carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
robg
Carmudgeon

Actually considering an I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I think the I-Pace is gorgeous -- both outside and in. But range is its biggest issue -- 222 miles is the EPA rating.

That will be OK if you are using it for commuting and around town things. But if you are planning any road trips, just make sure there are CCS chargers at least every ~140 miles on the routes you are planning on driving. Plugshare.com is a great resource for planning.

My first Tesla had the small battery, and only had 208 miles of range when new. By the time I sold it, range was about 190. We did plenty of road trips in it, but I think the longest distance driven between charges was about 170 miles (back when the battery had about 200 miles of range) -- and that included a stretch where we drove 5 under the limit for about 50 miles just to make sure we could make the next Supercharger...

The nice thing about EV's that have ~300 mile range these days is that you no longer worry about that. You can drive 5-10 over the limit and not worry. The biggest gaps we've driven in either the Y or 3 have been under 200 miles, and we can easily skip a Supercharger and hit the next one. It really is the range that makes EV road trips super easy.

I find the epa ranges almost useless given how Tesla tends be more aggressive in how they report their numbers vs others. Plus the only time range really matters is on road trips/ highway speeds. The epa number is a combined figure. In Bjørn Nylands 120km/h test he got 211 miles in a model Y LR and 189 in an ipace. The AWD Mach E got less although that test was in winter. My point is that the real world range of all these cars seem close enough to where it’s not a big deciding factor for me. Probably going to add an hour extra of time per year spent fast charging the car between the best and worst cases given the way I’d use it. I’d much rather have a car I enjoy driving and being in 90% of the time vs having a little extra range on road trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:09 PM   #12
Alan
Carmudgeon

Never knew this car existed, it does look pretty cool but check out the reliability or should I say unreliability of this used iPace, Jaguars in general worry me, an electric one multiplies that worry by quite a lot.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Jaguar-I-Pace_w9548

Currently being on a road trip and our first stop just happens to be at 170 miles with tomorrow being closer to 220 miles I can’t see having an electric car, getting a hotel room was tough enough, just did a quick search and don’t see a hotel with charging anywhere near where we are staying, there is a Tesla charging station 10 minutes away but being we settled in at 8:30pm I wouldn’t want to now have to go sit in my car another hour charging it but I did spend 5 minutes filling it up with gas.

Rob are you really ready for an electric car ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Never knew this car existed, it does look pretty cool but check out the reliability or should I say unreliability of this used iPace, Jaguars in general worry me, an electric one multiplies that worry by quite a lot.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Jaguar-I-Pace_w9548

Currently being on a road trip and our first stop just happens to be at 170 miles with tomorrow being closer to 220 miles I can’t see having an electric car, getting a hotel room was tough enough, just did a quick search and don’t see a hotel with charging anywhere near where we are staying, there is a Tesla charging station 10 minutes away but being we settled in at 8:30pm I wouldn’t want to now have to go sit in my car another hour charging it but I did spend 5 minutes filling it up with gas.

Rob are you really ready for an electric car ?

When I click that link I just see a listing for a used ipace? What reliability issues does it mention (not seeing it )?

Agree that EVs are still less than ideal for road trips unless you really enjoy detailed pre-planning (as ZBB does). I just kind of realized that this car checks all (most) of the boxes I’ve been looking for in a daily driver:
-good interior room with hatchback practicality but not too big
-nice interior with great seats and high quality leather or cloth (realized all my bmws have given me back pain whereas I feel great driving the Range Rover. Ipace has similar seats.)
-smooth powertrain with no lag and good power (hard to find with turbo gas powered cars now especially when paired with the ubiquitous but clunky ZF 8 speed)
-good steering weight (an area where I find current bmws and audis lacking)
-comfortable suspension but not floaty/boaty
-attractive interior and exterior (pretty much non existent on bmws now)
-under 70k out the door

Neither of my 2 other contenders are EVs btw (s5 and x3 40).

And like I said it’s not like we take many long road trips anyway

Last edited by robg; 10-23-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #14
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
When I click that link I just see a listing for a used ipace? What reliability issues does it mention (not seeing it )?

Agree that EVs are still less than ideal for road trips unless you really enjoy detailed pre-planning (as ZBB does). I just kind of realized that this car checks all (most) of the boxes I’ve been looking for in a daily driver:
-good interior room with hatchback practicality but not too big
-nice interior with great seats and high quality leather or cloth (realized all my bmws have given me back pain whereas I feel great driving the Range Rover. Ipace has similar seats.)
-smooth powertrain with no lag and good power (hard to find with turbo gas powered cars now especially when paired with the ubiquitous but clunky ZF 8 speed)
-good steering weight (an area where I find current bmws and audis lacking)
-comfortable suspension but not floaty/boaty
-attractive interior and exterior (pretty much non existent on bmws now)
-under 70k out the door

Neither of my 2 other contenders are EVs btw (s5 and x3 40).

I am not sure why the link didn’t copy correctly but basically it was an iPace with monthly trips to the service department, it had 22 records 75% of them going for service within weeks of each other but I do agree with you that the iPace sounds really good otherwise and I completely get finding the right seat is a major plus (I love the multi contours i’ve had in all of my 5 series), I am not sure how old your kids are but I have noticed since my kids are in college we seem to be taking a lot of trips whether it’s to help them move in, visit schools (like we are doing this weekend for my youngest) or going to some college event and I am finding during these times it is really hard to get a good choice for a hotel since many parents are doing the same thing as us and are better at planning and I also notice that the hotels are not great selections especially the ones in upstate NY and the ones we encountered this weekend in Massachusetts haven’t been great either … none of them have charging facilities and unless these hotels are hiding them I just don’t see chargers anywhere. I just don’t have the ZBB patience for planning or waiting to get a car charged.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:55 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Agreed. I am much more likely to pick an EV for my second car, while retaining the flexibility of my ICE for my family/road trip car. For now.

Five or 10 years from now may mean a different decision.

Boxster EV in 2025 might be good timing for me personally as a replacement for the 2. The Mazda will only be four years old, while the 2 will be 8.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #16
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Agreed. I am much more likely to pick an EV for my second car, while retaining the flexibility of my ICE for my family/road trip car. For now.

Five or 10 years from now may mean a different decision.

Boxster EV in 2025 might be good timing for me personally as a replacement for the 2. The Mazda will only be four years old, while the 2 will be 8.

As much as that makes sense, for some reason, I’m not quite ready for an EV sport car.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #17
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
As much as that makes sense, for some reason, I’m not quite ready for an EV sport car.

I get that, too. Obviously the solution begins with three cars!
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #18
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I am not sure why the link didn’t copy correctly but basically it was an iPace with monthly trips to the service department, it had 22 records 75% of them going for service within weeks of each other but I do agree with you that the iPace sounds really good otherwise and I completely get finding the right seat is a major plus (I love the multi contours i’ve had in all of my 5 series), I am not sure how old your kids are but I have noticed since my kids are in college we seem to be taking a lot of trips whether it’s to help them move in, visit schools (like we are doing this weekend for my youngest) or going to some college event and I am finding during these times it is really hard to get a good choice for a hotel since many parents are doing the same thing as us and are better at planning and I also notice that the hotels are not great selections especially the ones in upstate NY and the ones we encountered this weekend in Massachusetts haven’t been great either … none of them have charging facilities and unless these hotels are hiding them I just don’t see chargers anywhere. I just don’t have the ZBB patience for planning or waiting to get a car charged.

Woukd be interested to see the service history. Not sure why the link isn’t working for me. Was it a 2019? I know the first year cars were problematic.

I think I’m equal parts tech geek and car enthusiast. I’ve been on again off again about EVs ever since the model S came out. Even this week I’ve considered v8 Dodge a Chargers and IS500s along with the ipace!

Too much overthinking for sure but that’s just how it goes these days. I think the car purchase decisions are those that kind of just fall in my lap where I dont have time to really analyze it. The Ranbe Rover Soort was like that. Never considered or even thought about one until the deal dropped into my lap. Barely researched it as well. Now it’s my favorite daily driver I’ve ever had.

In this price range, frankly, an x3 40 is hard to beat since it does so much so well. I think I just have a feeling of “been there done that” when it comes to bmws and even audis as well. I’m even a bit exhausted by Porsches too with all our discussions on the boxster and 911!

I think part of the appeal of the ipace is that you rarely see them - there’s an element of novelty. Plenty of risk as well as you point out though. Ah well im sure next week I’ll be onto a different car obsession!

Old 10-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #19
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:

Agree that EVs are still less than ideal for road trips unless you really enjoy detailed pre-planning (as ZBB does).

We don't really pre-plan much anymore. The first couple Tesla road trips definitely needed it -- just since there were huge areas with charging gaps, and we had a small battery car. For road trips now, we let the car tell us where to go and when to stop for a charge. The only pre-planning we do is to look for hotels with charging, especially if our destination is more than ~20 minutes away from a Supercharger. Sometimes that leads to nice surprises -- I didn't worry about checking to see if our hotel in Moab had charging since it was 3 blocks from the Supercharger -- but we then saw they had charging in the garage a couple hours after check-in...

One thing about range is that all cars get below EPA rated range when driving at 80ish (ie 120 km/h). The EPA range is a multi-cycle weighted average and you have to average about 55-60mph to get it. Drive slower, you get more range. Drive faster, you get less range.