carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Is there any discernible difference between a Macan Turbo and the Audi SQ5?

Just curious about the differentiation since they’re basically Oldsmobile/Buick to each other.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #22
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Is there any discernible difference between a Macan Turbo and the Audi SQ5?

Just curious about the differentiation since they’re basically Oldsmobile/Buick to each other.
I've driven both (owned one). I thought there was a LOT of difference in power delivery and even more in steering/handling feel. The SQ5 felt pretty much like any other SUV, like an X5 e.g. The Macan turbo (i had PASM but not air) suspension is fantastic. Great ride and very decent on turns. Also it seems to power about 75-80% to the rear most of the time and on turns; I'm not sure if the SQ5 does that... Having owned both the s4 and the macan turbo, I'd say the Macan turbo has better steering feel and has more balanced, "natural", rear-ish handling. Of course, the s4 is a lighter, lower smaller car and it might run away; I'm not sure if it's more fun to drive. I think the Cayennes I've driven feel better than the sq5. That car did nothing for me. But if you're spreadsheet shopping; it does check all the boxes on paper.

The macan magic does largely negate the height and weight; it just doesn't provide any more space than an s4 or a 340i.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #23
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I've driven both (owned one). I thought there was a LOT of difference in power delivery and even more in steering/handling feel. The SQ5 felt pretty much like any other SUV, like an X5 e.g. The Macan turbo (i had PASM but not air) suspension is fantastic. Great ride and very decent on turns. Also it seems to power about 75-80% to the rear most of the time and on turns; I'm not sure if the SQ5 does that... Having owned both the s4 and the macan turbo, I'd say the Macan turbo has better steering feel and has more balanced, "natural", rear-ish handling. Of course, the s4 is a lighter, lower smaller car and it might run away; I'm not sure if it's more fun to drive. I think the Cayennes I've driven feel better than the sq5. That car did nothing for me. But if you're spreadsheet shopping; it does check all the boxes on paper.

The macan magic does largely negate the height and weight; it just doesn't provide any more space than an s4 or a 340i.

I’m learning a lot through your experiences. When I’m compelled to try for one of those crossovers —I pause because you backed out of them. And back into cars.

So thanks.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote