carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-18-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Finally drove a Lamborghini

I always wanted to drive a Lamborghini and yesterday I finally got to, my son & I did this thing called Velocity driving https://velocitydriving.com and we were able to do 4 laps each on a small auto crossing course.

All I can say is wow that car is amazing, the power is incredible, the sound is amazing, the car just feels so fast, so agile and the transmission shifts instantly. The steering has really nice feel and on this small autocross track it feels so natural driving it through the curves as if I have driven it for years.

Unfortunately it went very fast and the drive was over as fast as it began ... also the downside for me is the seat has such little travel I don't know how people fit in this thing, I am around 5'10" and I really needed a lot more room ... maybe the coupe has more room but going by my feeling in the Gallardo coupe (just sat in it, didn't drive it) that car also felt small. My R8 had much more room in it which is strange since they are supposed to be on the same platform.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lambo.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	13897  
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
That's cool. I'll need to do that some day, just to check the box.

What always fascinates me about Lambo's is how wide and how low they are. When you mean "small" do you mean headroom? Because I could totally see that.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I did one of those type of events in a GT3. Yeah goes very quickly since I barely remember what it was like to driver the car
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I always wanted to drive a Lamborghini and yesterday I finally got to, my son & I did this thing called Velocity driving https://velocitydriving.com and we were able to do 4 laps each on a small auto crossing course.

All I can say is wow that car is amazing, the power is incredible, the sound is amazing, the car just feels so fast, so agile and the transmission shifts instantly. The steering has really nice feel and on this small autocross track it feels so natural driving it through the curves as if I have driven it for years.

Unfortunately it went very fast and the drive was over as fast as it began ... also the downside for me is the seat has such little travel I don't know how people fit in this thing, I am around 5'10" and I really needed a lot more room ... maybe the coupe has more room but going by my feeling in the Gallardo coupe (just sat in it, didn't drive it) that car also felt small. My R8 had much more room in it which is strange since they are supposed to be on the same platform.
I work with a spine surgeon who's a car nut. He brings along his Physician's Assistant to Vegas and they get the chance to drive some of the hottest supercars with this outfit.

They go at least once a year, and his PA doesn't even drop a dime because the surgeon pays for it all.

Lucky bastard ....
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That's cool. I'll need to do that some day, just to check the box.

What always fascinates me about Lambo's is how wide and how low they are. When you mean "small" do you mean headroom? Because I could totally see that.
The seat travel back and forth is very little, in other words I am sitting way too close to the steering wheel, to give you an idea when I had my 1st generation Boxster I needed maybe another inch of travel, this Lambo made that boxster seem roomy ... I was really surprised how close I had to sit to the steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
I work with a spine surgeon who's a car nut. He brings along his Physician's Assistant to Vegas and they get the chance to drive some of the hottest supercars with this outfit.

That looks much better then what I did, that one is on an actual racetrack ... super cool !!

Also I should have pointed out I got a deal on Group on, what would have been for each of us $249 + $40 insurance charge (they charge everyone this so beware), I paid $75 + $40 insurance charge each.

For what I paid it was worth it plus my son loved it, if I had to pay almost $600 for both of us I would have felt differently.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
The seat travel back and forth is very little, in other words I am sitting way too close to the steering wheel, to give you an idea when I had my 1st generation Boxster I needed maybe another inch of travel, this Lambo made that boxster seem roomy ... I was really surprised how close I had to sit to the steering wheel.
Interesting. On my 987, I never felt seat travel was an issue. Then again, some people like to sit further back.

Related story... My FIL is 1-2 inches shorter than I am (and not a long-legged fellow), yet when I get in his car, I need to bring the seat forward several inches. It's downright uncomfortable how far away things are.

I took note of how he drives, and his back is hardly on the seatback and his right knee is hardly bent, with his heel never resting on the floor.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Interesting. On my 987, I never felt seat travel was an issue. Then again, some people like to sit further back.

Related story... My FIL is 1-2 inches shorter than I am (and not a long-legged fellow), yet when I get in his car, I need to bring the seat forward several inches. It's downright uncomfortable how far away things are.

I took note of how he drives, and his back is hardly on the seatback and his right knee is hardly bent, with his heel never resting on the floor.
I sit too far reclined for my height (6'8") ok just kidding I'm 5'10", I am pretty sure the 986 I had has a little less room then the 987. I fit fine in my 718 though my seatback is up against the firewall.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

How does it compare with the R8 driving-wise?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
How does it compare with the R8 driving-wise?
While it was a really short time driving my quick response is it is a lot more agile, smaller and more of a drivers car then the R8.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Also I should have pointed out I got a deal on Group on, what would have been for each of us $249 + $40 insurance charge (they charge everyone this so beware), I paid $75 + $40 insurance charge each.

For what I paid it was worth it plus my son loved it, if I had to pay almost $600 for both of us I would have felt differently.
$110/pp is a good deal. I'd be really tempted to try it out for that money.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote