trip to Nebraska with the RX-8! It's been cool watching this car come together and apart and back together.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #318
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I had seen that.

Still missed the motor blowing up part?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #319
John V
No more BMWs

Oh.

So the back story is this engine had a really rough life with me. Very early on I had a bad calibration for the coolant temp sensor and I inadvertently overheated it several times as a result. After that, it saw a couple of crazy boost spikes (higher than my MAP sensor would read, so probably 25-30psi). After that, I ran it lean a lot chasing fuel issues. I didn't really care because I knew I was going to pull the motor and build a really strong one after this season.

Well mid-season it started smoking pretty badly. Lots and lots of blowby. I did a compression check on it, and each hole was just slightly higher than I measured in my lawnmower. So, not good. 110-120psi. More than likely the compression rings either cracked or fatigued from the abuse.

At Nats, during my run days it started getting worse and worse. My third run it blew a hole in a piston and lost power. I haven't torn down the motor yet but I'm assuming only the cylinder head is usable at this point, which is fine. Long blocks are cheap, and I was going to put rods and pistons in it anyway.

Next motor will have higher static compression (10.5 or 11:1) to help turbo spool and torque off corners, and much stronger rods and pistons, plus head studs in case I ever want to run even more boost.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #320
Nick M3
Relic

Obviously, the solution is lots more boost.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote