carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #21
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
A very limited amount. Professional install and the pre-cut kits for most sections are more than I'm willing to pay.

The turbo Camaro fared pretty well except for the section just forward of the rear wheel wells (rock chips kicked up from front tires). I'm going to apply some Xpel Ultimate Plus to protect against that. I may apply a strip on the leading edge of the roof (because it would be cheap and easy), and there are the pieces that I already applied to the door edges. I also keep meaning to look at the front bumper to see if there are sections I think I can cut an apply well to cover vulnerable parts, but haven't yet.

If I had easy access to a photo like that, I would have used it, too.
I'll say that on the BMW, the flared rear wheel arches are covered by a small amount of PPF--and where they aren't covered, there is a fine sandblast of chips that looks like dust that never goes away. I would absolutely do more coverage on areas like that if I got a new car.

At the same time, the similar protectant film on the rear fenders of the Porsche looks like absolute crap. Not as bad as the pic I posted above, but...maybe not too far off. The saving grace for me is that my car isn't white, so it's not as noticeable. I suspect that PPF has come a long was since 2006, and I keep meaning to order new film for the Boxster, but I haven't gotten around to it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #22
Nick M3
Relic

I've found that it's much easier to just use their paint. Dab it in, wait a bit, and then polish it down with a glazing pad on a DA.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #23
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I've found that it's much easier to just use their paint. Dab it in, wait a bit, and then polish it down with a glazing pad on a DA.
When you say use 'their paint' are you referring to Dr Color chip or just regular touch up paint ? Also what is a DA ? Also what are you using to polish it with ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #24
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Trying to form expectations for what to expect from the top of the line Xpel film based on Matt's experience with Suntek Ultra three or four years ago is like trying to form an expectation for the Porsche you're waiting for an allocation on based on my experience with my Camaro.

I'm not saying PPF is definitely for you, but based on all the things that can happen, will happen, and what you've described as annoying, I think PPF is probably your best bet.
Good point about the time frame of the video, I didn't even realize it was from 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Alan, I agree with Clyde's comments above. New PPF films (we put a 10mil Xpel on the wagon) are really good, and I think they'd align very well with the way you use and take care of your cars. I think it would be one LESS thing for you to obsess about as opposed to something additional.
Josh, I am interested in hearing how you feel in a few months on this and how you feel the PPF has held up. Does PPF become just one more thing to worry about from scuffing up ? I have been down the same exact road as you with being behind a dump truck and I remember the R8 went from having one paint chip on the entire car to having over 40 of them .. it was horrible.

In that case I would have loved having the PPF but then if you think about it now I have the same chips but in the PPF (and possibly some that made it through) and now I get to spend another $2,500 having to redo the PPF or maybe more if they charge extra for removing the existing PPF.
You could say I would have spent that on repainting the hood but then I would be into the Hood for a total of $5,000 (2 PPF's) ... overall though I would have been ok with it being the hood wouldn't have had the chips then.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #25
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When you say use 'their paint' are you referring to Dr Color chip or just regular touch up paint ? Also what is a DA ? Also what are you using to polish it with ?
I think he's saying use the Dr. Colorchip paint but don't use their flattening solution. Flatten the chips with a Dual Action (DA) polisher.

This definitely works, but it also removes some of the surrounding clear coat near the chip. I prefer using Langka to flatten the repaired area but both methods work.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #26
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just spent some time watching the video below after watching a video by the same guy applying Dr color chip to his previous Porsche. He says some very interesting things about PPF … one thing he mentions is the edges which cannot be helped collect dirt, also rock chips will still show but now it’s on the PPF and not the car so while the paint might be protected (though he mentions some rocks do get through the PPF) you will still see the marks and yes your paint will look better but for the next owner.

Also sounds like you need to be more careful when washing not to mess up the seams or it will collect more dirt if you peel the PPF.

More things learned are parts of the PPF will get messed up/blemished and need to be redone or just learn to live with it.

Overalll sounds like it is going to require maintenance and is another thing to worry about which is like the ceramic coating on our M340, it became more of a hassle and annoyance and really took away from the enjoyment of the car, who wants to worry about sprinkler water getting on the car and ruining the ceramic coating which is what happened.

I am tempted to have the Caymans front done as a trial to see if I like it for my next car … something tells me I might just find it another thing to worry about instead of some rock chips

https://youtu.be/oO68EqULr0A
Any PPF installer worth a $h*t will wrap a large majority of the edges. My F15 X5 as well as my Mother’s F85 X5M and G05 X5 M50i were PPF’ed immediately after Performance Center delivery. The installer, Extreme Auto Colors in Greenville, SC performs all the PPF for BMW at the Performance Center on the vehicles they use/offer for use. You would be hard pressed to find edges. Installer is key…

You are truly over thinking it, but I get it as I am rather OCD in regards to my autos.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #27
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I think he's saying use the Dr. Colorchip paint but don't use their flattening solution. Flatten the chips with a Dual Action (DA) polisher.

This definitely works, but it also removes some of the surrounding clear coat near the chip. I prefer using Langka to flatten the repaired area but both methods work.
A glazing pad isn't going to do much cutting.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #28
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I depends on what compound you're using.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #29
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

Got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Any PPF installer worth a $h*t will wrap a large majority of the edges. My F15 X5 as well as my Mother’s F85 X5M and G05 X5 M50i were PPF’ed immediately after Performance Center delivery. The installer, Extreme Auto Colors in Greenville, SC performs all the PPF for BMW at the Performance Center on the vehicles they use/offer for use. You would be hard pressed to find edges. Installer is key…

You are truly over thinking it, but I get it as I am rather OCD in regards to my autos.
I think it is more like I am hoping to come up with reasons not to get it done while knowing I should ... yes like Clyde said I have mentioned it before, I absolutely hate giving my cars to anyone for any type of service especially a brand new car with only delivery mileage on it ... when I get a new car I dread people looking at it and/or sitting in it, I don't hear the compliments, all I see is them brushing up against my new paint or sitting in it with their jacket zippers hitting my interior trim ...

OTOH I am finding I am enjoying the research and learning about it, while I have watched YouTube video's here and there in the past I never really got into it like I have been now and it is pretty cool .. this whole subscribe thing is cool too though I am still learning how it works.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #30
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

Some spot’s are so intricate that it will require few extra pieces and cannot be done with one full piece. Example the bottom of my front bumper where there are three cut out’s, those had to be done each one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4CF7A6B-ECD3-40CF-9A50-D862C1F187E8.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	568.2 KB
ID:	14025