carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-29-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
More E90 Pics and 1st drive *Lots of pics*

Well, I got to drive the E90 330i 6-speed SP yesterday. I figured you guys might be interested in what I have to say since I have a 330i ZHP.

Here it goes:

Well, first let me say that this is a refined version of the E46 for sure. The clutch is a little sensitive coming from a ZHP, and while the shifter is taller than Im used to, it was buttery smoothe. The car is much more stable than any E46 Ive driven around corners before. Even though the car was outfitted with 18" Bridgestone RE-050s the ride was not at all choppy over bumps. Of course, some may argue that feeling less of the road is not as good. I personally like the more agressive suspension on the ZHP to this car. Acceleration is quick and the engine sounds great after the 4000 RPM mark. Sounds more like a muffled V-8 than an inline-6. Didnt push it very hard but managed to jet onto the freeway and get up to about 80-85 MPH. Its scary how quiet the engine is at 80! I could hear the road far more than the engine.

Now for the interior and exterior. I dont like the looks of the back of the car at all. The front and front-3/4 angle views are pleasing but dont do much for me. The 18" rims seem too small for the car relative to what the 17" looked like on the E46. The fit and finish of the seats is very good and a lot of added padding has been added to the back/butt support area. All of the controls are intuitive and thank goodness no IDRIVE to screw around with. Forgot totally to test the radio! ops: The back seats are much better than the E46, but are a bit different in orientation. I can sit behind the drivers seat with my setting and Im 6'2", but the head room is significantly less than the E46. In addition, the foot entry area is smaller and makes it hard for us big foot guys (12 4E here) to get in/out without being extra careful. Finally, the engine compartment is huge. I can see how they designed it to fit the V8 of the future M3! It is also nice that they finally have done away with an all black covering for the engine. I like the silver black cover.

Well thats all she wrote folks!

All of the pics:

killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
sounds promising......for 95% of the driving population out there.

thanks for the insight. i will have to drive one myself but as BMWs get more refined, they also gain more weight (3400 pounds just about), more complexity and less road feel. it's worrisome to me.

why, for example, wouldn't someone like me go out and buy a G35 6speed (298hp) with a mechanical LSD and more room for $33k?

the critical question is: is the new 330 with more power enough to make you want to swap out of your ZHP for it?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
the critical question is: is the new 330 with more power enough to make you want to swap out of your ZHP for it?
Definately not. In fact, I would consider my ZHP to be my last new BMW with anything that the company has on the market or looks to bring to the market in the near future. The power was nice in the new 330i but did not compensate for the better gearbox, roadfeel, and rawness that my ZHP has.
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
> better gearbox

Why is the E46 gearbox better? Just the shorter throw?

> rawness that my ZHP has

You know you're in trouble when the E46 is a benchmark of rawness.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
ride365
Fresh-faced Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
Definately not. In fact, I would consider my ZHP to be my last new BMW with anything that the company has on the market or looks to bring to the market in the near future. The power was nice in the new 330i but did not compensate for the better gearbox, roadfeel, and rawness that my ZHP has.
... until the E90 ZHP.

it's not that i don't believe you -- i'm sure you really do feel that strongly. but it does sound a bit amusing considering the ZHP is the most recent "model" of the 3 before the E90, and you've already sworn off all future models.

i dunno... maybe it only sounds funny to me.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
ride365
Fresh-faced Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
that is precisely the sentiment i feebly tried to convey.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
well......by the looks of the new e90 330i, at least no one can genuinely make fun of the other vehicles such as the new a4 or the g35 look anymore.

when i look at the front, it's baby e60 (which i don't like) and when i look at the sides, it looks too similar (from photos) to the X-type Jaguar which is like Wal-Mart Jaguar to me, so on a superficial level, i already don't like it.

the wheels are disinterestingly neo-BMW. the interior looks okay. the E46 was already a quantum leap over the e36 interior, though.

i read in Roundel this month (where they test drive the 530xi and 530xiT in Finland) that BMW NA will be making the 330xiT available in the US finally. that's really cool.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:54 AM   #8
ayn
gone riding...

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2024 Tesla Model Y LR
I guess I'll go test drive it some time, since I live so close to the dealership here... I really have no interest in the E90 3er whatsoever, maybe the E90M3 later, but most likely not...

That steering wheel is pretty damn ugly...

--Andrew
Old 05-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
ayn
gone riding...

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2024 Tesla Model Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
> better gearbox

Why is the E46 gearbox better? Just the shorter throw?

> rawness that my ZHP has

The E46 gearbox really isn't any good, if the E90 is worse than the car is worthless... heh...
Old 05-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
ff

RE-050's, huh? That's a nice step up from the Conti's. Hopefully that (or an equivalent, or better) will be the standard SP tire for the 330, going forward.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote