carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 08-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
OBD-II Code Reader

My Tundra's CEL light came on yesterday (yeah, that was quick). It's running fine and I'm not overly concerned, but I figured I'd take this opportunity to get a code reader. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is there any reason not to get the cheapest one I can find?
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Why not just head down to the local Schucks / O'Riely / Autozone and have them run their OBD-II code reader for you?

Costs nothing.

At Schucks if I deposit my driver's license they'll let me take the code reader out into the parking lot and play with it on my own. Did the to pull some codes on the Jeep.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant View Post
My Tundra's CEL light came on yesterday (yeah, that was quick). It's running fine and I'm not overly concerned, but I figured I'd take this opportunity to get a code reader. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is there any reason not to get the cheapest one I can find?
If you just need to read codes one time, borrow the reader from an auto parts store.

If you need to read codes regularly, and/or zap the codes, get an inexpensive tool from a manufacturer like Actron.

If you want near-OEM-level coverage, get an AutoEnginuity ProLine tool and the enhanced package for the brand(s) of car(s) you have.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
zach
swinging for the fences

Thanks a lot, Terry. I think I'll just get an Actron one as it'll probably come in handy. Now, to figure out which one...
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant View Post
Thanks a lot, Terry. I think I'll just get an Actron one as it'll probably come in handy. Now, to figure out which one...
I have the CP9175, which is the top end of their scan-only tools (anything up from there has graphing, live playback, etc.). One of the CP9175's main features is an internal battery, so you can read the codes, unplug it from the car, and bring it back into the house to review the codes when you're near a computer. It also displays the message text for the various codes, not just the number.

It is around $100.

Don't bother with the CP9137 "Update cable" - they've never released any updates for the tool, and you can't use the cable to import results directly into a PC.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
I have the CP9175, which is the top end of their scan-only tools (anything up from there has graphing, live playback, etc.). One of the CP9175's main features is an internal battery, so you can read the codes, unplug it from the car, and bring it back into the house to review the codes when you're near a computer. It also displays the message text for the various codes, not just the number.

It is around $100.

Don't bother with the CP9137 "Update cable" - they've never released any updates for the tool, and you can't use the cable to import results directly into a PC.
That sounds good to me. Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Can't you get a fitting for the code reader you already have? Perhaps the BMW stuff is too different, but it seems like an adapter should make it work. Of course the codes might not mean anything without an index.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:39 AM   #8
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Can't you get a fitting for the code reader you already have? Perhaps the BMW stuff is too different, but it seems like an adapter should make it work. Of course the codes might not mean anything without an index.
What BMW reader does he have? If it is one of the Peake ones, it isn't a generic OBDII reader:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peake web site
The R5/FCX-3 is not an OBDII device, it is a factory-code scanner. Meaning, it reads the full range of detailed BMW factory codes (which are the same codes the dealer has access to.) In contrast, OBDII tools use a government-mandated, generic code language, and do not read any BMW factory codes.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
zach
swinging for the fences

I believe it's a Peake clone, so Terry is probably right...

I ended up ordering the 9410, which was pretty cheap.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
zach
swinging for the fences

The scanner arrived today. I'm not going to be able to use it until tonight. In the meantime, anyone want to try to guess what it'll come up with? The winner will receive a prize.