carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-24-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Worst rental car

Just got back from London with the family. Decided to rent a car and drive to the Cotswolds (beautiful!). Lots I could say about the experience of driving in Britain (not my first time, but my first time as a tourist in small, crowded areas), but maybe I'll mention that later.

To keep it short, I booked a MT car in the "Focus/Astra" class. We only had carry-ons, so not a problem, I thought. Having been burned with wimpy cars, I looked up the specs and it seemed that worst-case I was looking at around 100hp. Pretty bad, but should be workable.

I have good status with Hertz so when they gave me something called a Vauxhall Crossland I thought "hmmm, maybe they upgraded me to an small SUV." It was raining and by the time we found the car I was already disappointed. It looked well-worn and have nasty scratches on 3 wheels.

On to the car itself. A total POS. The rubberiest, most vague shifter imaginable. Clutch that only did anything in the first 20% of travel. Mega grabby brakes. I found out later that it only has 81bhp and a 0-60 of 14seconds. Seemed slower, frankly. Now add 500lb in passengers plus another >100lb+ in luggage. This thing could not put on ANY speed in 3rd at 3X mph floored. You had to be at 4krpm for it to do anything at any speed over 25mph with the slightest crest. Shifting lefty, it was hard to tell if I was in 1st or 3rd. Reverse made the most awful whiny noise ever. Rear visibility was horrid. At least it was small. That came in handy. Oh, and the car had close to 40k miles, which for such a POS car aside from it being in pretty good cosmetic condition, meant that there were all sorts of noises. I could not tell if they were normal "cheap/crappy car with bad insulation and noisy drivetrain" or "this thing could strand me at any moment."

So, yeah, not fun times.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
That sounds like heaven compared to the Geely I rented in Argentina a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6791.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	15946  
Old 04-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
That sounds like heaven compared to the Geely I rented in Argentina a few years ago.
That is pretty funny you posted that I was just thinking the same thing about my past rental cars in Argentina while reading FC's post.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:32 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Sure, in absolute terms, I am sure one could do worse. But against expectations, this was pretty bad.

That Geely looks terrible.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:31 PM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Makes my rental Subaru sound like cream puff!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:30 PM   #6
JST

Oof. A bunch of years ago we went to Ireland and I rented a Vauxhall Corsa; it had a similar engine and at the time I remember thinking it was appallingly slow. But at least that was a supermini; I can’t even imagine that power in a quasi SUV.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:15 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Go to 6:45. Pretty accurate. Of course, he is in a new car and by himself. He makes all the same comments: no power, high clutch engagement, sloppy gear box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NE7...el=NobbyOnCars
Old 04-24-2023, 10:13 PM   #8
JST

Yeah that doesn’t sound great—though that guy’s review was pretty entertaining
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:36 AM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I've never rented a car overseas, so I've missed most of the really bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.

I have, however, rented a Nissan Versa and a Toyota Yaris. They were both astonishingly bad.

The biggest surprise was a Kia Soul we had a couple years ago. That car was actually pretty damned good.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:13 AM   #10
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Man... I'm spoiled with the status I have. The worst rental car I've had lately was a Dodge Challenger.

The worst rental car I ever rented was an Opel Corsa in '92. Rented from a local place in Munich that we could walk to and had it for a weekend. Super basic car, but it did what we needed to (one of the guys I worked at BMW with and I drove to Stuttgart to visit the Mercedes and Porsche museums -- this was back when the Porsche Museum was just a hole in the wall single room with ~20 cars in it...).